TIpping

Dave those of us who work/worked for tips just understand .Those who have never will never understand.

I do think the cruiselines/taxi owners/haircuttery should pay a fair wage but they do not.I do not think the worker should suffer

I havent ever had such poor service that I needed to go to the pursers desk and alter my service charge so I cannot really understand this.

I also can agree we should not have to pay for entertainment staff or guest services but again its under $20 for the week (i know h8 then its $40 then $80 lol) im on vacation and wont sweat the small stuff

To a large extent I agree with this.

However you pay for a haircut, and ask your wife what she last paid for one of those. It seems to me if your paying $100 for a haircut that takes all of 20 min than what am I tipping for? Not messing it up? Going bald saves me hundreds of dollars a year! Lol

And I know it's under $20 going to entertainment staff and such, but multiply that by how many passengers? If people were as passionate as they claim about the "poor" staff then they would funnel the money to the people who need it most instead of those pulling a full salary.

What a fool I am. All this time I thought my fare paid for all of this. Food and drink and my room cleaned.

So let's see if I understand this. It's ok for Carnival to only pay their staff $50 a month ( allegedly) but if someone removes the auto gratuities to tip a server in person they are "horrible"

For better or worse that is kind of how it works. Silly when you think of it.

To a large extent I agree with this.

However you pay for a haircut, and ask your wife what she last paid for one of those. It seems to me if your paying $100 for a haircut that takes all of 20 min than what am I tipping for? Not messing it up? Going bald saves me hundreds of dollars a year! Lol

And I know it's under $20 going to entertainment staff and such, but multiply that by how many passengers? If people were as passionate as they claim about the "poor" staff then they would funnel the money to the people who need it most instead of those pulling a full salary.

Ok, let me clue you in on HOW the whole haircut thing works since I know first hand.

First of all if you are paying $100 for a haircut, you need your head examined...but I digress.

One scenario (there are others) is how I was paid when I was a hairdresser.

I was paid a basic minimum wage.

I then was paid a commission. In order to earn my 40% commission, I had to first 'pull in' double my weeks salary. Then anything over and above that, I made 40% on AFTER I paid for supplies (chemicals/shampoos and such)

If I wasn't generously, gifted tips, it would have not been worth dragging my sore-from-standing--all-day feet in the darn salon door.

Some hairdressers may just rent a chair in a salon...others may work on solid commission...but NONE of them get every penny that you are shelling out for your haircut (unless they are doing it out of their own home...which I have also done)

Until you have walked in the shoes of another, you just have no clue and should not assume to understand when you're perspective is as far off the truth as is possible.

Ok, let me clue you in on HOW the whole haircut thing works since I know first hand.

First of all if you are paying $100 for a haircut, you need your head examined...but I digress.

One scenario (there are others) is how I was paid when I was a hairdresser.

I was paid a basic minimum wage.

I then was paid a commission. In order to earn my 40% commission, I had to first 'pull in' double my weeks salary. Then anything over and above that, I made 40% on AFTER I paid for supplies (chemicals/shampoos and such)

If I wasn't generously, gifted tips, it would have not been worth dragging my sore-from-standing--all-day feet in the darn salon door.

Some hairdressers may just rent a chair in a salon...others may work on solid commission...but NONE of them get every penny that you are shelling out for your haircut (unless they are doing it out of their own home...which I have also done)

Until you have walked in the shoes of another, you just have no clue and should not assume to understand when you're perspective is as far off the truth as is possible.

I could care less how they pay hairdressers. If I pay for a haircut, I get a haircut. I have no further obligation to them. I will not ever tip a hairdresser. Not when I had hair and not when my wife or kids get their hair cut.

Nor do I tip taxi drivers, or put money in the tip jar at Starbucks. I don't tip at hotels and many other places. I tip waiters at restaurants and bartenders, but for the most part, those are the only service positions I tip.

If you would like to tip them, feel free to do so. I will continue to do what I do.

I could care less how they pay hairdressers. If I pay for a haircut, I get a haircut. I have no further obligation to them. I will not ever tip a hairdresser. Not when I had hair and not when my wife or kids get their hair cut.

Nor do I tip taxi drivers, or put money in the tip jar at Starbucks. I don't tip at hotels and many other places. I tip waiters at restaurants and bartenders, but for the most part, those are the only service positions I tip.

If you would like to tip them, feel free to do so. I will continue to do what I do.

I'm grateful beyond words that in all the years I worked, I never had the misfortune to work on anyone with that attitude.

You go and continue to do what you do. Most others will pick up your slack.

I'm grateful beyond words that in all the years I worked, I never had the misfortune to work on anyone with that attitude.

You go and continue to do what you do. Most others will pick up your slack.

I will look for my thank you notes to send to the people who are picking up my slack. Please though, help me out with this.

I pay for a haircut, say $30. What did I just pay for? For that person to cut my hair right?

Let's say I pay a personal trainer $69 an hour to help me lose weight. I should get an hour of service correct? Do I tip them?

Yes, and so is Karma.

That is why I have never taken a job that depends on tips. I would never work for someone who did not want to pay me and tried to trick others to give me money. Remember a tip is an extra something to show appreciation for doing something nice for me. One should not be dependent on another for the salary. It should be a bonus. I do give bonus not tips. I have paid for that service with my fare.

I will look for my thank you notes to send to the people who are picking up my slack. Please though, help me out with this.

I pay for a haircut, say $30. What did I just pay for? For that person to cut my hair right?

Let's say I pay a personal trainer $69 an hour to help me lose weight. I should get an hour of service correct? Do I tip them?

But you didn't pay the person, you paid the salon. There are some positions that are considered tipped positions, those with low beginning wages.

Feel free to protest the system by punishing the worker if you will. It will make you feel better to do so perhaps, but make the rest of us think of you as a cheapskate.

I agree. I can see both views here for sure. It just bothers me to see people label others and judge people so quickly.

I do think some people remove tips for whatever reason they see fit. I don't for a second believe either momaskittles or H82 are one of those people.

I have yet to remove auto Gratuities, but I will give serious thought to it next cruise because of the info I have learned here about how they distribute my money.

And on a side note: is it just me or is tipping getting out of hand ? What happened to paying for a service and just getting that service. Now I have to tip on top of that. Hair cuts, taxi cabs, ect...it's out of control in my mind.

Just my 2 cents

Dont forget fast food workers, hot dog stands, and we have a station here in town that provides food. They have a tip jar out on the counter. You spend $3 on snacks when you buy gas and they want a tip. There are street artist with their hand out. All I am doing is walking down the street miniding my own business, why do I need to tip them.

It typical of where our society has gone. The "I am here so give me money just for showing up." I have kids in a classroom that have learned over the years that they should be passed just because they showed up. I see that attitude in all types of working situations. I have seen supervisiors ask people to do something and they remark or give you a look like, I cannot believe you want me to do something.

What a fool I am. All this time I thought my fare paid for all of this. Food and drink and my room cleaned.

So let's see if I understand this. It's ok for Carnival to only pay their staff $50 a month ( allegedly) but if someone removes the auto gratuities to tip a server in person they are "horrible"

Yes Dave, you are horrible because you didn't tip what Carnival felt the tip should be. I am horrible too.

A very well thought out tip remover lol

I have never not left a tip. But, this is a really good tip. Thanks. This thread never started out to be about not tipping, it was about removing auto tips. Somehow,as most do, it because about tipping and how bad people are that dont.

I tip from my heart, not because I am told to or told how much to tip. Have a good day everyone.

Dont forget fast food workers, hot dog stands, and we have a station here in town that provides food. They have a tip jar out on the counter. You spend $3 on snacks when you buy gas and they want a tip. There are street artist with their hand out. All I am doing is walking down the street miniding my own business, why do I need to tip them.

It typical of where our society has gone. The "I am here so give me money just for showing up." I have kids in a classroom that have learned over the years that they should be passed just because they showed up. I see that attitude in all types of working situations. I have seen supervisiors ask people to do something and they remark or give you a look like, I cannot believe you want me to do something.

Good Points AZ. Now, if everyone on this board could start tipping me, we'd be well on our way! Please post your credit card numbers and I'll charge the amount I feel is necessary for my time here.

But you didn't pay the person, you paid the salon. There are some positions that are considered tipped positions, those with low beginning wages.

Feel free to protest the system by punishing the worker if you will. It will make you feel better to do so perhaps, but make the rest of us think of you as a cheapskate.

Yes I paid the salon. To cut my hair. How they pay the person who does that is not my concern. It should be the concern of the person they pay.

Feel free to label me a cheapskate all you wish. It doesn't affect me personally.

that's actually pretty funny. paying the salon? to do what? rent space? sit in a chair?

just what should i get for that $30?

yeah? who do they pay? sounds like all the money is in salon owning these days. clifton must be a gold mine.

I know a guy who owns barber shop ,all he does is unlock and lock up at night and collect rent from his chairs.He inst even a barber!!

Based on information I have on positions on ships, Carnival does not pay any position $50 a month.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Imagine if all these companies that pay low wages all raised the minimum salaries to say around $10- $12/ per hour, and eliminated all tips.

That steak is now going to cost you $200, haircut will cost you $150, that cruise will now cost you $3000, etc,etc,etc.

I would rather pay $600- $700 for my cruise and tip the waiters, bartenders, stewards, etc the extra $30- $40 it costs me for the week than the alternative.

I know a guy who owns barber shop ,all he does is unlock and lock up at night and collect rent from his chairs.He inst even a barber!!

not surprised. there are people in jersey that will rent a chair and an umbrella at the beach for $75 a week.

The envelopes usually are for if you want to tip extra.

Here is my take on this. I grew up painfully shy in person. I would be so embarrssed to go to the purser's desk to remove tips. I really would die of embarrassement. I would be thinking, I know they are thinking Im cheap (even if you arent, I care what people think about me, so Im wrong, but this is how I feel).

Then you will be on a list that those waiting on you (your waiter, asst waiter, cabin steward) see of those who removed tips. I would die a 2nd death of embarrassement over being on this list. This is just me. Someone on here posted their cabin steward asked them why they had removed tips. How embarrassing?

I just get OBC, buy the stock, buy a FCC that covers most of tips and then count it as part of the cost of the cruise .. but this is why I personally would not do it. I care what people think too much, but thats how I am.

Its just something I refuse to put myself thru. I dont like putting myself in embarrassing positions if it can be avoided by going along with Carnivals "suggestions"

I totally feel the same way you do! In addition to that, we don't go on our cruises looking for perfection from the people who serve us onboard. We are all human and make simple mistakes and should not be penalized for it! RCCL doesn't automatically add tips on, but I think they should! ;)

How does any of this info have any bearing on my point? They set the price of the service. Not me. If they choose $30 for a haircut and I pay $30, I should get a haircut.

Archived