TIpping

Are they the same????? Tip shows up on your bill at end of cruise???? or can I actually pre-pay before we leave for cruise. I'm confused....

pre pay, is pay now, before you cruise.

auto tip is you pay after your cruise, or at the end if you settle in cash or debit.

Most meals on cruise ships are buffets. So what am I actually paying $3.50 for? I get up and get my food and bring it back to my table. I know people that have worked at places where no tipping is allowed, they walk away rather quickly when they see a reduction in income. Same reason the lemmings leave their auto tip on the bill, so that the dancers and window washers can get tipped. They don't know any better. They will see tips included, and therefore won't tip extra.

Whenever I go to a buffet on land (say the $8.95 Chinese buffet), I leave at least $1 on the table.. you wouldn't leave anything? If you go out to dinner, do you tip less then $3 a head (assuming $20 each)? You're seriously arguing the waiters tip now by saying you only eat in the buffet? I do realize in an earlier post I said you really shouldn't compare tipping on land to a ship... They are different. Just trying to make a point.

As for "lemmings"... how don't they "know any better"? The tipping guidelines are made clear. Are you saying that they don't know that they can remove tips for everyone and you feel that's justified for whatever reason (not the infamous "bad service" which I don't believe happens that frequently)? Those who pay extra aren't tricked into doing it. They feel the service called for more. Why would that change?

As for the "alternative services" getting that $2 a day that has certain people here going nuts, I agree..... it shouldn't be called a "gratuity" because it's not. It should be a service charge or have the fares increased to cover the salary. But that's not the way it is.... By arguing it, it's really just the wording of what it is that you don't agree with.... semantics. Although, it's not the cruise line you are directly hurting. The crew won't get what is expected because you didn't like that corporate added $14 to your gratuities instead of your cruise fare.....

it's actually $5.80 per person per day for your wait team.

and most skip two of the three service meals without a tip adjustment. and out of those two self serve meals that you've tipppd your reassigned staff in the mdr working the lido restaurant, some suggest double tips up there. in fact, you can usually find your dinner waiters right there working.

now, i see they are actually closing the service dining room for certain meals, giving those that like choice, none.

Yes, we are aware that it's a two person team with a $5.80 total. I was asking about what a specific crew member had to do to "he better earn it" as the poster suggested....

Man, you really like to track every single penny and make sure no one gets one over on you... God forbid someone gets an unearned 50 cents from you on your watch.....

At a buffet, I don't leave any money. That's great that you do. You make up for my non-tip. The problem is, that people don't question, they just do what they read. I applaud you for tipping what the cruiseline recommends, I, however make up my own mind. If the dancers don't like the wages, find a different job.

Yes, we are aware that it's a two person team with a $5.80 total. I was asking about what a specific crew member had to do to "he better earn it" as the poster suggested....

Man, you really like to track every single penny and make sure no one gets one over on you... God forbid someone gets an unearned 50 cents from you on your watch.....

yes. now, if i could only find out where to return my cans when i cruise.

maybe i'll put them in a tip jar to hear fools overture by supertramp in the piano bar.

You choosing not pay (auto tip) the workers that the system IS designed to cover, DOES NOT mean they did less work, it means they did the same work but they got nothing, lets be honest & clear. No need to feel small, it is just a choice the line gives you & you admittedly make that choice. (Besides I'm sure that a Mamaskittles who wears a flame retardant teddy & loves to refer to herself in the third person likely has a thick skin)

I agree with others, the lines should call it what it should be, a non refundable service fee, and be done with it. Then you can chose to cruise or not.

Right or wrong, many systems are not set up as we would like them to be or have certain flaws. Again, in this case you still have a choice, so lucky you, & a few unlucky crew.

I swear if I said sunrise you would say dawn just for the sake of argument.

The workers the system is designed to cover get paid at the end by me by my choice. That payment, either in cash or through the re-instatement of gratuitites, does cover direct service staff as it should.

It does not cover the window washer, brass polisher, dancer, (sorry pmang), purser, laundry worker, I could go on and on but I won't.

I realize that only a few of us are brave enough to face the wrath of the crew saviours here on CC, but believe it or not many people agree the pax are responsible to pay salary increases that Carnival promises but then does not deliver and passes on to it's customers.

And yes I still only pay at the end for services rendered.

These fights WE will never win .I just cant wait until Carnival decides to give all the service workers(and entertainment staff) an actual salary and raise cruise fare and (not pointing fingers) all the cheap people that stiff the staff have no choice but tip nice

Every cruise I have been on the staff always earns my money !! Never had bad service ever.I guess some people just feel better about having their servant for the week kneel down and kiss their feet for the $20 bill that they hand them in an envelope that THEY feel is what they should get ( not what is suggested by any means)

Cheap people are cheap people.No way around it !! It shows

The workers the system is designed to cover get paid at the end by me by my choice. That payment, either in cash or through the re-instatement of gratuitites, does cover direct service staff as it should.

It does not cover the window washer, brass polisher, dancer, (sorry pmang), purser, laundry worker, I could go on and on but I won't.

I realize that only a few of us are brave enough to face the wrath of the crew saviours here on CC, but believe it or not many people agree the pax are responsible to pay salary increases that Carnival promises but then does not deliver and passes on to it's customers.

HEH? I assure you we are NOT saying the same thing (assuming your point is that dawn & sunrise are essentially the same thing, yes?)

You just said again that you chose who you will tip and stiff some that the system is supposed to cover because that is your choice as a brave American.

I am not trying to having an arguement with THE Mamaskittles:p, I just have a different opinion than the words you typed and posted.

If I annoy you, please put me on your ignore list:) Also, I will make a effort in the future to not make any direct replies to your posts unless I agree with you.

I actually agree in principal... The alternative service increases shouldn't be considered "gratuities". It should be a service charge or fare increase... The only reason I keep mentioning the dancers is that are the ones primarily used out the entertainment staff for duties outside of what they are hired for. Saying "if they don't like it, they should find another job" is a little short sighted. They should be paid for hours worked. If it comes from a portion of the alternative service gratuity (which could be as little a .25 for all any of us know), a service charge or fare increase... it all comes from the passengers one way or another. Removing that $2 because you don't believe in it is still your choice but it's not the cruise line you're hurting.

Some people here are just up in arms at the thought of tipping "entertainers" and they would never do that on land.... I'm just trying to show people that they are assigned jobs that are "serving" the passengers. Should Carnival pay x amount per hour for that job? Yes... They don't. This is how they're doing it.

I know I'm not going to change peoples personal views. I'm just pointing out that they are doing a "service" job outside of entertaining....

I know I'm not going to change peoples personal views. I'm just pointing out that they are doing a "service" job outside of entertaining....

if i see any of them cleaning my room, or serving me my meal, i have no problem tipping for that.

but more often than not, they are in the hot tub in the spa. i've had many interesting afternoon conversations while the family is getting ready for dinner, and i'm unwinding.

Human nature would cause them to not work as hard. And frustrations would go up, because if I'm paying 100% tip, you had better earn it. Same reason service sucks at McDonalds, no incentive.

I dont eat much fast food but everytime I go to order it takes about 1 minute for the whole trasaction .How does the service suck? And yes they have no incentive ,because they get paid minimum wage!!!

Either you have not cruised much or have really high expectations but there is no comparison between a head waiter and a mcdonalds worker

Most meals on cruise ships are buffets. So what am I actually paying $3.50 for? I get up and get my food and bring it back to my table. I know people that have worked at places where no tipping is allowed, they walk away rather quickly when they see a reduction in income. Same reason the lemmings leave their auto tip on the bill, so that the dancers and window washers can get tipped. They don't know any better. They will see tips included, and therefore won't tip extra.

Do you not realize that those people working at the buffet are the same people working that night in the dining room.Yes those cleaning up your table!!

Please give me an example of any company that the Management has a no tip policy!!!

Lets see I own a restaurant,I want happy employees so I post please do not tip my staff

What does me tipping the staff cost the restaurant or bottom line .Im confused

Do you not realize that those people working at the buffet are the same people working that night in the dining room.Yes those cleaning up your table!!

Im confused

yup! the same people you are already tipping in your mdr daily tip allotment.

I know that I dont think coach does. His argument was he mostly eats buffets

so what do you think about taking another $1 per person per day for buffet services. that's double tipping to me, and i can't eat in both places anyway.

as far as what coach does, he'll have to respond himself.

so what do you think about taking another $1 per person per day for buffet services. that's double tipping to me, and i can't eat in both places anyway.

as far as what coach does, he'll have to respond himself.

I cant say that I like double tipping but H8 its a dollar.Seven dollars for the week ,not worth the aggrevation to me.Its vacation

I cant say that I like double tipping but H8 its a dollar.Seven dollars for the week ,not worth the aggrevation to me.Its vacation

it was 7, now 14, per person, and now would be a $56 hit for me. that's 2 buckets of overpriced beer! or $4 shy of a trip for dw and i to the steakhouse.

it was 7, now 14, per person, and now would be a $56 hit for me. that's 2 buckets of overpriced beer! or $4 shy of a trip for dw and i to the steakhouse.

As i usually do I get your point but should the staff suffer?

Please give me an example of any company that the Management has a no tip policy!!!

Lets see I own a restaurant,I want happy employees so I post please do not tip my staff

What does me tipping the staff cost the restaurant or bottom line .Im confused

Baltusrol Golf Club has a no tipping policy, or did the last time I played there. How much shoudl I give the guy to throw my plate in a bus bucket?

Especially if in his country, he lives on .30 an hour.

Baltusrol Golf Club has a no tipping policy, or did the last time I played there. How much shoudl I give the guy to throw my plate in a bus bucket?

Especially if in his country, he lives on .30 an hour.

Tipping

Baltusrol has a no-tipping policy for all employees (excluding caddies, who are not Club employees).

from the website

Archived