Experienced Carnival Cruisers - I Need Your Help/Advice (Valor/Victory/Triumph)

Chan_T

Okay, I need some expert advice from those of you who have cruised on several different Carnival ships. First, let me give you some background info. DH and I went on our first Carnival cruise on the Carnival Miracle (and loved it!!). In the past, we’ve sailed on Premier and Regal (which are no longer in business) and Royal Caribbean. We are in the process of trying to plan a family group cruise for February 2006. There will be several first-time cruisers in that group…varied age range (20’s – 60’s+). We really want to make the right decision, especially since this will be the first cruise for so many of those involved. Based on our time frame (around the 18th), I have come up with three options at this point. There is not a significant difference in the prices. Please provide any input that you can. Thanks in advance for your help.

7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise - Carnival Valor

Sailing Date

Feb 19, 2006

Cruise Itinerary

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart

Sun Miami, FL 4:00P

Mon Fun Day At Sea

Tue Belize 9:00A 6:00P

Wed Roatan Island, Honduras 7:00A 3:30P

Thu Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 9:00A 5:30P

Fri Cozumel, Mexico 11:00A 11:00P

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Miami, FL 8:00A

7 Day Eastern Caribbean Cruise - Carnival Victory

Sailing Date

Feb 19, 2006

Cruise Itinerary

Sun Miami, FL 4:00P

Mon Fun Day At Sea

Tue San Juan, Puerto Rico 5:00P 12:00A

Wed St. Maarten, NA 11:00A 7:00P

Thu St. Thomas, USVI 8:00A 6:00P

Fri Fun Day At Sea

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Miami, FL 8:00A

7 Day Western Caribbean - Carnival Triumph

Sailing Date

Feb 18, 2006

Cruise Itinerary

Sat Miami, FL 4:00P

Sun Fun Day At Sea

Mon Cozumel, Mexico 7:00A 12:00A

Tue Fun Day At Sea

Wed Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:30A 4:30P

Thu Ochos Rios, Jamaica 8:00A 3:30P

Fri Fun Day At Sea

Sat Miami, FL 8:00A

I guess I'm looking for pros/cons on each of the ships, especially since I've read that some people find certain ships more difficult to navigate and some ships tend to feel more crowded because of the layout. We really liked the layout of the Miracle. Although the ship was full, we never really felt like it was too crowded. If any of you have sailed on all 3 ships/classes, then I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

The Valor is the newest ship plus the itinerary is IMHO better than the other 2 . We just did the Triumph to San Juan and the evening stop is worth missing (on the Victory). I'm sure there's more to do there during the day. You also have 4 ports instead of 3. You may be more tired at the end of the cruise but it would all be worth it to visit 4 ports. I loved the size of the Triumph(& Victory - same class ship) as compared to the larger ships

I think we are going to go with the Victory. There are a few of us who have sailed to the Western Caribbean several times, but haven't done the Eastern Caribbean yet. So, it basically came down to the itinerary.

I didn't enjoy the Triumph, but that could have been because we sailed in Feb 2005 during school vacation and there were TONS of kids on the ship. We couldn't get a lounge chair to SAVE OUR LIVES on the ENTIRE cruise! So, keep that in mind if you are planning a Feb cruise.

I didn't enjoy the Triumph, but that could have been because we sailed in Feb 2005 during school vacation and there were TONS of kids on the ship. We couldn't get a lounge chair to SAVE OUR LIVES on the ENTIRE cruise! So, keep that in mind if you are planning a Feb cruise.

Uh oh...what week in February did you cruise? We are looking at the week of the 19th because one of the persons traveling works in the school system and will be off that week.

hehe...it was Feb. 19th.....2005

Ut oh...you may have a FULL SHIP! lol

Why are schools out in February anyway?? When I was in school way back when, we had spring break in March/April time frame, but didn't have a week out in February BEFORE spring break?

Well unfortunately each state regulates when the kids are out of school, but I can tell you that you are looking at a FULL ship during the week of Feb. 19. You will not be happy with not being able to find a lounge chair by the pool due to the "towel savers" and you will be really unhappy with the amount of "little ones" running around the ship, sometimes unattended. However, if Feb. is your prefered month of travel...have fun...if I were you, I'd go with May, June, and even September....IMHO.....just telling you the facts....good luck!

Well unfortunately each state regulates when the kids are out of school, but I can tell you that you are looking at a FULL ship during the week of Feb. 19. You will not be happy with not being able to find a lounge chair by the pool due to the "towel savers" and you will be really unhappy with the amount of "little ones" running around the ship, sometimes unattended. However, if Feb. is your prefered month of travel...have fun...if I were you, I'd go with May, June, and even September....IMHO.....just telling you the facts....good luck!

Actually, my preferred times are April (not during spring break), October, and any other "not as popular" times. However, since we are trying to put together a group cruise, that week in February seems to be the best option for some members of our group.

CT, I think you've made the right choice, especially considering you have first time cruisers in your group.

The Victory is similar in layout to the Destiny, and the only area we really had an issue with was the pool area. The layout makes the area seem really confined and small, but in actuality it was fine. There were times when it seemed like there weren't many chairs, but we found that if you really look, there is a lot of unused space that just requires getting a lounger off the stack. ;)

And the eastern itinerary, with the exception of the SanJuan late stop (don't understand why they stop here so late), will be great. Nothing wrong with San Juan (we've actually been quite a few times), just the fact that it will be dark. :(

Wonderful beaches and shopping in St.Thomas, and if anyone wants to just spend the day at the beach, a trip to St.John would be a good idea too.

One thing to prepare your group for, you will have to go through an immigration check upon arrival in St.Thomas. It's usually fast and painless, but very early.

And be sure to really research your group perks. Based on the number of points we were allotted on our Destiny group cruise, we had a $100 stateroom credit for each cabin, a one hour cocktail party and a photo credit for each cabin.

Find out what you group would really like to do. If they want to shop go eastern. If history is of interest--go western for the Mayan ruins. Great beaches and snorkeling/diving on both itineraries.

Uh oh...what week in February did you cruise? We are looking at the week of the 19th because one of the persons traveling works in the school system and will be off that week.

So will the Ankle Biters from the same school system. Lots of states take Presidents Week off. Not having a Presidents Week in Canada, we were completed caught off guard when we sailed while "the kids were in school" last February.

We have that week off in Feb here in my area. In my area the vacation schedule sometimes varies a bit town by town but YES many school systems take a week off in Feb and another week off in April. There are also school districts that take one week off in March and just long weekends for Pres day and Easter. That said...I think that anytime after the second week of Feb (sometimes our break is the week before Pres day, somtimes after) through the 3rd week of April puts you in Spring Break time.

Of the ships you have mentioned I have sailed the Triumph 2 times. Both were during my children's (as well as a TON of others) April Spring Break week and both times I had kids with me (all 4 of mine the first sailing and my 12 year old DD on my recent voyage).

Personally, I really like the Triumph! Hence the reason I sailed her a second time :)

I did not find the amount of kids to be a huge hardship most of the time. I have mentioned on other threads that what I find annoying is the parents who save chairs for all their younger kids who I NEVER saw laying in a lounge! Most of the time the kids are off and about and when they did join their parents it was a quick sit on the edge of the parents chair and then they were off again. Of course.....during these Spring Break sailings I was traveling as a parent so the number of kids on board ensured that my kids had plenty of companions. Since I am a single parent I am also interested in "adult time" and I had no problem getting that!

After reading the starting post I would have said that although I love the Triumph and have been on other Destiny Class ship, I would probably lean towards the newer ship (the Valor) if the prices were not a factor. Simply because it would be interesting to go on a newer and differnt ship. The Valor will have some things that the Victory and Triumph do not such as a more dedicated teen area (which may keep the kids population more contained) and a supper club for example.

I also like the itinerary for the Valor but again that is a purely personal choice.

If you really want to do Eastern then....there you go!

Regarding the chair issue, is it difficult to find chairs located RIGHT AROUND the pool or on the entire deck? When we were on the Miracle last month, we didn't have any problem finding table/chairs on the Lido deck.

Regarding the chair issue, is it difficult to find chairs located RIGHT AROUND the pool or on the entire deck? When we were on the Miracle last month, we didn't have any problem finding table/chairs on the Lido deck.

We never had a problem finding a table/chair to eat.

The problem is with lounge chairs and yes...mostly near the pools and stage. I did find chairs if I went higher and away from the activity but even then it took a keen eye sometimes! I prefer to be near the "activity" because i like the music and such but also because if my DD (or whichever kids I may be with) wanted to go down the slide for example I can watch her and take pics.

Not to throw a wrentch into your works.. but how about the brand new Carnival Liberty sailing the week you are looking. leaving from Fort Lauderdale. 8 days to the Eastern caribbean

Not to throw a wrentch into your works.. but how about the brand new Carnival Liberty sailing the week you are looking. leaving from Fort Lauderdale. 8 days to the Eastern caribbean

Let me take a look...for some reason, I thought it was sailing the Western that week.

We never had a problem finding a table/chair to eat.

The problem is with lounge chairs and yes...mostly near the pools and stage. I did find chairs if I went higher and away from the activity but even then it took a keen eye sometimes! I prefer to be near the "activity" because i like the music and such but also because if my DD (or whichever kids I may be with) wanted to go down the slide for example I can watch her and take pics.

Thanks!! Many times, I just like to sit on the deck and have a couple of drinks while listening to the music or watching other activities.

CTylor, following this thread with interest. I see you were just on the Miracle. I am looking at the Miracle or the Valor for next January. I have never taken Carnival before. (Have cruised on Costa, NCL, RCCL, and Princess.) I want the western itinerary for Mayan ruins. Want to go with my 18 year old daughter (a serious dancer) and am leaning to the Valor because reviews have given it top marks for production shows. This is not the usual reason for choosing a particular cruise--but is important to her. Any comments on quality of shows?

CTyler, following this thread with interest. I see you were just on the Miracle. I am looking at the Miracle or the Valor for next January. I have never taken Carnival before. (Have cruised on Costa, NCL, RCCL, and Princess.) I want the western itinerary for Mayan ruins. Want to go with my 18 year old daughter (a serious dancer) and am leaning to the Valor because reviews have given it top marks for production shows. This is not the usual reason for choosing a particular cruise--but is important to her. Any comments on quality of shows?

LUCY55, I can't provide any info on the shows as we didn't watch an entire show. The night we were going to attend must have been the night that everyone decided to attend (and got there quite early), so there were hardly any seats left, so we left. With that being said, if you do decide to go on the Miracle, then arrive early to any of the shows that you want to see.

• 1 month later...

My family will be on the Valor 2/19/06! We specifically chose this week due to school vacation and the ship because it's new and the itinerary. We sailed the Triumph the week of New Years (Dec 03 - Jan 04). That was also the Western and the kids loved it and can't wait to go again. My oldest daughter will be 17 and she helped me choose!

On all my cruises, finding a lounge chair by the pool has always been tough. I prefer the deck above the pool in the vicinity of the pool/music. It's not too loud or crowded and no trouble staying in the sun all day if that's what you want.

Dawn

Archived