Le Verdon to Royan

terrifish

On our fall cruise we will be docked in LeVerdon to go to Bordeaux about 2 hours away. We will be there for 2 full days are looking for an alternative to the cruise ship tours that are from $100- $200 for one of the days. (also want to avoid the long bus trip 2 days in a row)

We can take the ferry to Royan-- it looks like a lovely little town that could keep us busy for the day, but the shuttle that runs in the summer connecting the tourist spots doesn't run.

If there is someone who has been there before, can you tell me if it is easily walkable from the ferry to the areas that we might want to spend the day or if a taxi would be a better bet. There looks like there is also a zoo but it is 8 km away. I see there is a bus system but none of us speak any French:D. I have tried to find a city tour of some kind but I don't see anything.

I guess I want advise, will we be able to find enough people that speak English to help us with transportation or should we stick with the ship's tours?

Thanks for any help you can give.

We too are in Le Verdon for 2 days on Celebrity Constellation 5th October. We would also like a second day without a 2-3 hour trip to Bordeaux/StEmillion which we will be doing on the second day?

Is there a viable full day within a few miles along the cost? There is very little available information on Le Verdon and tours, but surely there must be some alternative to the wineries of Bordeaux?

Terri...looking at 12 cruise from Southampton along French, Spanish and Portugal coast which includes Verdon. Where are you researching things to do on this route? Where did you find info about Royan?

We are on the Celebrity Sep. 19 wine immersive cruise that stops in Le Verdon.

I read from another post on here about Royan and just googled it to get info about the ferry etc. I received a reply from my email to the LaPalmyre Zoo that we can take bus Ligne 31 from the ferry port all the way along the coast to the zoo (supposed to be about 8 km I think). I am hoping there are other things to see along this route. There is also a nice garden "de monde" in this city but the bus looks more complicated to get there.

Here is the link to the bus information-- you have to have google translate the page.

www.carabus-transport.com

So, I think we will take the ferry over to Royan and either take the bus or a taxi if we can't figure out the bus system.

I really hope there will be some reviews posted by those who go before us on this cruise so that we can learn from them because there just isn't much information on what can be done from these ports if you arren't really interested in the wine tours.

We are on the Celebrity Sep. 19 wine immersive cruise that stops in Le Verdon.

I read from another post on here about Royan and just googled it to get info about the ferry etc. I received a reply from my email to the LaPalmyre Zoo that we can take bus Ligne 31 from the ferry port all the way along the coast to the zoo (supposed to be about 8 km I think). I am hoping there are other things to see along this route. There is also a nice garden "de monde" in this city but the bus looks more complicated to get there.

Here is the link to the bus information-- you have to have google translate the page.

www.carabus-transport.com

So, I think we will take the ferry over to Royan and either take the bus or a taxi if we can't figure out the bus system.

I really hope there will be some reviews posted by those who go before us on this cruise so that we can learn from them because there just isn't much information on what can be done from these ports if you arren't really interested in the wine tours.

Thanks for that info.

[quote name=

So, I think we will take the ferry over to Royan and either take the bus or a taxi if we can't figure out the bus system. ]

Terrifish,

We have a group going on the Sept 19 wine cruise and our plans involve taking the ferry over to Royan as well, renting a car from the train station and driving to St. Emillion. I've been trying to find out how far the ferry terminal is from where we dock with no results so far. Do you know? I sure hope it is within walking distance since I've read there are no taxis. I will post our results for those taking the cruise after us. I have asked the folks to post who are going before us. Maybe if we all work together we can figure this out.

Terrifish,

We have a group going on the Sept 19 wine cruise and our plans involve taking the ferry over to Royan as well, renting a car from the train station and driving to St. Emillion. I've been trying to find out how far the ferry terminal is from where we dock with no results so far. Do you know? I sure hope it is within walking distance since I've read there are no taxis. I will post our results for those taking the cruise after us. I have asked the folks to post who are going before us. Maybe if we all work together we can figure this out.

That sounds like a great day. I too hope we will be right near the ferry -- my only information came from another post by someone who like us, hadn't been there yet. I did read that the ferry is 3 miles and takes 20 minutes. http://www.montalivet-info.com/verdon-royan-ferry.htm This link is for the ferry.

I too hope we will be right near the ferry

Terryfish,

I emailed the tourist office in Le Verdon asking about our situation. Haven't heard anything yet, but will let you know. In the mean time, I've been trying to find cruise reviews that included Le Verdon. I know P & O and Princess have used this port. So far, it's been slow going. Let me know if you find any useful info, and hopefully someone who has done this will come across this post and fill us in.

Terryfish,

I emailed the tourist office in Le Verdon asking about our situation. Haven't heard anything yet, but will let you know. In the mean time, I've been trying to find cruise reviews that included Le Verdon. I know P & O and Princess have used this port. So far, it's been slow going. Let me know if you find any useful info, and hopefully someone who has done this will come across this post and fill us in.

Any reply from the tourist office?

She wrote me that it was not an easy walk - 3 km from our ship to the ferry dock which is only about 2 miles...but once we get over to Royan it's another couple of miles to the car rental and then we have to do it in reverse at the end of the day. She did give me a phone number for a taxi. This is clearly a difficult port to DIY. Celebrity is offering Bordeaux on Your Own for $89pp and it's starting to sound pretty good!

We used Bordeaux taxi association a couple of years ago and have a quote from tehm for October this year for a taxi for 8 to & from Le Havre of 400 euro or a city tour for 560 euro for 8 they also do wine tours and tours of the area.E mail

contact@bordeaux-excursions.com

Hi Jo-- Is this tour from LeHavre or from Le Verdon? For a tour of Bordeaux? Can you give any more details on what you are planning? Thanks so much.

The tourist office in Le Verdon sent me a phone number for a taxi: 06.75.28.20.76. In the end, we decided not to DIY and booked our guide for the second day as well. Fortunately he was available. Good luck to all who decide to DIY - I am very interested in hearing how your day turned out.

Hi Chicotam,

We're on the Oct13 cruise. Which guide are you using in Bordeaux?

Hi Sunshine 81 - we are using Frederic Borliachon. His website is http://www.rendezvousauchateau.com He is very reasonable and is well regarded on Trip Advisor. I believe we are in good hands. We will be going to St Emilion one day and the other touring chateaus around the Medoc region.

I am so surprised that there are no tours from Le Verdon. I am still hopeful that we can still DIY on the day. There was a mention somewhere that the locals put on some tours?? I wonder!!!:confused:

I am so surprised that there are no tours from Le Verdon. I am still hopeful that we can still DIY on the day. There was a mention somewhere that the locals put on some tours?? I wonder!!!:confused:

I sent an email to the Royan tourism office explaining that there were many people that might like to take a local trip or have transportation to the ferry so that we might visit Royan and asked if perhaps there would be someone from Royan that might provide transportation.

Apparently, they are not that interested in making any money from us because the only suggestion was that we probably could rent bicycles somewhere and take the bicycles on the ferry and around Royan.:D At least they didn't suggest I rent a boogie board to surf over.

I sent an email to the Royan tourism office explaining that there were many people that might like to take a local trip or have transportation to the ferry so that we might visit Royan and asked if perhaps there would be someone from Royan that might provide transportation.

Apparently, they are not that interested in making any money from us because the only suggestion was that we probably could rent bicycles somewhere and take the bicycles on the ferry and around Royan.:D At least they didn't suggest I rent a boogie board to surf over.

Oh dear!! Don't you feel their 'missing the boat' here?!!!!! Excuse the pun. Surely there's a HUGE market here from the cruise industry for them?!! Hey ho.:D

• 1 month later...
Take a taxi from verdon port to either soulac sur mer which is a pretty French holiday resort nearby the port or verdon sur mer and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

We will be there early October, so not sure we can make most of the beaches...is there anything else to see??

• 1 month later...

I will be taking the Wine Immersion cruise on Oct. 25th, and will be interested in hearing from cruisers as they complete this trip. At this time we are planning a DIY trip into Bordeaux. Two individuals at Celebrity (one general info;one shore excursions) have told me there will be taxis at the pier when we arrive. There is a train from the 'city center' in Le Verdon to Bordeaux. We will stay in Bordeaux overnight and return by train the next day.

I would be interested to hear of the conditions at the pier. Are there really taxis available? Is the cruise ship pier near the ferry terminal?

Archived