Cruising Oz style.....

We are intending to visit my parnters son in Perth towards the end of the year (Just waiting to be made redundant) coming over for a couple of months and during that time I would like to take a cruise.

Am needing a bit of info on cruises available in Oz, the Northern one does appeal to me, starting from Sydney to Perth though it does mean flying to Sydney. Needing info on ports of call for visiting with disabled person (Arthritic)

The party would consist of her who must be obeyed, her mother (who is disabled and requires a wheelchair) and muggins (Me)

It would be nice to see Sydney, Brisbane and Freemantle again as the last time I was there was in 77/78 onboard a warship

rgds

:)

Hello DJrugrat

Several of the ports on the Over the Top itinerary require tendering. Brisbane, Darwin and Fremantle are the three docking ports and sometimes Cairns if you choose a ship that can dock there. Your mother in law would be able to go ashore in the tender ports if she can get out of her chair and walk the very short distance required to get on and off the tender. At some wharves there may be a few steps to go up or down depending on the tides. Our experience on P&O, Princess and HAL is that the onboard and on shore staff will do all they can to assist you get ashore if this basic requirement is met.

Brisbane - Try and choose a sailing that will dock at Portside and NOT the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island. From Portside you can easily get into Brisbane or to Southbank by rivercat via wheelchair accessible wharves - it is public transport. It is a pleasant cruise on the river and the Dockside terminal area is developing more services for cruise passengers.

We researched the other ports for a possible OTT cruise but have put it on hold until the timing is right. Harry can meet the tender ashore requirements. No independent operators or ship's tours were offering wheelchair accessibility or transport - well that I could find. We were planning to hire a car with a large boot and DIY it in Broome (very helpful Tourist Info Centre), do the same in Port Douglas, which we know well, hire a van and driver in Lombok and visit rellies in Geraldton. Thought we would just roll off and mooch around in Darwin - not being fond of crocodiles. The port area looked interesting and we have never seen this city so were happy without a tour outside it.

Cheers Colleen

Many thanks for info. Just what I need, clear and concise......

The MIL (Old coot) is a stubborn one and wont let anything stop her. Being 85 it will be her first trip to Oz and mainly to see her Grandson. Going to have to get her walking a bit more, if necessary will put her in for the next london marathon to get her moving !!!!

Must admit when I was younger and in the Navy didnt worry about your 'wildlife' however nowadays Im a lot wiser lol.....Crocs, octopus, platypus, spiders arent on my Xmas card list either !!!

Thanks again

Archived