Question for DVC Members!

cde48

I now it depends on the season in which you want to cruise, but roughly, how many points do you have to use for a Disney Cruise? (Inside/Oceanview/Verandah) Just trying to see if joining would be worth it.

Just realized you're not a member. Buying to DVC to use primarily for cruising isn't a good idea, as the maintenance fees are rather high, think around $5 a point every year and it does go up every year around 5%. Also, the point requirements vary depending on cruise length and cabin. To give you an idea a 7 night cruise this year would cost you 134-398 points per person, depending on date and cabin category. You also have to pay a $95 fee to book the cruise in addition to the yearly maintenance. The point requirements to cruise each year goes up, so say you buy 800 (enough for the highest price) so 2 people could go, there is no guarantee that will be enough next year. Also, you need to buy direct from DVC to use your points on DCL, you can't buy on the resale market. DVC now restricts resale owners from using their points for anything BUT DVC resorts. So you also have to pay the higher direct price (now around $135 a point I believe) rather than a low of $50 on the resale market.

just realized you're not a member. Buying to dvc to use primarily for cruising isn't a good idea, as the maintenance fees are rather high, think around $5 a point every year and it does go up every year around 5%. Also, the point requirements vary depending on cruise length and cabin. to give you an idea a 7 night cruise this year would cost you 134-398 points per person, depending on date and cabin category. you also have to pay a $95 fee to book the cruise in addition to the yearly maintenance. The point requirements to cruise each year goes up, so say you buy 800 (enough for the highest price) so 2 people could go, there is no guarantee that will be enough next year. Also, you need to buy direct from dvc to use your points on dcl, you can't buy on the resale market. Dvc now restricts resale owners from using their points for anything but dvc resorts. So you also have to pay the higher direct price (now around $135 a point i believe) rather than a low of $50 on the resale market.

wowzers!

DVC is a great product, we just love ours but I would never use my points for a cruise just not a good value, better to rent your points and pay cash. I bought resale without any restrictions but I pay cash for my disney cruises then I use my points for a great post cruise stay at Vero Beach.:D

We are going on the Fantasy next February! We used 386 points for two adults. We are in a deck 6 aft veranda(cat 6). I agree probably not the best use of points but MIL wasn't going to use them. Not going to turn down a free cruise!

We've used our points plus cash on many occassions mixed with a stay at WDW at vero beach always worked for is mainly 4 night cruises in April may season.

We quite like it as we don't as yet rent our points out.

Archived