Do staff keep 100% of prepaid gratuities?

Green Apple

Why can't HAL or any other ship for this matter,just charge the $11-12 daily call it anything you want and have it etched in stone. That's what every single passenger on the ship is going to pay.Period the end!

Why have an escape hatch or wiggle room,for the cheapskates who are lined up the last day of the cruise to have it removed?

This really is baffling (to me)

Thanks in advance

I don't understand that either, wakepatrol. Seems to me there should be "zero wiggle room" with the service charge. It is what it is.

As Lisa said, yes. And here's another idea: if that brings you close to another multiple of $300, and you want another day, you can add enough $ to your Hotel Service Charge to bring it over at the Front Desk.

Thanks RuthC - this has pushed me into deciding to use the on-board laundry service rather than trying to do it my self at the ship-board laundrette.

Also think I will put money down early as an on-board credit - just want to be sure that we are covered. This is our first cruise that is longer than 7 days and just want to be sure that it is all covered.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

SMILE - :) - it confuses an approaching frown

• 3 years later...
In the 25 years that I worked as a Payroll Manager - one of the primary guidelines that was emphasized by employers was that "no one was to ask/or discuss with other employees (or anyone outside of the company except to conduct personal business) what they received in salary or gratuties. Should the employee be found to have violated this guideline, they can and will be dismissed for violation of company rules."

While I agree that what happens to tips among crewmembers are none of our business, and that HAL's compensation policies are in no way subject to US labor law, it is fact that the above information has long since been struck down as a free speech violation and is no longer a viable position for an employer to take.

While I agree that what happens to tips among crewmembers are none of our business, and that HAL's compensation policies are in no way subject to US labor law, it is fact that the above information has long since been struck down as a free speech violation and is no longer a viable position for an employer to take.

Do you realize that you are on a thread where the last post that you are posting about is almost 4 years old? :D:D

I agree that posters usually should try to pull up threads on a particular subject before starting a new one, but to bring up a 4 year old thread is a bit of a stretch.. BTW I realize you did not pull it up but the poster who deleted the post above you pulled it up..

Edited by serendipity1499