Bicycling over to Granville Island

We hope(depending on weather) to rent bikes to ride around Stanley Park and along English Bay. We would also like to get over to the public market on Granville Island(with our bikes). Would we take our bikes on one of the ferries or is there a bridge with a bike lane to use from the trail along English Bay? Thank you.

I will gladly answer your biking question - both options are available - the ferry dock at the foot of Hornby Street has a ferry that handles bikes and drops you right at the market - it's $3.00 one way or $5.00 r/t - at least those were the prices the last time I used it - the other option is the Burrard Bridge - first one you will come to - it has a separated bike lane - west or right side for the trip over and left or east side for the trip back - coming off the bridge you have two options - you can follow the lane to the right and then make a right and go down about three blocks to the Museum and pick up the Seaside bike path and follow it into Granville Island or you can bank to the left and onto Burrard street - marked bike lane - for a couple of blocks to 1st avenue and then turn left - biker controlled light and then follow the signs into Granville Island - you might consider the Bridge over and the ferry back - if you take the ferry back you will be on the separated Hornby bike route which you can follow all the way back to Canada Place and then back to your bike rental place if you are using one of the ones near the Park on Denman - it's a great ride - I did the Park yesterday and live in sight of the ferry and Granville Island.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I will gladly answer your biking question - both options are available - the ferry dock at the foot of Hornby Street has a ferry that handles bikes and drops you right at the market - it's $3.00 one way or $5.00 r/t - at least those were the prices the last time I used it - the other option is the Burrard Bridge - first one you will come to - it has a separated bike lane - west or right side for the trip over and left or east side for the trip back - coming off the bridge you have two options - you can follow the lane to the right and then make a right and go down about three blocks to the Museum and pick up the Seaside bike path and follow it into Granville Island or you can bank to the left and onto Burrard street - marked bike lane - for a couple of blocks to 1st avenue and then turn left - biker controlled light and then follow the signs into Granville Island - you might consider the Bridge over and the ferry back - if you take the ferry back you will be on the separated Hornby bike route which you can follow all the way back to Canada Place and then back to your bike rental place if you are using one of the ones near the Park on Denman - it's a great ride - I did the Park yesterday and live in sight of the ferry and Granville Island.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you, this is very helpful. Do you know if the Fare Saver ticket covers the ferry near Hornby Street?

Thank you, this is very helpful. Do you know if the Fare Saver ticket covers the ferry near Hornby Street?

No, that's a private ferry.

However, there's a lot of confusion about Granville Island, it's connected to the mainland, and these days is actually connected by land from the south. From the downtown core, just go over the Granville St Bridge, and Granville 'Island' is underneath it

No, that's a private ferry.

However, there's a lot of confusion about Granville Island, it's connected to the mainland, and these days is actually connected by land from the south. From the downtown core, just go over the Granville St Bridge, and Granville 'Island' is underneath it

Scott, is this connected to the bike trail or is it necessary to ride on the city streets. We don't do streets with traffic when we bike - only bike trails/paths/or dedicated streets for bikes. We bike weekly(10-15 miles at a time) or more often but we live in a township that has 200 miles of connected, level bike trails and that's how we do our biking - using cruisers :). The only streets we do are the residential streets that have only an occasional vehicle driving at a turtle's pace and we only do those to connect to another trail.

Scott, is this connected to the bike trail or is it necessary to ride on the city streets. We don't do streets with traffic when we bike - only bike trails/paths/or dedicated streets for bikes. We bike weekly(10-15 miles at a time) or more often but we live in a township that has 200 miles of connected, level bike trails and that's how we do our biking - using cruisers :). The only streets we do are the residential streets that have only an occasional vehicle driving at a turtle's pace and we only do those to connect to another trail.

If you want to stick to bike routes, I'd take take the burrard bridge, which has a dedicated bike lane. For more info on biking in Vancouver; visit http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/bikeways/bridges.htm which is the city's website for cyclists. I'm sure UT as a downtown resident and cyclist will also be quicker to point out the optimal routes, as I rarely (pronounced NE-VER) cycle downtown, just in the burbs

I wouldn't bike the Granville bridge even if I had a death wish - it is the least friendly of the three False Creek bridges - has no bike lanes and is a speedway with cars doing more than 20 KM's over the posted limit on a regular basis - which isn't a creek really as it is a salt water arm of English Bay - if after your meal at Granville Island you want a little extra ride you could continue east along the south side of False creek on the seaside until you come to the Cambie Bridge - it has an extra wide sidewalk on the east side that is used by cyclists and walkers and then at the north or downtown end you can follow it down to the seawall and use it to get back to either the Hornby bike path that I mentioned or follow the bike path back to your start point near Stanley Park.

Now if you are still keen instead of taking the Cambie Bridge you could continue east to the head of the Creek passing the Olympic village and seeing Science World and then follow the route to the points that I previously mentioned.

Except for the Bridges the route is level and the total distance would be near what you usually ride.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived