Someone tell me about Half Moon Cay?

Looking at our cruise options for 2013.. and I see many threads where HMC is mentioned... as well as "clamshells"...

What is the deal with this port? Is it just a great beach?

Fill me in !

:-)

Thanks !

I would check out the private island thread under ports of call. You will find a lot of great info about half moon cay there.

Half Moon Cay is a private island owned by Carnival Corporation. There are excursions offered through the cruise line and a buffet lunch that is served on the island. No cash is taken it is all through your sail and sign card.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous and there private cabanas for rent

Hi, DH & I were just there last week, on the Fascination. I wrote a review with pictures of HMC. Just use the search feature to look for the review, It was called, Fascination Review, May 12th -17th.

HMC is a beautiful beach. I love it!!

:)

HMC=heaven for the day....

The place is amazing. The beach sand is so fine and white, the water is perfect, there is enough loungers for everyone on the ship, and there are plenty of options for excursions, or simply find a chair and lounge on the beach all day.

They have clam shells, cabanas, and the grand cabana (aka private oasis). The cabanas, IMHO are the best bang for the buck and there is enough food provided that you don't need to go to the Island BBQ to get lunch, no just nibble away on the chips/dip, fruit, and veggies provided. They also provide soft drinks and bottled water. There is a shower, AC, fan at the foot of one of the wicker chaise loungers...

If you want to see what it is all about, you can goto webshots and key in half moon cay and look at pics of the island, cabanas, beach, and so on...there is also a website called armchair tourist and if you use the option of searching by google earth like map you can focus right on the island and see some live video shots of HMC.......

I've been there three times, soon to be fourth, and it is a day of total relaxation.....I don't want to leave, but all my stuff is on the ship, so I am forced to leave....

Half Moon Cay is absolutely awesome and the cabanas are the best! If you do choose the clamshells, they are setting them up all day, so I imagine you find the person in charge and they will get you set up.

CJ

Half Moon Cay is absolutely awesome and the cabanas are the best! If you do choose the clamshells, they are setting them up all day, so I imagine you find the person in charge and they will get you set up.

CJ

Can you explain the difference?

The Cabana's are around $200 for the day, come with water, light snacks, snorkel equip, towels, and a outdoor shower and look like this

Pride19.jpg

The clamshells are around $15 or $20 for the day, I think, and help shade you from the sun, but from what I have read, can get rather stuffy and look like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY97VIn74j5QIUEaOvNd8wmMh9rBj4SmJSO-JyB_lknzOvYhUPqo_oaiRi

The Cabana's are around $200 for the day, come with water, light snacks, snorkel equip, towels, and a outdoor shower and look like this

Pride19.jpg

The clamshells are around $15 or $20 for the day, I think, and help shade you from the sun, but from what I have read, can get rather stuffy and look like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY97VIn74j5QIUEaOvNd8wmMh9rBj4SmJSO-JyB_lknzOvYhUPqo_oaiRi

oh wow I think I am in love...

thank you !

If you get a clamshell, be sure you have a beach bag or something to prop up the back a bit so the breeze flows through.

The ONLY places in the little straw market that will put purchases on your ship account are the bar and the gift shop. I couldn't use my HAL soda card at the bar because they don't have their computers on shore.

The little craft stalls run by local ladies DON'T take the ship cards and I'm not sure whether they'll take credit/debit cards...I doubt it...but they do take cash!

The beach is just gorgeous...super-fine sand, and lots of shade.

Looking at our cruise options for 2013.. and I see many threads where HMC is mentioned... as well as "clamshells"...

What is the deal with this port? Is it just a great beach?

Fill me in !

:-)

Thanks !

In 2009, DH and I stopped at this port while on the Freedom. It was our last port and we were getting a little tired and cranky. On our way to the beach, we saw a sign that said "You ll wish you could stay here forever". We both smirked and said yeah, right. On our way back to the ship, when we saw that sign again, we wanted to find a place to hide so the ship staff couldn t find us / we wanted to stay there forever!!!

LOVED THAT PORT!:)

My husband the "I hate beaches" guy made sure that I booked the cruise this year to HMC because he loves the beach there. We rent a cabana and he can sit in AC while I lounge in the ocean. The sand feels like flour it is so soft. I would go to HMC every cruise if it would work out for us. We are doing a b2b but one of the cruises we don't go to HMC but Key West--darn!!!

Archived