Tipping? Do you tip extra over auto and if so much much?

Naomigruis

Ok first just let me state I'm an Australian coming to the USA for a five week holiday and will be doing the 7 day Splendor cruise to Mexico.

In Australia it is not common or expected to tip anyone, if you do its a dollar here or there for a waitress or taxi driver but not expected (our minimum wage is quite high)

So in saying that why do people Tip over those automatically added to drinks and s&s card. I have taken 2 cruises one out of Greece and one out of Australia and we were not expected to tip over the auto tips at all. (although I remember my partner leaving a $50 for the room steward on the Aust cruise as he provided ice each day for my stepdaughter insulion)

So what is the customs/expection on Carnival re tipping?

Do we tip extra? Why? And if so how much?

Thanks for the help/advise.

Ok first just let me state I'm an Australian coming to the USA for a five week holiday and will be doing the 7 day Splendor cruise to Mexico.

In Australia it is not common or expected to tip anyone, if you do its a dollar here or there for a waitress or taxi driver but not expected (our minimum wage is quite high)

So in saying that why do people Tip over those automatically added to drinks and s&s card. I have taken 2 cruises one out of Greece and one out of Australia and we were not expected to tip over the auto tips at all. (although I remember my partner leaving a $50 for the room steward on the Aust cruise as he provided ice each day for my stepdaughter insulion)

I have always left my auto tips in place, and if I feel the room steward and/or the waiter/waitress in the MDR go above and beyond I tip extra... Usually a 20

For the most part we tip the required amount, but on our last cruise our steward was awesome and we tipped him more. Also we tipped the matter'd more then normal due to a personal issue with my husband that he went above and beyond to help us with.

If you feel that someone deserves more, then tip them more.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

If you leave the autotip in place, you're not required to tip anything additionally, unless (like what happened in your example) some of the crew have provided you with additional exemplary service.

My husband tends to find one bar on board where he'll spend most of his time. He likes to talk/talk/talk, and (from my perspective!) "overload" his listeners with all his stories...so generally I'll find out where he is hanging out and tip the bartender $20 - $50 (depending on the length of the cruise) extra, jut for putting up with him! :o

And I use a wheelchair. If there are crew members particularly sensitive to my needs or particularly helpful getting me on/off the ship, then I'll tip them extra.

As for our room stewards, we're pretty low maintenance, rarely asking for anything special above what is already there, so don't always tip them extra.

Hope this helps.

I am from Australia too:)

I have been to The States Before and you may be surprised at just how much Americans tip in a bar or restaurant,usually around 20%+ :eek: But its the norm and expected. Go to a bar an order a round of drinks and not leave a tip and you wont get another drink,tip well and your drinks will be on the counter without telling the bar tender on your return. Bit strange at first but it works really well.still bit of a game from my perspective!

I am on my first carnival and USA cruise in June and will do the same as i do in Australia,Auto tips "left on" (no longer with P&O :confused:),tip the drink waiter/waitress on Lido when i am drunk or tippsie:D

Tip room steward on arriving at cabin $20 if i want towel animals and depending on attitude! then leave an envelope with $20 for steward and $10 for assistant last morning.

We always do set late dinning and do a whip around on the table for the waiter and assistant waiter last night but only around $20 per couple but we also like big tables so the $20 per couple is adequate.

I will stick to this extra tipping on my up coming America cruise because i feel the service of cabin stewards is usually excellent and wait staff at dinner the same but will not feeling guilty for leaving less than others.

I do not tip MRD staff extra for breakfast or lunch because they are the same staff getting tips last night in MRD.

Den

I have been to The States Before and you may be surprised at just how much Americans tip in a bar or restaurant,usually around 20%+ :eek: But its the norm and expected. Go to a bar an order a round of drinks and not leave a tip and you wont get another drink,tip well and your drinks will be on the counter without telling the bar tender on your return. Bit strange at first but it works really well.still bit of a game from my perspective!

I am on my first carnival and USA cruise in June and will do the same as i do in Australia,Auto tips "left on" (no longer with P&O :confused:),tip the drink waiter/waitress on Lido when i am drunk or tippsie:D

Tip room steward on arriving at cabin $20 if i want towel animals and depending on attitude! then leave an envelope with $20 for steward and $10 for assistant last morning.

We always do set late dinning and do a whip around on the table for the waiter and assistant waiter last night but only around $20 per couple but we also like big tables so the $20 per couple is adequate.

I will stick to this extra tipping on my up coming America cruise because i feel the service of cabin stewards is usually excellent and wait staff at dinner the same but will not feeling guilty for leaving less than others.

I do not tip MRD staff extra for breakfast or lunch because they are the same staff getting tips last night in MRD.

Den

tipping the steward before service is rendered won't get you any better service then if you tape that 20 to the bottom of your trash bucket. you'll still get a towel animal.

but feel free to tip who and when you want.

We always give our Cabin Steward an extra $30 ($10 at the beginning, and $20 at the end) for above and beyond service (getting our laundry back the same day, ice in the bucket at all times, extra towels in the bathroom for port days, etc).

Our Dining Room wait team always gets $40 extra ($20 to the head waiter, $10 to his assistants) for getting us out of the dining room in a timely manner, and the "special needs" hostess always gets an additional $20 (for allowing me to pre-order my meals due to food issues such as an allergy to mushrooms and not being able to eat anything with hot peppers in it). If we happen to see the Maitre D' at least every couple of nights, he'll get a $10 tip from us (yes I know that he is a salaried position - we still do that none the less).

Our pool bar server always gets at least an extra $20-30 from us depending on how quick his service is (i.e., how fast he can get me my double mango belinis in the morning, and my BBCs/pina colodas in the afternoon), and if we have the same server at the Comedy club, then we'll split the money $20 at the pool, $20 at the Comedy Club.

Room service always gets at the minimum $2-3 per visit to our cabin, regardless of whether it's in the morning for juice and coffee or at night for my peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

We love, love, love to chat with our waiters in the dining room. We have late seating and often we're there chatting with them till near the end of the dinner service. For putting up with us, we usually give an extra $50 or so at the end of the cruise.

For our steward, we don't ask for anything special and sometimes we rarely even see the steward. But we still usually give an extra $20 or so because the auto tips just seem so low to us.

If we have a bartender that we really like and get to know then we will give $20 or so as well.

The autotip is all that's expected. You are not required to tip anyone extra.

If you feel an extra tip is deserved, by all means, go ahead. It's entirely up to you and nobody else's business.

And don't forget, there will be a 15% tip added to your drinks. If you're going to tip the bartender extra, don't forget that.

Auto tips always left on S&S.

Extra tips to anyone that has gone above and beyond the expected service. Anything from simply remembering our likes and dislikes, to going out of their way to provide something special.

We generally tip our waiter and room steward $20 each, and their assistants $10 each at the end of the cruise in addition to the auto-tips. We may up it a bit on our upcoming Med. cruise since it is a 12 day.

We also tip $2.00 for room service.

Den

Will never give the steward or anyone else a bribe on the first day as I get good service on the ship and always get it.

At the end of the cruise if it is warranted we will add to the auto tip.

You do not have too, there have been times we haven't, and times we've had someone spectacular and slipped them a 20 or two at the end of the cruise.

The people we do expect to tip no matter what: the porters who take our luggage and help us back to the car after the cruise, room service a buck or two when we use them, and if we dive some money for the guides. Also we leave extra in the Steakhouse.

If anyone gets anything else it's because they were excellent.

We always just leave the auto tips on. We have never had a reason to reduce or remove them and only occasionally have a reason to give more. If cabin & MDR service is nothing more than we would expect (decent) then we don't give extra. If it is really special in some way then we give extra accordingly, at the end.

Bartenders & bar waiters we usually just let the 15% be enough, again unless they are really awesome, then we will add $1 or $2 to the slip you sign..

Room service, $2 per delivery, whether it is just coffee or if its a whole tray of food.

Porters $5 for 1 or 2 bags, $10 & up if more than 2 (only ever happens if there is more than the two of us sailing.)

Tour guides we have tipped $0 to $20 depending on how good they were.

We have always left the auto tips on and generally tip more on the last day if we have had great service. generally 50.00 to head waiter-40.00 to assistant. 50.00 to our room steward. We always give a couple of bucks with room service each time and the porters at the airport several dollars per bag--also the cab deivers.

Will never give the steward or anyone else a bribe on the first day as I get good service on the ship and always get it.

Ditto :)

I generally tip the waiter & assistant waiter $20 extra at the end of the cruise, as well as $40 extra for the room stewards. We have always received excellent service on board & felt that it was well deserved. We will be using Camp Carnival on our upcoming cruise so I expect that we will be tipping the counselors as well.

No one can tell you how much to tip extra, if at all. If you want to, then its totally up to you & the staff will be appreciative with any amount given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Australia not all cabins get towel animals and only some get a few during the cruise,Tracey really likes towel animals:confused: so the tip at the start of the cruise is to ensure we get some.

If Carnival gives every cabin towel animals then i wont need to leave a tip first day:)

Den

Archived