Silly question but I have to ask about TV

louanddave

I understand that there is a 6 hour time change between Hawaii and Florida.

Can someone tell me then, if the TV shows are broadcast at different times.

Example, if we watch American Idol on Fox at 8pm on Tuesdays in Florida,

what time would it be shown in Hawaii......2pm?

Thanks

Lou

Interesting question - I remember when all our shows were shipped over and we saw most of them (including "news" shows like "Today") a week late. Things have improved.

In general, we get "network" shows at the same time locally that they show on the west coast. In other words, if a show is on at 8 PM PST, it will probably be broadcast here at 8 PM local time.

Satellite TV is obviously different - shows are on at whatever hour they're broadcast from the station you're tuning into.

Sports are almost a third category these days - events are often broadcast "live" (so a baseball game at 6 PM on the east coast might air at noon here).

On the other hand, who'd want to watch "American Idol" when they're paying big bucks to be in the cast of "American Paradise?" Turn the damn thing OFF and enjoy your stay!

Actually, for American Idol, the show is 1 hour earlier than network sceduled time. If it is 9pm on the east coast, it will be at 8pm our time. I find that other shows do that. It might be only Fox, not sure. Just check the local listings.

I watch AI all the time....but Ka Honu is right...why watch TV on vacation...there are far better things to do!

Suebee and I are both right. What I forgot to say is that if a show is scheduled for 9 PM on the east coast, it's generally shown at 8 PM (local time) on both the west coast and in Hawaii.

I find that if I watch the promos for the "network" programming...the shows air here in Hawaii at the CST time. So, if they say 8pm eastern and 7pm central...then we get it at the central time or the earlier time. Anything on the satellite (Dish Network) is advertised on the Eastern time zone...so I have to subtract 6 hrs. from the time they advertise the show. However, most of the satellite channels repeat their evening programming...so I can usually catch whatever I want by watching the on-screen guide and see a repeat of the show on the same day. It's very confusing! Especially with the eastern times going to and from daylight savings time..subtract 5 or 6 hour?? Yikes!

Bottom line is......AI is on here in the islands at 7pm on Tuesdays...and the results show is on Wednesday at 8pm. Can you tell I love AI???

So there are 2 major time zones in terms of network programming. The first is the east side of country with X time EST (Eastern) and X-1 time CST (Central). The second is the west side of the country with X time MST (Mountain) and X-1 time PST (Pacific).

Hawaii's broadcast times follow CST and PST. Alaska might follow EST and MST times (don't know).

Of course, as others have said, sports and other special live events can totally screw up times. :)

Spleen

Guest nhrich
Of course, as others have said, sports and other special live events can totally screw up times. :)

Spleen

Actually, it was great getting up in the morning in Hawaii and watching the Patriots play at 7 AM over coffee!

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Actually, it was great getting up in the morning in Hawaii and watching the Patriots play at 7 AM over coffee!

It's great watching the Patriots play at any hour :D ....but it is great when you can watch the entire superbowl without worrying about going to bed so late. When I lived in Japan, the game was over by 11am! Now at least the superbowl makes it to dinner.

PS, I am a former New Englander myself.

Actually, here on the West Coast, we get programs at the same hour as the East Coast. So tonight's AI Results Show will air at 9pm ET, 8pm CT, and 9pm PT. Can't tell you about Alaskan time as I didn't see any tv in Alaska or Mountain Time. The few exceptions would include sports programming and the Oscars which is broadcast here live.

Network "Prime time" is 8-11pm Eastern & Pacific time... 7-10pm Central time, and Hawaiian time (and I believe Mountain as well, but I've never lived in that time zone)

Archived