Beginner Scuba ...Who does Carnival use and any info

600MX

Does anyone know who Carnival uses for the beginner scuba excursion in Grand Cayman? Little nervous so if you have tips or suggestions for me I would be grateful. My friend and I will be on the Legend in August and we have booked this excursion. We aren't able to take any scuba classes before we go so I am not sure if there is anything that we can do to prepare. Any info would be great. :o

we just got back from GC and did the beginners scuba also called discover scuba.

My sister had done it before thru carnival and said they company was rude and rushed them in and out. from what i understand most cruise ship bought excursions are like that because of the mass amount of people. After a ton of research we decided on JJ Divers my wife and myself are not certified and it only cost $75 way cheaper then the cruise and the any other dive shops (we did end up tipping them but it was well worth every penny) all the scuba gear included and we went to a great site not just on port like eden rock and it was fully guided !!! we found them thru an excursion company and booked thru the web site http://www.jjdivers.com it waqs amazing !!! I really cant say enough, they picked us up and made sure we got back in plenty of time. we saw sting rays and turtles and so many different fish that our guild/instructor taught us about !! after the dive he brought us to a wonderful beach and hooked us up with a free drink (not sure if they always do that) but when we were talking thru email he said he usually stops by the rum cake factory or the local beer distillery for a free tour and samples. it was honestly by far the best time in grand cayman we have ever had we cant say enough about how they treated us! we are already planning on going back to get certified! they only charge $250 when all the others charge $500.

My wife even left a review on trip advisor under JJ Divers.

If you end up using them let them know sonny and sandy said hi!

• 2 months later...

How many times have you Snuba before?

I'm a little concerned. My son (certified life guard) Husband and I are interested in this excursion. We Snuba in St. Thomas and loved, so this seem like the natural progression.

we just got back from GC and did the beginners scuba also called discover scuba.

My sister had done it before thru carnival and said they company was rude and rushed them in and out. from what i understand most cruise ship bought excursions are like that because of the mass amount of people. After a ton of research we decided on JJ Divers my wife and myself are not certified and it only cost $75 way cheaper then the cruise and the any other dive shops (we did end up tipping them but it was well worth every penny) all the scuba gear included and we went to a great site not just on port like eden rock and it was fully guided !!! we found them thru an excursion company and booked thru the web site http://www.jjdivers.com it waqs amazing !!! I really cant say enough, they picked us up and made sure we got back in plenty of time. we saw sting rays and turtles and so many different fish that our guild/instructor taught us about !! after the dive he brought us to a wonderful beach and hooked us up with a free drink (not sure if they always do that) but when we were talking thru email he said he usually stops by the rum cake factory or the local beer distillery for a free tour and samples. it was honestly by far the best time in grand cayman we have ever had we cant say enough about how they treated us! we are already planning on going back to get certified! they only charge $250 when all the others charge $500.

My wife even left a review on trip advisor under JJ Divers.

If you end up using them let them know sonny and sandy said hi!

I think they use Don Fosters . I was on the Legend and did the certified shore dive. I think there was some people doing the discover scuba there as well. They seemed pretty nice to me . There was 8 people in my group with 2 divemasters . It was a short swim from thier property to the reef , I wouldnt be suprised if they used the same reef for discover scuba it was very easy to get around . From what I remmebered there was maybe 2 to 4 people that went with an instructor to learn some things when we did our dive . the dive masters I met when I was there were from Canada and Australia . Both were nice.

• 4 months later...

I have done the discover scuba twice, and Carnival uses Don Fosters and they are great!

NEVER felt rushed or hurried at all! I felt completely safe.

I personally would love to get certified and do longer, deeper dives but dh has health condition so he cannot dive. So I usually just do a little discover dive with someone in our party that has never gone.

I really appreciated the extra time they gave my dh the first time we went and he tried it. my second experience was wonderful as well. My dsil had a difficult time and they were wonderful with her as well.

I would not hesitate to book with them at all.

If you can manage it, I would really try to book a SCUBA course at home first.

I would also try at home. We did the scuba class on a cruise this past March. We did not pass. We were told 50% pass. There is so much to learn, lessons to read, tests to take, lessons in the pool, videos to watch, and of course scuba tests. It really took a lot of our time, which we thought would happen, but not to the extent it did.

Archived