Bringing Food Onboard

Tina0922

My nephew has to take meds each morning and can only do so with this one particular flavor of yougart or flavored apple sauce but the back of the cruise book stated no coolers or perishables were allowed to be brought on. So, Is this true & we won't be able to bring a couple of the yougarts or a small tupperware with some of the flavored applesauce on for the cruise? He is extremely picky when it comes to taking his meds with this stuff. My brother & sis-in-law have not been able to get him to take the meds with fluids yet..... I see they have refrigerators in the cabins so are they a pre-filled mini bar? Also, are we allowed to bring a bottle of wine onboard for consumption on our balcony after we put the kids to sleep or it that a forbidden thing? Any help greatly appreciated.

Tina

Tina, I know they won't let you bring food items such as homemade casseroles, fried chicken, baked goods etc., but I really don't think you'd have any problem bringing small quantities of sealed yogurt or applesauce. I was going to research further on the DCL website, but it's presently down. Regardless, it would probably be worthwhile to give them a call and emphasize that these items are basically a medical necessity.

The rooms do have small refrigerators, but they are not stocked like a mini-bar.

Unlike almost every other cruise line, DCL does allow you to bring alcohol aboard; the only stipulation is that it must be in your carry-on bags. There is no quantity limit otherwise. So, yes - - you can enjoy your wine on the verandah. If you bring a bottle to the dining room, you'll be charged a "corkage fee" of $20.

Edited by PopFla

Website is back up - - found this ~

Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

The same section of the DCL website also contains the info about bringing alcohol onboard.

PopFla, I do not think that your quote/answer actually answers OP's question. The DCL policy you quoted is about the "container" the food is brought on board in - not the content of said container.

Question

What food or food storage containers are not permitted?

Answer

Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

The same section also states, however, that perishable items are not allowed.
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. [...] Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, and so for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.
As pretty much all food is perihable, though... and it seems that many people take all different kinds of snacks aboard, I would assume that applesauce/yogurt shoult be okay.

Tina0922, to be on the safe side give them a call. I don't think you should have any problems to take a small amount of applesauce/yogurt on, especially for medical reasons.

I would call and ask as most posters have recommended. It's personal preference, not medical necessity for the particular yogurt/applesauce. If you're wanting to bring something store bought, in individual containers and sealed, I wouldn't see it being a problem. I can't really see those as being different from say individual, prepackage granola bars. If you're doing the tupperware containers, that may be a different story. I'd call and ask and maybe come up with plan B just in case. As for the wine/alcohol, we always bring a bottle or 2 along for in room use.

All I know is what happened to me. In the Med. at every port we brought back local foods back with us to enjoy in our cabin. We brought cheese, bread, olives, wine, spreads to put on crackers. Quite a wonderful local feast to enjoy our Med. cruise. We put it right up front when we boarded and they said "enjoy". But who knows? Just explain the situation and hopefully they will understand. Have a wonderful cruise.:)

Great thanks guys. I will call just to double check because I don't want to be without since he MUST take this medication and will only take it with these things! Happy sailings....

Tina

If it doesn't have to be a specific type of yougurt I would ask Disney to provide it in the fridge so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I would get a doctor's note that he has to take the med with yougurt and brand X is all he will eat. That way if they question it you have back up as to medical need.

Disney offers a few different flavors of yogurt on the breakfast buffet (small pre packaged dannons I think), so you could probably check to see if they offered a flavored he liked....they are very easy to get from the breakfast buffet. Also, DCL seems to work very well with dietary/medical needs , so as long as the family lets them know these are needed each day they can be supplied. As for the applesauce, as long as they are the single serve packages that are factory sealed I would think they would be perfectly fine. They do not need to be refriderated and you can get serval different flavors in the snack pack sizes. I wouldn't want to lug my own yogurt around without a cooler since you won't get to your room before 130 in most cases.

• 2 years later...

About to have the same problem....

QUOTE=PopFla;33843784]Tina, I know they won't let you bring food items such as homemade casseroles, fried chicken, baked goods etc., but I really don't think you'd have any problem bringing small quantities of sealed yogurt or applesauce. I was going to research further on the DCL website, but it's presently down. Regardless, it would probably be worthwhile to give them a call and emphasize that these items are basically a medical necessity.

The rooms do have small refrigerators, but they are not stocked like a mini-bar.

Unlike almost every other cruise line, DCL does allow you to bring alcohol aboard; the only stipulation is that it must be in your carry-on bags. There is no quantity limit otherwise. So, yes - - you can enjoy your wine on the verandah. If you bring a bottle to the dining room, you'll be charged a "corkage fee" of $20.

The bottom line here is that no one is going to ask. If you bring in a few containers of yogurt (sealed, not expired) and place them in your refrigerator on board, no one will see them or inquire. No the fridge is not a paid mini bar. It is an empty fridge that you can use as you see fit.

It wouldn't hurt to have a doc's not in case you are questioned, but as above, we've brought back goodies from various ports, gifts of chocolate, etc. all in sealed containers, and never a word was said. But as above, you can't bring a cooler to hold your yogurt unless you have a doc's note calling it "needed" for medication issues (and I'd probably put the med in the came cooler). Again, if you can fit the small cooler inside your carry on, they won't see it and won't ask.

There is also a small group dedicated to passengers with special needs/health issues. They are very nice and can give you a lot of information. If you call the main number, they can transfer you.

There should be no problem at all with shelf stable applesauce. We will be taking nutritional drinks that our daughter needs. They didn't ask for any documentation. They just said to be sure that the items have the original seal. The only issue with the yogurt would be the need for a cooler for transport, but if you have a few yogurts in a small (six pack) sized cooler, I doubt anyone would care at all. Then you can store it in the stateroom mini fridge. You can always check with the special needs group to put your mind at ease.

And yes, wine in your carry-on is fine. We plan to bring some wine, and dome champagne for my morning mimosas. :-)

True...but we find that if we just get a cup of ice from the beverage station when we are keeping milk overnight, by morning the ice in the cup is not fully melted and the milk is wonderfully cold. My point being that this is an easy situation to remedy and a small amount of ice in the "beverage cooler" lasts a long time. The other ships have real refrigerators rather than "beverage coolers," so no ice needed.

The applesauce doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened, right?

If it's what I'm thinking of, the little snack cups, you can bring a bunch of them aboard and open them as needed. You can ice the open cup in the ice bucket until they are used.

I am more worried about gogurt my son uses to take meds twice a day. He will only eat a specific kind and flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought we covered that. Bring it along packed in a soft sided cooler that fits in your carry on (it doesn't have to be big for a bit of gogurt, right?) Have a doc letter just in case. When you get to your cabin, transfer it to the refrigerator. Gogurt is specifically designed to be OK in a school lunch box, do that is presumably from morning till lunch time.