How much servers make?

Because it is asked or discussed here does not make it an obsession.

I call it a curiosity.

The excessive talk about the tipping does seem obsessive to me.

I just never met people IRL (In Real Life) who are at all concerned about the "crew" and their homelife, lovelife, bank account, etc

Most people are (rightfully) on a cruise to have fun not to do surveys about ship life :D

Working 10 to 12 hours a day for 6 or 7 days a week is not hard what is hard is being away from your family for a long stretch of period especially if you have children.

It's also depend on what position you hold on the ship. I think if you work below deck like laundry room, dish washing and such, then yes...that would be hard.

I wonder what the politic is like with all the crews and officers.

Absolutely! They work 10-12 hour days and are on call other times. someone told me once that they had a phone in their cabin but it was only to be called to work. Could not call out on it. Add to that---they are away fron their families for six months at a time and have NO job security. One complaint, argument, etc. can get them canned ASAP. Cabin stewards the same. a staff Captain told us that if their is fight both parties are fired on the spot. Even if one is innocent. Hard life.

Your absolutely right - the Staff Captain and Carnival take complaints very seriously.

The Carnival Team read every single comment card that is completed online now - they post the good comments in the staff areas usually near the Crew Lounge or the Crew Training Center.

The phone in their cabin can be used to call room to room and can ALSO be used to call home - Crew purchase phone cards and internet cards to use onboard from the Crew Internet Cafe. Most Crew members choose to call home when they are at port or on debarkation day (the rates are much cheaper).

YES - the hours are very very long. Most contracts are actually 8 months for Crew - Staff contracts vary from 6-8 months depending on the department and position.

Pay is not bad compared to what they would make in their own country since a majority of crew are from foreign countries. Life onboard is fun - we have crew parties, crew events, crew lounge for socializing, room and board is included - if done right you can save and make a lot of money onboard.

Senior Cruise Director John Heald actually started off as a Bartender onboard Carnival way back in the day... look at him now! Great benefits and retirement if you are part of the Carnival family.

I am Canadian and almost always tip more than 15%. I don't think you should generalize like that. I think there are good and bad tippers from all over. :o)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct I shouldnt generalize.We met people from Canada a few times and was told the food servers /bartender get a higher wage in Canada ,so thats why I thought that.Didnt mean to offend :)

I started this thread to ask a simple question.

I am a first time cruiser.

This has really turned me off I must say.

Certain topics on here get people all sorts of crazy.Some people(not you ) remove tips as an additional savings to spend that on more drinks from the bar ect.It gets under the skin of alot of us who work in the hospitality industry when people do not take care of the people who make your vacation awesome.Your first cruise you will understand what I mean

Just to let you know dont make threads asking about saving chairs in the AM,smuggling booze,smoking in general,tips . those always cause debates :)

you are now gonna be hooked on cruises like the rest of us

Too many Americans do not understand finances like we should. For example, you can not compare what the pay the crew gets to what we need to get paid in the USA. First they don't spend it here and are not subjected to our tax system. That in it self means they actually make more than many Americans who make the same $40000 gross in salary. Even if they make a quarter of that salary during their contract, that would translate to 60,000 in the chinese local currency(it is the only one I know by heart)RMB where the average laborer make on average $2000RMB a month which equals 24,000RMB a year and actually has to work 12 months versus the 10 during the contract. My figures are actually quite conservative, the difference is probably even more. 60,000 versus 24,000 and working 2 months less with 3 meals a day is a no brainer. As for the long hours, it is probably only long to us Americans. Most people in third world countries are use to long hours and poor working conditions. I hope this explains a little why so many wants to work on these ships.

You are correct I shouldnt generalize.We met people from Canada a few times and was told the food servers /bartender get a higher wage in Canada ,so thats why I thought that.Didnt mean to offend :)

NP at all. You are right we do have a much higher minimum wage but tipping is still expected and 15% is considered acceptable. Take care, CB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely! They work 10-12 hour days and are on call other times. someone told me once that they had a phone in their cabin but it was only to be called to work. Could not call out on it. Add to that---they are away fron their families for six months at a time and have NO job security. One complaint, argument, etc. can get them canned ASAP. Cabin stewards the same. a staff Captain told us that if their is fight both parties are fired on the spot. Even if one is innocent. Hard life.

It may be a hard life, and one that I, and most Americans, would not accept, but they chose this job, and they knew going in what it was. If this makes me a hard nose, uncaring person -- so be it.

Their life, your life, my life is what it is, and all any of us can do is try to make the best of it. The crew made their choices, and I've made mine, and so have you. I've also made changes, and improved my station in life, as I'm sure the crew are doing -- It's all any of us can do. And in the many conversations I've had with various crew members, it's true -- they work hard, miss their families, and hope to one day better their station in life -- no different than you or me.

People are so hung up on this topic -- but really, who cares? I' have enough worries to take care of myself and my family I don't need to be, and truth be told the crew don't want me to be, concerned about how they work or what they are paid.

Archived