need a new suitcase

I need to buy a new suitcase and not sure what to buy. As we are also doing a weeks stay after the cruise, there are a few extras i will be packing.

I did buy one of those lightweight suitcases, and for the first trip we did, it seemed a good buy as it only weighed around 2.5 kilos. However, it did not withstand a second trip, the wheel has buckled and the lightweight frame has bent. Whether this is due to a poor design or damage during handling, i don't know, but it did seem to drag along a little prior to our 2nd flight. I returned it t the shop where i purchased it, and they said as i did not have the receipt and it was around 10 months since i had purchased it. The value of that particular case was only £1 (what a joke :mad:) They said i should take it up with the manufacturer, but as they couldnt give me any details and there were no details on the case (the bit of paper attached to the case was discarded after we bought it) The only thing i can do is buy a new one. I did like the idea of the lightweight case but i really don't want to purchase another in case the same thing happens. Any suggestions peeps please? :)

I need to buy a new suitcase and not sure what to buy. As we are also doing a weeks stay after the cruise, there are a few extras i will be packing.

I did buy one of those lightweight suitcases, and for the first trip we did, it seemed a good buy as it only weighed around 2.5 kilos. However, it did not withstand a second trip, the wheel has buckled and the lightweight frame has bent. Whether this is due to a poor design or damage during handling, i don't know, but it did seem to drag along a little prior to our 2nd flight. I returned it t the shop where i purchased it, and they said as i did not have the receipt and it was around 10 months since i had purchased it. The value of that particular case was only £1 (what a joke :mad:) They said i should take it up with the manufacturer, but as they couldnt give me any details and there were no details on the case (the bit of paper attached to the case was discarded after we bought it) The only thing i can do is buy a new one. I did like the idea of the lightweight case but i really don't want to purchase another in case the same thing happens. Any suggestions peeps please? :)

Gosh - so sorry you have had this experience gizzie4 - but so pleased you have posted about it to warn others! I'd been looking at those very lightweight cases (with the Aluminium frame?) and had been close to getting one. I'll think twice now and do a bit more research.

One thought though about the firm's details - could you see a similar case in the shop and copy the details from that? I think the shop has treated you very unreasonably - is the case supposed to have a guarantee? If it's a 5-year or 10-year one these cases haven't been around that long have they? In which case, how can they possibly wriggle out of it?

As for advice on other cases, I'm as baffled as you as to the best way forward - the last case we bought was a hard shell with four wheeels which I'm not as happy with as I thought I would be - although a good make, it's not always that easy to wheel especially if the surface is poor (have you been to Gatwick recently? the walkway between the coach stop and North Terminal entrance is terrible - my case toppled over there - and me with it!! And it's not under cover either - they've made it much worse than before!! :eek: ) Also the hard shell isn't very forgiving if your packing isn't all nice and flat - lumpy things like shoes give me problems! Our soft cover type is a bit more forgiving and easier to pack (for me anyway) and I actually think I might prefer two wheels - but it has suffered more in the wear and tear department. So no help at all from me - sorry!

I do hope you get some satisfaction over the one you bought though - that isn't good enough is it? :(

We have used holdalls for the last few years on cruises. They seem to be more capable than suitcases to the assault by baggage handlers, they fit around 20kg, they only cost £15/ £20 each and they fold up and go under the beds in the cabins which I underdstand is a problem with suitcases.

Hope this helps the discussion.

I have an antler super light, 2.5 kgs which is like new after 2 trips if that is any use to you. I replaced my previous case which is American tourister, 10 years old and in excellent condition but weighs almost double what this one weighs. Can't say that the new one will be the same after 10 years.

We've bought 2.5kg cases too, one from Matalan and the other from Argos. Both have been used on more than two trips without a problem so maybe there was a fault with your suitcase gizzie4 but so annoying and upsetting for you. In the past, if any of our cases have been damaged in transit then I report it before leaving baggage claim to then be able to claim on our travel insurance for replacements.

Our cases do have a guarantee and I've kept the receipts for that reason.

I've often wondered about using those holdalls that Clive and Anne use but thought that everything would get thrown around and therefore creased in them :confused:

We find that if we roll the shirts,dresses, T shirts etc and they come out in a reasonable state. We have bought the extra 5kg and things like the evening wear, suits etc will travel in a suitbag that again collapses and goes under the bed.

Hi Gizzie we have recently bought new suitcases and have used them each twice and they are still as new.

They are made by Tripp and have a 5yr guarantee. They are not super light but are in comparison to our previous ones. The name is ' full circle 11-4 wheel upright'. They are on 4 wheels (obviously looking at the name!!) and are very easy to manoeuvre and are semi hard sides so are very strong.

Maybe look on the website for stockist www.tripp.co.uk , we got ours from Boundary Mill in Colne Lancs.

See you on the 25th June :D:D

We find that if we roll the shirts,dresses, T shirts etc and they come out in a reasonable state. We have bought the extra 5kg and things like the evening wear, suits etc will travel in a suitbag that again collapses and goes under the bed.

Clive and Anne - we was thinking about taking a holdall but then thought evening suit would get squashed.(Rolled up DJ doesn't sound like good idea)

You say you take suitbag, do you just put that through as hold luggage as it is. We also paid extra 5kgs but was going to just put extra weight in a case. Taking the suit in the suitbag as the extra 5kgs is good idea, but does suitbag and the suit survive the abuse of baggage handlers :eek:

Hi Runfold

You are quite right, arolled up DJ isnt good unless of course you have a rolled up Hubby to fit into it. lol

Without tempting fate, the suitbag we got as a present some years ago has so far survived the attacks by baggage handlers. I have just looked and there appears to be an email address which you might want to try. It is sales@landor-hawa.co.uk

We worked on the theory that we have 20kg + 5kg that we paid for making a total of 50kg and the maximum weight per case they will accept is 23kg then we might as well spread the load into three cases.

Hope this helps let us know if the email address is any good.

Best Wishes

Clive

If the airline damage your case you can report it to that airline they will send you a new one or pay for the damage, there's a 24hr desk in the baggage hall at Gatwick where you can report the damage straight away, they will examine the damage and make a report to your airline for you...my daughters (brand new) bag was flattened on a trip from Sharm by Thomson Airways we reported it and they sent her a brand new, similar in value & size case within a week

Thanks all you have all been most helpful. Kruzseeka, good idea to look at another suitcase for info! I too bought my case from Matalan, so maybe just unlucky so i will check this out. Holdall possibly a good idea. I am taking my wedding dress on the trip which will be suitable for the formal evening. It is just like a long evening dress, so will go in a suitbag then in the case. it shouldnt get too crumpled, and i am thinking that if it does a little, then i thought maybe the laundry could do something with it. John is also taking his suit as he didnt want a dinner jacket. this too will be in a suit bag and in his case, do suits travel well?

Will check out the website too and see what is the best option.

I don't think i packed my lightweight case very well last time as most of my stuff ended up at one end of the case :o

Not long now till our trip. Have had a couple of nice comments about my son from people returning from the celebration. Are any of you on the facebook page for Thomson cruises? would be nice to put a face to some of you :D

Hi Gizzie we have recently bought new suitcases and have used them each twice and they are still as new.

They are made by Tripp and have a 5yr guarantee. They are not super light but are in comparison to our previous ones. The name is ' full circle 11-4 wheel upright'. They are on 4 wheels (obviously looking at the name!!) and are very easy to manoeuvre and are semi hard sides so are very strong.

Maybe look on the website for stockist www.tripp.co.uk , we got ours from Boundary Mill in Colne Lancs.

See you on the 25th June :D:D

Thanks for that. will check it out. not long now :D see you on the 25th

Thanks all you have all been most helpful. Kruzseeka, good idea to look at another suitcase for info! I too bought my case from Matalan, so maybe just unlucky so i will check this out. Holdall possibly a good idea. I am taking my wedding dress on the trip which will be suitable for the formal evening. It is just like a long evening dress, so will go in a suitbag then in the case. it shouldnt get too crumpled, and i am thinking that if it does a little, then i thought maybe the laundry could do something with it. John is also taking his suit as he didnt want a dinner jacket. this too will be in a suit bag and in his case, do suits travel well?

I don't think i packed my lightweight case very well last time as most of my stuff ended up at one end of the case :o

Not long now till our trip. Have had a couple of nice comments about my son from people returning from the celebration. Are any of you on the facebook page for Thomson cruises? would be nice to put a face to some of you :D

As there are 4 of us, we take 2 cases and 2 holdalls - that way you can put heavier things like shoes, toiletries etc in the holdalls as well as t-shirts, swim costumes etc that won't matter too much if they crease and then other things like suits, dresses etc in the cases......The holdalls are great, I must admit & it's amazing how much you can squash into them! We have bought 2 of the lightweight cases from Matalan for this year being as the luggage allowance went down - hope they are going to be ok.

Glad you're hearing some good comments re your son on the Celebration, Gizzie - who is the Cruise Director & Assistant at the moment? I didn't know there was a facebook page - I will have to have a look!

First rule of packing gizzie - fill your suitcase!!! Just put something else in - 'in case' (no pun intended!) then add a bit more - you might need it(!) and so on ............... you can tell how I pack!!!! :D:D

Pleased all seems to be going well for your son. You must be very proud! :)

I thought on Thomson flights it was only one case per person? Or will they let you have 3 between 2 people making up your total allowance? :)

I believe you can take more than one piece of hold luggage so long as you stay within the weight allowance.

First rule of packing gizzie - fill your suitcase!!! Just put something else in - 'in case' (no pun intended!) then add a bit more - you might need it(!) and so on ............... you can tell how I pack!!!! :D:D

Pleased all seems to be going well for your son. You must be very proud! :)

;)

trouble is i do fill my case, it is always as near to the limit as can be ;)

I think the problem was that i had put the heavier items at the wrong end!

Very proud of Darren, He never blows his own trumpet and i try not to too much ;) . over the years, most of the comments have come from other people, and it has been so nice to overhear comments from people who don't realise i am his mum. i.e when i have been stood around when he has been in a show and someone has commented "That young lad will go a long way"

I think there is a lot of talent out there, and some more talented than Darren!

He will always be the first to say if he thinks someone can perform a number better than he can as he really cares about the shows being the best they can be, which is what i love most about him.

As there are 4 of us, we take 2 cases and 2 holdalls - that way you can put heavier things like shoes, toiletries etc in the holdalls as well as t-shirts, swim costumes etc that won't matter too much if they crease and then other things like suits, dresses etc in the cases......The holdalls are great, I must admit & it's amazing how much you can squash into them! We have bought 2 of the lightweight cases from Matalan for this year being as the luggage allowance went down - hope they are going to be ok.

Glad you're hearing some good comments re your son on the Celebration, Gizzie - who is the Cruise Director & Assistant at the moment? I didn't know there was a facebook page - I will have to have a look!

Hey Jules, again thanks for the info. the facebook page is run by a young lad called Sam,(i think he is someone who has an interest in Thomson ships, he doesnt work for them as he is still at school i believe) but it is quite popular and the info is good)

Bram Lorenz is CD and assistant Mab Rose, this is info i got from someone who has just come back from a cruise this week. Not spoken to Darren since he left in April. He did ring me the day before yesterday but it was so broken up i couldnt understand him :( it was his birthday yesterday so didnt get chance to wish him a good one. Still as i said he has been performing all his life and a lot of it away from home, so i am used to it. Will make up for it when we go:D

Hi Gizzie, ive just joined

I believe you can take more than one piece of hold luggage so long as you stay within the weight allowance.

I was under the impression we are allowed only one piece of hand luggage and that also includes handbags.

I was under the impression we are allowed only one piece of hand luggage and that also includes handbags.

I believe this to be true for hand luggage (at least if the check-in staff apply it).

As long as your aggregate weight doesn't exceed the allowance though i think you can have more than one for the hold. Can anyone confirm?

Archived