Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

Boatbunny -- After reading about Rum Point, I would REALLY like to spend some time there, but we are only scheduled to be in port from 7am to 2pm. If we rent a car and drive over, we would likely only end up having about 3 hours there. Do you think that would be worth it? I imagine the drive itself is very interesting, but I don't want to feel overly rushed. We are swimming with the Dolphins in Cozumel, so I'm not really interested in the stingray swim. Would rather just have some beach and snorkeling time. What would you suggest?

I think 3 hours would be plenty of time at Rum Point. The beach area is pretty small and there isn't much snorkeling in the area. It's a lovely spot to relax and play in the water and get a nice lunch. The views are postcard like. For me, lunch and lounging for 3 hours would be just right.

Boatbunny -- After reading about Rum Point, I would REALLY like to spend some time there, but we are only scheduled to be in port from 7am to 2pm. If we rent a car and drive over, we would likely only end up having about 3 hours there. Do you think that would be worth it? I imagine the drive itself is very interesting, but I don't want to feel overly rushed. We are swimming with the Dolphins in Cozumel, so I'm not really interested in the stingray swim. Would rather just have some beach and snorkeling time. What would you suggest?

I totally agree with Ellya, 3 hours is a perfect amount of time there. Honestly, it is so beautiful, you will be very happy that you invested your time (albeit short) at Rum Point.

The drive is very nice, you will go through the middle of the island (make sure you take the short cut to Rum Point through the middle rather than driving around the whole coastline), which is a little barren, but it's short and the rest of the trip is driving the coast.

Have an awesome trip! Please feel free to email me at my personal email if you want some pics

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Boatbunny, I would like to thank you for reccomending Rum Point to me for Grand cayman.

We rented a Tracker from Andy's car rental, ( I got a great rate by shopping on-line) and Once I learned how to pay attention to the roads in Cayman, it was a very nice drive out to Rum point. By the time we ate lunch in town, and got lost, and drove out there, we only had about 45 min of snorkel time. I would not trade it for anything I've done there yet ( only second trip to GC).

We snorkeled to the right of the dock , and there was some nice stuff underwater. ( The surface was cloudy, but once you dove down 2-3 feet it was crystal clear again)

I was a little dissapointed that we were unable to go see the starfish, but we had a great time there.

Thanks again, Marc

P.S. after we stopped at Avis, it was much easier as they had preprinted directions directly to Rum Point.

Boatbunny, I would like to thank you for reccomending Rum Point to me for Grand cayman.

We rented a Tracker from Andy's car rental, ( I got a great rate by shopping on-line) and Once I learned how to pay attention to the roads in Cayman, it was a very nice drive out to Rum point. By the time we ate lunch in town, and got lost, and drove out there, we only had about 45 min of snorkel time. I would not trade it for anything I've done there yet ( only second trip to GC).

We snorkeled to the right of the dock , and there was some nice stuff underwater. ( The surface was cloudy, but once you dove down 2-3 feet it was crystal clear again)

I was a little dissapointed that we were unable to go see the starfish, but we had a great time there.

Thanks again, Marc

P.S. after we stopped at Avis, it was much easier as they had preprinted directions directly to Rum Point.

Hey Marc, so glad you had a great time, albeit short! It's just one of those places you are thankful to see, no matter how much time you had there. We really are hoping to go for a full week vacation next year.

Given the response to this thread, I think Rum Point is going to find itself a little busier!

Welcome back to reality, but when you need an escape, first place I go is my Rum Point pics!

Michelle

Your day sounds WONDERFUL!!! I think that is what we will do too!!!:D

I sent you a personal e-mail, I would appreciate ANY information you can give!!!

Is there more then one port/pier in Grand Cayman? My itenerrary says, "Georgetown, Grand Cayman". Is that where your ship was docked at?

Which Avis office did you use? How far in advance did you reserve your car? Thank YOU!!

Does ANYBODY else have any car rental reccomendations???? THANK'S!!!:)

Suesan:) :) :)

Your day sounds WONDERFUL!!! I think that is what we will do too!!!:D

I sent you a personal e-mail, I would appreciate ANY information you can give!!!

Is there more then one port/pier in Grand Cayman? My itenerrary says, "Georgetown, Grand Cayman". Is that where your ship was docked at?

Which Avis office did you use? How far in advance did you reserve your car? Thank YOU!!

Does ANYBODY else have any car rental reccomendations???? THANK'S!!!:)

I sent you an email back with the pics and some info. Yes, Georgetown is where you will be docked, you actually take a tender in from the ship, only a 5-10 min tender ride.

CICO Avis, go to their website directly (go back to page 1 of this thread, web address is there). They are independent of the AVIS' here in the US, but still part of the chain. If you just try to call a US Avis reservations center, they will not be able to help you. I booked my car 4 months in advance, I recommend booking it as far as you can, they did not charge me a deposit, but took a cc in case we didn't show.

Also, don't expect a formal looking reservation confirm back from them, again, I go into detail about this is earlier posts. It is a very laid back environment, but they will confirm your reservation, just not in the format you'd see if you booked a car here in the US.

So glad I found this thread! We are leaving this Sunday for our 7 day Western Carribbean cruise. My finacee and I will be in Grand Cayman on Thursday, Oct 13th and didn't want to do anything too formal and/or be surrounded by tons of other 'cruisers'. :) I've already done the stingray tour (which is great, btw) a few years ago so this sounded like the PERFECT alternative.

I just booked our Jeep and it looks so easy to get to the Blue Iganua (2 minutes from the port), gas, insurance, drivers permist, etc is included in the price so that is very nice.

Can't wait to just chill out at a nice beach and relax and snorkel or whatever. :)

Thanks for sharing this information. I'll be sure to check back in when I get back and give an update. I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Looking forward to it.

boatbunny,

From the great review of your experience, DH and I have decided to do the same thing you did in GC!! Thank you :D We'll be there aboard the Carnival Conquest on 10/13/05.

Hey Barb, we have decided to do the same thing! We'll be seeing you there...our Victory ship will be in port the same day as yours.

Looking forward to a GREAT day!

Hey Barb, we have decided to do the same thing! We'll be seeing you there...our Victory ship will be in port the same day as yours.

Looking forward to a GREAT day!

I am so envious of both of you!!!! Have an awesome cruise and a great time at Rum Point! Please be sure to come back and post and let us know how your day was. I will be thinking of you guys next week!

Michelle

DH and I are planning on doing "your" Rum Point excursion this November. ;) I got on the Red Sail website and had some questions. I called their customer service # and got answers, but I find them a bit hard to believe. I was hoping you could tell me your experience.

We are looking at getting the fun pack. Which is a 2 person deal. You get your choice of 1) a 2 person waverunner or skiing for two, also 2) Double kayak, sailboat, or paddleboat, and 3) mask & fins or sunsearcher.

When I called the number I wanted to know if $80 was per person or for both. She told me it was for both. I wanted to know if it was $80 per hour or for how long. She told me it was for the entire day. This sounds absolutely fabulous, but I have a hard time believing they would give you a waverunner for 2 for $80 per day, nevermind the other things you also get. I've read that other places charge $40 and up for 30 minutes on a waverunner.

Did you have any experience with renting any of the equipment? Or anyone else for that matter get the Fun Pack. I'd really like to know before we budget ourselves for this. BTW thank you so much for starting this thread. Regardless of the rental water toys issue, I am certain we are going to have a blast here.

Thanks! Dawn

Hi Dawn,

We didn't rent any equipment from Red Sail, so I can't comment on pricing. Although, the $80 for the day does sound a little off. I know that pricing I've seen was $65 for an hour or two on the waverunner, but depending on what time of year you are going,they may be offering something along the lines you were quoted if it is a slower season.

Try calling back and seeing if you get someone else. YOu can also email them, that way you have it in writing. Web address is : http://www.redsailcayman.com

Let me know how you make out! BTW, I love it described as "my" excursion. Maybe I can convince my husband to move down there so I can start my own tour!

Michelle

BoatBunny....Forget about the husbands...lol. I'll move there with you. I've been there before and I LOVE it. :) Oh wait...I have 2 cute kids, they will have to come also. LOL

I got my confirmation from Avis yesterday on the Jeep. How exciting. I told my Mom about it yesterday (they used to practically live there) and she told me that she thinks renting the Jeep is a great idea. Get away from most of the crowds.

I'm so excited. I'll be sure to post back and let you know how it went.

How much time will you actually have if you are only in Port from 9:00am - 5:00pm? With not booking an excursion with Carnival we will be one of the last ones off ship.

Would it be worth it to rent a jeep with the long drive there and back? I'm figuring we prob won't be off the ship until close to 10:30-11:00, then by the time you get to the car rental place and do the drive that is another hour. We would only have 2-3 hours before we had to head back.

Is this beach that great? So far this is my hardest island to plan for.

Does anyone know anything about Sea Grape Beach? and what the difference between the 2 would be?

Leaving on the Valor in 11 days!

When I called the number I wanted to know if $80 was per person or for both. She told me it was for both. I wanted to know if it was $80 per hour or for how long. She told me it was for the entire day. This sounds absolutely fabulous, but I have a hard time believing they would give you a waverunner for 2 for $80 per day, nevermind the other things you also get. I've read that other places charge $40 and up for 30 minutes on a waverunner.

I just called them as well thinking that sounded great. They told me it was $65 per 1/2 hour for just the waverunner. The fun pack was $80 for 1/2 hour of the waverunner and included snorkeling equipment and a paddleboat for 1 hour.

I just called them as well thinking that sounded great. They told me it was $65 per 1/2 hour for just the waverunner. The fun pack was $80 for 1/2 hour of the waverunner and included snorkeling equipment and a paddleboat for 1 hour.

I travelled on the Rhapsody of the Seas to Grand Cayman on September 23rd. After reading these boards I had taken your advice and rented a car from Avis. I took my 5 children to Rum Point Beach and we had a wonderful time. It was so peaceful and the weather was absolutely perfect. We only got to spend about 2 1/2 hours at the beach but it was well worth the trip. Driving was much easier than I expected. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to go look for the star fish beach further along. Thanks for the great info.

I travelled on the Rhapsody of the Seas to Grand Cayman on September 23rd. After reading these boards I had taken your advice and rented a car from Avis. I took my 5 children to Rum Point Beach and we had a wonderful time. It was so peaceful and the weather was absolutely perfect. We only got to spend about 2 1/2 hours at the beach but it was well worth the trip. Driving was much easier than I expected. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to go look for the star fish beach further along. Thanks for the great info.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! For ALL your FANTASTIC information!!! I reserved a car for us through CICO AVIS. I just rented a compact car ( I may change to a midsize though, my DH is 6'4", his legs may be a tad to long for a compact...:p)

I am SO LOOKING forward to this beach day!!! Lets keep our finger's crossed for excellent weather!!!:D

So ive been reading up on this thread and how all you guys are raving about Rum Point and decided to check it out, hopefully its as nice as you guys make it out to be. Me and my girlfriend will be visiting Grand Cayman on the 26th of this month aboard the Carnival Imagination, CANT WAIT!!! Anyway, since i really dont feel like driving around on my vacation and would rather be aboard a little boat that takes us around to see things i decided to go with Native Way's Rays Reef and Rum Point tour. Have a few concerns though, has anyone taken this tour?? After all the recent BS happening down in Aruba my girlfriend is a little worried about taking a tour with a non Carnival based organization. Does anyone with personal experiance have any good/bad feedback on this place?

PS... boatbunny would love to see some of those pictures you took on your vacation, thanks!

We took the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour this summer with Nativeway. We also took a snorkeling and rays tour with them last summer. The guides are really nice and the tour is a great value. One of the owners, Sharon, is from the states if that is any help. They are very well recommended on this board and professional in my experience. It really does give you three of the best things to do all in one tour and a great lunch as well!

My only complaint is that the tour starts later than it could for some ships, so you will end up getting back very close to your last tender time (no matter what they tell you). We had about 10 minutes to spare which made my husband very nervous (they insisted we would have 40 minutes, but we did not). I'm not sure why they start the tour so late because all the people waiting for our tour were sitting on the dock in the morning waiting for it to start for a long time.

I knew what the lady told me was too good to be true. Thanks so much for the info as that is VERY different from what we were originally thinking. We want to do a waverunner at one of the places we go, and I think Rum Point would be a great place for it. Does anyone have experience with renting waverunners from other places or on other W. Caribbean islands? Is $65/half hour the norm?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! For ALL your FANTASTIC information!!! I reserved a car for us through CICO AVIS. I just rented a compact car ( I may change to a midsize though, my DH is 6'4", his legs may be a tad to long for a compact...:p)

I am SO LOOKING forward to this beach day!!! Lets keep our finger's crossed for excellent weather!!!:D

Hi Suesan, did you make your rental reservations through their website that Boatbunny posted on the first page? I went there to reserve a car for 2006 and they only had 2005 and 2004 dates. I guess I can just call them, but wanted to check out what they had first. Thanks for any info.

De

Archived