Pea Soup in Alaska.....

sail7seas

If anyone would like the HAL recipe, I have it in one of the cookbooks we received from the Behind the Scene tour. Will be glad to post it here if you want it.

Mary Ann

Yes please. I know people who make pea soup with Ham & do not call it Dutch, so I am still intrigued on any other differences. (I make mine with smoked turkey or vegeterian - can't eat pork.)

Here it is. It is fairly long.

Dutch pea soup and the recipe comes form the Holland America Cruise Line Cookbook: A Taste of Excellence

Thanks. Aside from 3 forms of pork I am not sure why they call is Dutch. The leeks & potatoes are also differnt from mine, but not necessarily "Dutch." Ahhh well it is just a name.

My grandmothers were 2nd generation Dutch, and when they got married they each had two recipes to choose from, their mother's or their MIL's. (They both created their own version) The on thing I remember that they all had in common was Dutch Metworst (sp??) sausage. Mmmm. Our area has become less dutch, and it is hard to find anymore. But that sausage was so much better than bacon or ham. If I could explain it, I would try, but it is unlike any other sausage I have ever had.

I think they call it dutch pea soup because it is a staple on our menus for generations. We know other people may like it too, but we consider it a food that is Dutch, like the English claim fish and chips.

I really enjoy HAL's pea soup. If we ate in the Pinnacle on Dutch night, I would ask them if they could get me a cup from the MDR. They thought I was crazy, but they did :D Now, I sure hope the chef in the Westerdam likes the soup as much as I do, because it is on my top ten list for my Alaska cruise. I don't want to spend my Glacier Bay day hunting it down. Hopefully the program will tell us where i can find it!

Archived