Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

Boatbunny, I think you missed your calling in career choices. If you ever become a TA I think you would do quite well. I know there have been many posts regarding time availability but I noticed in your OP that you were in GC on Explorer of the Seas. I will be there in a couple of weeks with EOS. I was a little disappointed when I realized how short our stay is in GC. Ship arrives at 9:30am, departs 5:30pm with tendering in and out. Can you please comment on your own timing to get to shore and when you had to tender back.

Thanks, I also gave that career some serious consideration too!

We were on GC for the same time period as you will be. Tendering in GC is very easy and quick, it is only about a 10 min tender ride at the most, and GC is such a well equipped port that the tenders are constantly running.

You should have no issue heading to Rum Point during your visit.

There is plenty of shopping right at the pier area, so if you head back from Rum Point by 2:30 or 3:00, you should have plenty of time to return the car and get in a little shopping.

Have an awesome trip!

Michelle, the best of luck with your pastry shop. You'll have to share more details. Who knows I might see you of Food Network TV.

Thanks! Right now I just want to get opened, but I'll take Food TV in a few months if they come calling!

Just wanted to post a quick one because I had such a wonderful surprise today!! One of our fellow CC members who I have been corresponding with (sealegs) as a result of this thread, stopped by my shop today! She was visiting her family here in Boston area. It was so great to meet her in person.

Another great reason why cruising is so great, you can make lifelong friends who share the same interests as you.

Lonnie, thanks for stopping in, it meant a lot to me. Let's keep in touch so next time you are in town, we can spend more time together!

PS- Shop hasn't opened yet, we are shooting for Tuesday. Had a few equipment glitches mid week that ended up postponing us, but we are close now!

Thanks for all the support!

Michelle

Just wanted to post a quick one because I had such a wonderful surprise today!! One of our fellow CC members who I have been corresponding with (sealegs) as a result of this thread, stopped by my shop today! She was visiting her family here in Boston area. It was so great to meet her in person.

Another great reason why cruising is so great, you can make lifelong friends who share the same interests as you.

Lonnie, thanks for stopping in, it meant a lot to me. Let's keep in touch so next time you are in town, we can spend more time together!

PS- Shop hasn't opened yet, we are shooting for Tuesday. Had a few equipment glitches mid week that ended up postponing us, but we are close now!

Michelle

I'm sure that was nice suprise. Hope your opening goes smoothly. When you get a chance share your vision. Do you have a web page? Will you be doing mail order. My children have college friends in Boston. When they go there to visit I'll have them bring me back something from your shop.

I had planned to take your advice and rent a car for myself, dh, bil and sil. Now my BIL is telling my husband it is not safe to drive in foreign countries. I say if we buy the insurance it will be fine. I am only hesitant about the driving on the wrong side. Is that diffcult?

thanks

cathy

I'm sure that was nice suprise. Hope your opening goes smoothly. When you get a chance share your vision. Do you have a web page? Will you be doing mail order. My children have college friends in Boston. When they go there to visit I'll have them bring me back something from your shop.

I had planned to take your advice and rent a car for myself, dh, bil and sil. Now my BIL is telling my husband it is not safe to drive in foreign countries. I say if we buy the insurance it will be fine. I am only hesitant about the driving on the wrong side. Is that diffcult?

thanks

cathy

Honestly, we had the same concern, this was the first time we had rented a car outside of the country, and driven on the other side of the road. It was actually pretty easy. The wierdest thing is taking a right hand turn, but just follow the car in front of you and it's no biggie. The roads you will travel on to get to Rum Point don't have much traffic on them. I would recommend getting the insurance, Cico;s price is very reasonable and includes the insurance.

I do have a website, just went live this weekend:

http://www.sweetseasonspastries.com

We aren't doing mail orders yet, but it is something we;ll grow into.

Thanks for the words of support, they help when I start having second thoughts about whether I'm nuts starting my own business!

Michelle

Quick question about safety at Rum Point. There will only be two of us in our group aside from the rest in the Native Way tour (but they probably won't count because we won't know them well). Anyway, as you can imagine, we will probably be spending a lot of time in the water. Will the backpacks with shirts/shoes, sunblock, sunglasses etc. be safe while we are snorkeling? Obviously we will be going with the attitude don't take what you don't want to lose, but having a general idea of the risk of losing will help some. Are there lockers or do you just leave your stuff on your hammock or lounge chair?

Michelle

Michelle-

Just stopped in on the boards to see if the Star Princess left yesterday (hubby and the kids' hairdresser was suppoed to sail the Western Route 10/23. I told him about Rum Point.) I stumbled upon your post.

Thanks for the kind words. It was fun to find the shop and great to meet you. The website is fantastic. Now- to just be able to sample the pastries...

As you see, you not only have a Rum Point fan club, but CCers around the globe will trekk to N.H. just for your pastries (or mail order when the time comes).

Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day when your dream becomes a reality (besides the bills).

To answer the safety question about leaving your items. If you take Nativeways, leaving your personal articles on the boat is very safe. We did it and so did others. As for leaving articles on chairs at Rum Point, get friendly with others on your tour, sit together and ask someone who isn't swimming to keep an eye on your belongings - that's all that is needed. I would not leave anything besides clothing and snorkel equipment on the chairs unattended (ie: camera, lots of cash, etc) We left our belongings on the chairs (but took the camera and cash) when we ate lunch at the "restaurant" part. No one was interested in our stuff.

Enjoy- with the Nor'easter here in NY, I'd love to be in a warmer climate (at Rum Point) right now!

I opened this thread to see if anyone had posted anything about any damage from the hurricanes. Then I saw the link for Michelle's pastry shop. I kinda forgot about Rum Point after viewing her website! I think she should sell them at Rum Point, then we would have the best of both worlds! I have to get to New Hampshire sometime.

I just wanted to tell you that your pastry shop's website is fantastic! If I ever get out that way, that would be my first place to stop. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor and look forward to you possibly having mail order service.

Oh, and of course I hope that Rum Point did not sustain any damage.:) Still looking forward to going there in February.

De

We were at Rum Point on August 17th. There were 4 cruise ships in Cayman harbor that day.

We arrived at 11AM. There were only about 10 people there (many empty chairs). The Nativeways lunch boats (2) arrived about 12:30PM. Each boat had 10 or so people.

The waitress there has it down pat. We ordered our lunch just before the Nativeways folks arrived. Our lunch came out and then theirs did (orders are called in via cell phone by Nativeways). Everyone was served quickly -and it was cooked to order food. I had grilled mahi-mahi with beans and rice. The best mahi-mahi I've ever eaten. Yes, theprices are high (it's the Cayman's). But- we're from NY and have seen higher prices -and we were on vacation.

So to answer your question- 10's of people, not hundreds.

It was so exciting to see Michelle's pastry shop (no food was there). It's cute - several tables with chairs and nice wallpaper border. I'll be back.

• 3 weeks later...

We followed the advice on this board and rented a Jeep 4x4 and drove to Rum Point on 11/7 on our stop on the Century Zenith. My husband had no problem driving on the left (it is easy driving 'to' as you are primarily making left turns). When we arrived, the beach had less than 15 visitors. The location is beautiful. I spoke with a couple who snorkeled extensively and the husband only saw 4 fish under the dock while the wife did not see anything. We sat down for lunch, ordered, and then the Celebrity tour arrived. We proceeded to wait for nearly an hour for our order as the server explained that the tour was backing up the kitchen. No big deal but our children were quite hungry while patiently awaiting lunch. It was a bit upsetting that 3 other 'independant' tables that ordered after us received their orders first (we did not order anything unusual). There were about 40 guests on the tour and they departed after about 2 hours. Our big mistake was spending $40 to fill the gas tank upon returning to the rental agency. When we returned the vechicle, Avis informed my husband that cruise passengers have a 'special' and there is not a charge for refueling. Verify this upon renting and save lots of money! I would definitely recommend Rum Point for a beautiful and relaxing day

We just got back from our cruise (just in time according to weather reports). We took the Nativeways tour on 11/16 (Rays, Reef and Rum). Rum point was beautiful, however, I was very disappointed after reading all of these posts due to the fact that after we ate our lunch, we went to find a beach chair and there were none to be found. We wanted sun and all the empty tables were in the shade, so we grabbed our beer and sat on the dock for the remaining hour that we were there. I really dont think that we will go back.

Hi Stacy,

This was our first cruise (did not take kids) so I really don't have anything to compare it to. We really enjoyed ourselves. The ship was nice and easy to find our way around. Everything was always clean and for 1900 passengers, there never seemed to be a crowd. (We even got the hot tubs to ourselves several times!) In fact, I was surprised how quickly we started recognizing certain people! The decor of our stateroom was outdated (teal and gold), but I didn't mind. The only thing I saw that surprised me were the chairs in the dining room were a little worn. Still comfortable, but considering that LOS was drydocked not too long ago, I got the impression that everything would be in top shape. If you haven't done so already, go to the roll call page on this board and meet the people that you are sailing with. I met many wonderful people on this cruise from this site and everyone has different experiences and advice to offer. Have a wonderful cruise!!

Tammy

Archived