A collection of videos from Western & Eastern Mediterranean shore excursions

Cornishpastyman1

After less than an hour at Cannes we caught a train to Nice (about 35-40 minutes). Instead of walking down Avenue Jean Médecin (a mile) we should have taken the tram to Place Messana. This shows where we went in Nice

That Ho-Ho leaves from the Lido on the Promenade des Anglais NOT where it shows on the leaflet we got from the Tourist Office.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We took the 10 am ferry and would have done the whole run to Monterrosso but the last one back only arrived at 4.40 - which would have been cutting it fine for the 5 pm all-aboard. The return fare was €15, the single €10.

The train from Vernazza - La Spezia station took about 15 mins, and the walk back to the ship about 20-25 as it's just over a mile and a half. Hope you have more luck with the weather if you go.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 16th October 2013 we were supposed to anchor off Sorrento at noon and take a private tour with Joe Banana Limos to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

High swells meant the captain could not guarantee that the tenders would run so he switched to the dock at Naples. By the time we had disembarked it was 12.30 and our tour then began. Starting from Naples rather than Sorrento delayed arriving at Positano by at least and hour but we got it all done by the time the light was failing at Ravello.

I didn't note down the time throughout the day but reckon we spent about 90 minutes at Positano

and an hour each at Amalfi
and Ravello
before setting off back to Naples (not via the Amalfi Drive) at around 6.45 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

On day 2 we took what must be the easiest excursion of all from Naples, a trip to Capri.

We took the 9.30 hydrofoil from Molo Beverello (bear left when you clear the ship and it's 200 yards from the dock) but didn't book a return trip when buying the ticket. When I showed up at around 3 pm for the 3.25 back to Naples it was full, so I was given a ticket for the 3.35 ferry. That didn't matter, except that it is at least 25 minutes slower and finishes over half a mile from where the ship was docked, meaning, tragically, I missed afternoon tea :mad:

From Naples the hydrofoil takes about 40 minutes and costs about €19 each way. If you go to Capri from Sorrento it takes about half the time.

The previous day (touring the Amalfi coast) our weather was very ordinary, culminating with a downpour at Ravello, but we were to learn from a couple on our ship that such were the swells here that day, they simply could not face the trip back and booked into a small hotel for the night !

As this shows, the weather was glorious the next day, and they enjoyed seeing the sun rise on Capri and having the island to themselves before the hordes arrived.

The usual routine is to take the funicular up to Capri town, then walk or bus to Anacapri. if there are lines for the funicular you could do what we did and take a bus up to Anacapri and walk back down or take the funicular to Marina Grande at the end of the day.

The video briefly mentions Villa San Michele This is a more detailed look at it

The Blue Grotto was closed that day too due to sea swells. Given that the ride over seemed fairly calm to me, this must happen a lot. But we were not going there anyway, as there is so much to see on Capri. Taking the 9.30 hydrofoil was a big mistake - I should have taken 8.00 am one, and can't really think why I didn't, seeing as we overnighted at Naples. I hope to return to Capri.

That completes the 'set' for our cruise on Oceania's Marina. I do not know when I shall next be in the Med, but hope some of these are of help or interest in planning your trip to this incredible area. All the best, Tony