Magic Bus?

tonyt

Has anyone taken the Magic Bus from Anchorage to Whittier on cruise day? If so, how was it? are they dependable?

We used them in 2010. The bus arrived on time and the driver gave a history of the area as he drove to Whittier. We stopped in Girdwood at the bakery/convenience store on the way. Great treats at the bakery! My only complaint, though I won't go into any detail, was that the owner who was at the Captain Cook, where they pick you up, was extremely rude.

We used them in 2010. The bus arrived on time and the driver gave a history of the area as he drove to Whittier. We stopped in Girdwood at the bakery/convenience store on the way. Great treats at the bakery! My only complaint, though I won't go into any detail, was that the owner who was at the Captain Cook, where they pick you up, was extremely rude.

May I ask, was that Tim Melican? I have the reverse trip planned, and have arranged pick up on June 2. I am hoping all will be ok. He asked me to be sure tip the driver, (which I planned to, but now i assume the driver has an expected amount) would you mind sharing did you do a flat amount, or a percentage? There are 7 of us, and I wasn't sure )what would be appropriate.

It's been so long since I took the Magic Bus that I don't remember the owner's name, but he was the one I dealt with to book our ride and then I met him the day we took the bus. We did tip the driver but we don't remember how much (and we weren't told to tip him). There were three of us on that trip and knowing my husband he probably gave the driver at least $10, if not $20, since he tends to overtrip. I think telling people to tip the driver is uncalled for. People will tip when they think it is deserved and being told to tip would turn me off.

May I ask, was that Tim Melican? I have the reverse trip planned, and have arranged pick up on June 2. I am hoping all will be ok. He asked me to be sure tip the driver, (which I planned to, but now i assume the driver has an expected amount) would you mind sharing did you do a flat amount, or a percentage? There are 7 of us, and I wasn't sure )what would be appropriate.

What are you paying for the transfer? They don't have any fares on their website (I have companies like that!).

The Magic Bus comes and goes so far as reviews and recommendations. The rates are often 'market' but seem always to be less than the cruise lines charge.

The benefit is that the cruise lines don't do a stop along the way or even a commentary from the driver unless the driver is chatty (his or her choice to talk or not).

Most people are worn out from travel and sadly, sleep on the buses missing Turnagain Arm scenery.

Tipping should always be optional but I am resistant from the bus driver announces 'you will only see me today' by way of a hint.

People will tip when they think it is deserved and being told to tip would turn me off.

Same here.

Tipping should always be optional but I am resistant from the bus driver announces 'you will only see me today' by way of a hint.

Some companies add a 10% gratuity and if their fares weren't the lowest around I would object more strongly. As was said, tips are for good service and when it is deserved. It is not a tip when it is required.

Same here.

Some companies add a 10% gratuity and if their fares weren't the lowest around I would object more strongly. As was said, tips are for good service and when it is deserved. It is not a tip when it is required.

As I have had jobs that tips were considered a major part of our wages with our base wages being meager, I am usually very willing to tip but certainly not when a company owner says 'tip the driver'.

Now that really makes me look for another company to hire.

As I have had jobs that tips were considered a major part of our wages with our base wages being meager, I am usually very willing to tip but certainly not when a company owner says 'tip the driver'.

Now that really makes me look for another company to hire.

There is a company called Whittier shuttle dot com that charges $19 pp for the direct transfer and $38pp for tour with stops. both have commentary and there are other tours too.

I haven't been on it yet but have had quick responses to questions etc.

There is a company called Whittier shuttle dot com that charges $19 pp for the direct transfer and $38pp for tour with stops. both have commentary and there are other tours too.

I haven't been on it yet but have had quick responses to questions etc.

I hope someone who has used this company posts the results. The $19 is really cheap but I read that it is the early morning departure (may work well for some folks.)

I hope someone who has used this company posts the results. The $19 is really cheap but I read that it is the early morning departure (may work well for some folks.)

Yes it looks like it is a backload to get the bus out to pick people up going the other way. Also one in the afternoon doing the same thing the other way.

Sorry to post this when I haven't used them but the posters above were looking for alternatives and it was one I have come across.There are a couple of positive reviews on TA if you search in forum posts.

Yes it looks like it is a backload to get the bus out to pick people up going the other way. Also one in the afternoon doing the same thing the other way.

Sorry to post this when I haven't used them but the posters above were looking for alternatives and it was one I have come across.There are a couple of positive reviews on TA if you search in forum posts.

Whittiershuttle dot com are also known as Alaska Cruise Transfers and Tours and there is a post on TA about extra charges they required for luggage which was not explained at the time of booking and deposits were not refundable so check first. :eek:

In the past (and maybe still) Alaska Cruise Transfers and Tours has run a 'draggin' wagon' which is the last chance for people who arrive late at the airport in Anchorage (ANC) to make it to Whittier for cruise departures. This is after the cruise line run buses have gone down the road.

I have seen their buses on the road and they look good. If you look at GOOGLE Street View for that stretch of Alaska 1 you can see those buses moving along.

The backload issue is obvious as having any number of passengers is better than running an empty bus down to Whittier...or several.

My research came up with the following:

1.Most shuttles leave Anchorage in the PM. We are planning to take a PWS tour at 12:45PM so they did not meet our need.

2.There is an early bird transfer that leaves at 5:30AM, arrives at 7:45AM and costs $14.99. Too early for me.

3.There is another shuttle that leaves the airport at 7AM, arrives at 8:45AM and costs $30. Still to early for me.

4. The Magic Bus picks you up at you hotel at 9AM, arrives at 12PM and costs $50. It makes picture stops at Beluga Point, Girdwood Station and Portage Glacier Valley. THis time suits me the best.

I can't fault Tim in his response to my email request nor do I take offense to his tip comment to the other poster.

We used Magic Bus for our trip in 2009 (19 people). They picked us up at our hotel and the driver was cordial. We did not stop along the way but we also had been down this highway before. We knew it was a beautiful ride.

I also found Tim Melican to be semi-rude when talking to him on the phone. If could be that since he makes all the reservations himself it makes for alot of work. The tip remark was made to me also and it did take me back a little bit as we were all tippers!

Would I use them again? Yes, because there vehicle was very comfortable and you are only on it a short time!

Archived