Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

Went back to check AVIS with the dates being a day apart and its still saying sold out????

i give up:(

We rented a car through them last Christmas. If I remeber correctly there is a special link for people on cruise ships. Did you try that! It also said that cars were unavailable foir the date we wanted, but when I went to the cruisers link it worked and I got two as needed.

Good luck. Oh thisa was the Avis one.

suzanne

• 3 weeks later...

I got my reservations through AVIS, like recommended here, but all they sent was a confirmation #. Do I need to secure with a credit card? I have a feeling I may show up and there would be no PT cruiser. It is the highlight of my trip, so I don't want to mess it up.

Wow guys, I can't believe this thread is still going! I got a flurry of requests for pictures in the last week and decided I should checkin to see if this thread had been revived. I can't believe that it is 15 months later and it's still so vibrant.

Thanks to everyone who has kept it going. I had been swamped starting a new business, which ultimately closed, so I haven't had much time to post.

We didn't take a vaca this year, due to the business, but right now I am searching for the perfect house to rent in Rum Point next April. I can't wait to go back, nor can my family!

I am so glad everyone had as wonderful of an experience as we did, although my husband is still mad at me for writing this because now all of you are going to retire there like us and it will drive up the real estate prices! (like they're not already driven up!)

Please don't hesitate to email me at my personal email:

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

It may have been a while, but that day is as vivid in my mind today as it was 15 months ago!

Michelle

Wow guys, I can't believe this thread is still going! I got a flurry of requests for pictures in the last week and decided I should checkin to see if this thread had been revived. I can't believe that it is 15 months later and it's still so vibrant.

Thanks to everyone who has kept it going. I had been swamped starting a new business, which ultimately closed, so I haven't had much time to post.

We didn't take a vaca this year, due to the business, but right now I am searching for the perfect house to rent in Rum Point next April. I can't wait to go back, nor can my family!

I am so glad everyone had as wonderful of an experience as we did, although my husband is still mad at me for writing this because now all of you are going to retire there like us and it will drive up the real estate prices! (like they're not already driven up!)

Please don't hesitate to email me at my personal email:

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

It may have been a while, but that day is as vivid in my mind today as it was 15 months ago!

Michelle

Michelle ~ every chance I get I recommend this thread and actually I have included a link to it in my Freedom Inaugural Review... the info found here is awesome. Thank you for starting it and for adding your thoughts. We will again be renting a vehicle with new friends and visit Rum Point again on Freedom in Oct.

We had a lot of rain on our visit there in June so ready to have a nice sunny day there.... and oh the food was great at the Wreck bar

• 1 month later...
Michelle ~ every chance I get I recommend this thread and actually I have included a link to it in my Freedom Inaugural Review... the info found here is awesome. Thank you for starting it and for adding your thoughts. We will again be renting a vehicle with new friends and visit Rum Point again on Freedom in Oct.

Good Grief Emmy! I haven't found a thread yet where you haven't posted at already. lol :)

I'd love to go to Rum Point, but does anyone know of an excursion that goes there and NOT Stingray City also?

We are a family of six so renting a jeep wouldn't work for us. I don't want to drive so two jeeps wouldnt work either.

Kris

Kris, there is another Van tour company out there that goes to Rum Point. It is pretty hard to find their link, but I know I have seen it! Try a Grand Cayman google search and maybe something will come up. We just booked the 4x4 Jeep tour. I can let you know if I find anything else when on island in 40+ days.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

• 1 month later...

Regarding a wheelchair user at Rum Point...

The restroom facilites are accessible.

There are boardwalks throughout the property including out onto the dock. Ramps are in place to the restrooms and gift shop. The ramp to the dive shop is more awkward, though the staff is helpful and can come out from behind the counter to go down the few steps.

Table service outside is available from the waitstaff, but the inside bar is not at a comfortable height for a wheelchair user.

The parking lot is a crushed stone lot, and not paved, and water tends to pool if it rains. They regraded the parking lot a few months ago, but its worth testing the depth of any puddles before trying to roll through. :eek:

As far as assitance transferring from wheelchair to lounge chair... dunno. I've never noticed anyone asking for such assistance. Some chairs, particularly thise near the foot of the dock, are quite near the boardwalks. Others are much further away.

• 2 months later...

What a great thread! Thanks for all the great information! We are on The Star Princess that will be in GC on March 6 this year. We are going to rent a car and go to Rum Point! (group of 10) I will report back here, post-cruise!

Thnaks again!

• 4 months later...

We will be in GC in July and REALLY want to go to Rum Point. I contacted Avis and a company to have a private driver. The jeep will cost $106 total and the driver will be $280. I would rather have our own car but I am also a little worried about driving on the left and about getting lost. Is is much easier than I am thinking or should we stick with a driver?? How long does it take to turn your car back in-quick like here or do they go out and inspect it and it take a while, don't want to miss the ship!! :eek:

I'd like to rent a car from Avis in late June. The only company that has the van and driver is booked for the day. They offered us a private tour w/Rum Pointe included but I don't like the itineraries they suggested, and I don't want to pay that much. So I'd like to just go for it on our own.

One thing is that our ship is in port from 8-4. I figure after tendering and getting the shuttle to the airport location to get the car and driving to Rum Pointe, we will have 10:00 am til 1 in the Rum Pointe area (also want to see the starfish nearby, and maybe the blowholes if that is nearby) then return the car and get back to the ship, maybe have a little time to shop before the tender if everything goes ok.

Does that sound right and doable? Am I pressing it with this amt. of time?

Eileen

We were at RUm Point last month while on Freedom.... we used http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

They provided a private driver and a van for the 6 of us. We had a great time the island tour part was very informative and we went to places off the beaten track..... We were able to spend about 2 1/2 hours at RUm Point.... enought to eat lunch great food and swim and relax. Gino was our driver and he was great....

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always been a little weary of renting a car on the islands, but after reading the great reviews of Rum Point, I would love to go! I'm trying to decide whether to take the Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari through Carnival (which only gives 1.5 hrs. at Rum Point) or to rent a car and go straight to Rum Point.

Has anyone used Cayman Auto to rent a car to Rum Point? I have seen a lot of references to Cico Avis and am wondering why no one seems to be using Cayman Auto when they are located so close to the dock?

Thanks for your advice!

We rented a car from Avis two years ago. It was a breeze getting to Rum Point and we enjoyed the scenery on the way. Nice place but a tad on the expensive side. Over $125 for lunch for 4 which consisted of burgers and drinks (one water, 4 beers and one foo foo drink) The menus show dollars but they are not American dollars. But we enjoyed ourselves. BIL had not problems driving on the left hand side and only made one mistake when returning the car to the rental agency. He had to do a u turn and got on the wrong side of the road. Only took about 10 seconds before he realized his mistake. (All of us screaming probably helped him out)

Archived