Cabin Steward's -- Discretion

saltydog28

I really need to get my mother to join CC. She was reading this thread over my shoulder an she started laughing.

One day on the Statendam Mom was in the bathroom when they came in for a stateroom inspection. She didn't hear them because, like many HAL passengers, she's "older than average" and a bit hard of hearing. She burst out of the bathroom with the men standing in her cabin and looking in her direction.

She was naked.

It was VERY embarrassing to everyone. But they all got a good laugh out of it. Mom says she yelped and hopped back into the bathroom ... but not before a male supervisor got an EYE-FULL of what a 70 year old woman with one breast looks like naked.

Standing in her bathroom, door pulled closed, she started laughing while the men outside began trying to apologize.

Before Mom got dressed the phone was ringing with an apology from the Hotel Manager. :)

Mom always takes these things in great stride. But, as she says, she never paid for a bottle of wine by stripping before. :D

...Mom always takes these things in great stride. But, as she says, she never paid for a bottle of wine by stripping before. :D

What a wonderful sense of humor she has!!! I am certain I would not have handled this situation so smoothly. She must be one class act!

What a wonderful sense of humor she has!!! I am certain I would not have handled this situation so smoothly. She must be one class act!

Thank you ... I sure think she is! :)

Dad was kinda mad about it, when she told him what happened, but she smoothed his feathers down and, of course, the bottle of wine helped. :D

What a funny story! I also don't think I would be able to handle that with the humor your mother did. I once had a sister-in-law walk in on me in the shower, and we couldn't look at one another for several months! She swears she didn't see anything, too! Props to her for not taking herself so seriously!

• 3 months later...

Noone told me! My son wast oo young to use the kid's club. I wish I'd known I could toss him off the stern on a trolling line for fun. We had goggles for him, too. They should provide this information when you board. Is there a "modest fee" for this like there is for Pilates?

My son was really bored at Pilates. I should have sent him trolling. Good cardio workout, wouldn't you say?

mrsraggy:D

We try not to leave anything of value out in the open. Sometimes I get tired of opening the safe over & over but I always know where everything is. As for cameras, etc., we usually put them in drawers or in the closet. We've never had anything disturbed. Once in a great while a pair of sunglasses or a book will be used on a towel animal which we enjoy. :)

Noone told me! My son wast oo young to use the kid's club. I wish I'd known I could toss him off the stern on a trolling line for fun. We had goggles for him, too. They should provide this information when you board. Is there a "modest fee" for this like there is for Pilates?

My son was really bored at Pilates. I should have sent him trolling. Good cardio workout, wouldn't you say?

mrsraggy:D

:D If he survives the trolling you can drop him off for Skeet Shooting. Check with the Rev for all the details on Skeet Shooting.

I would assume the steward told him about the iron. How discrete are the stewards?

I don't know about HAL, but I was told aboard the Island Princess last April that the stewards' supervisors make spot checks of each cabin, primarily (I would guess) to quality control the work of the stewards under them. Also, they want to make sure that passengers are not trashing the cabin ... especially in those situations where the steward has been unable to get in to make them up.

I'm sure those spot checks involve confiscating any "contraband" items and items that could pose a safety hazard.

As long as the passengers were slated to get their iron back at the end of the cruise, I see no problem with it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

our steward didn't look askance at all at the mirror tiles we installed over the bed or at the trapeze we erected.. we simply told him we worked in the circus and were homesick...tipped him well to patch the holes needed for the rigging, once we vacated the cabin sat morning..

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen

aka Rumpleteaser

Seriously, folks, those irons can be dangerous. Ask someone who has had a fire. A number of years ago I saw my iron burst into flames, and it wasn't a pretty sight. I was in the habit of using the iron in my bedroom to press off a clothing item while I was getting ready for work. One morning I decided to just lay an item on my bed and take out a crease, so I plugged in the iron and left it sitting on the floor to heat up. All of a sudden I saw a flash and a flame and my carpet started to burn. Fortunately I was right there and got it out fast with only a quarter size burn in the carpet as a reminder. I think I had an overloaded circuit, but I'm not sure. What I do know is that I don't want to see that again. Imagine if someone left an iron plugged in and this happened on a cruise ship. The rules are there for a reason, and that reason is not to challenge the passengers' ingenuity!

The son of one of my best friends is a "recovery" person with Princess cruises HQ. It is his job to help find out who is stealing pax things on their ships. A lot of things only come up missing after a cruise and are reported to the home office. Per talks with my friend, very few things are stolen by crew, but when it happens, there will be a string of them on the same ship. Once in awhile they will ship a crew member home over stealing. If something major comes up missing the whole crew area is searched looking for it, no matter how big a ship, it is very hard for a crew member to hide something on it. :cool:

As for my blow up doll, do you know how hard it is to hide her. :D:D

" If he survives the trolling you can drop him off for Skeet Shooting"...

I was looking for ways to entertain him, not make little holes in him:D

He's kind of a cute little guy. Especially with a little kelp in his hair after trolling.

On a serious note, over on the "one thing you have to have on a cruise" thread, people are listing candles!

I'd rather sail on a ship full of contraband steam irons than with a few inebriated pax lighting candles in their cabins. Good Gravy!

Reason number six to wear your lifevest to dinner. (I found really nice orange heels to go with)

I was looking for ways to entertain him, not make little holes in him

He's kind of a cute little guy. Especially with a little kelp in his hair after trolling.

Trolling with the lad is a sure-fire way to get a whole lot of holes in him ... about a hundred little holes, arranged in u-shaped concentric rows and all roughly the size of shark teeth. :D Sharks don't miss nearly as often as some of the so-called "sharp-shooters" I've seen trying to fire at skeet.

Club HAL kids generally like the skeet shooting ... they get to take a really neat ride high up into the air off the starboard side of the aft Sports Deck. You can often (in one's mind, at least) hear the catapult go "poingggg!" in the mid-afternoon, followed by the high-pitched squeals of excitement as each target -- uh, I mean Club HAL kid -- is projected out away from the ship; a moment later you can hear the crack of rifle fire, followed by the distant sounds of splashing water as the Indonesian tender crews dash across the waves to pick up the pieces. :D

It's great fun ... ;)

And it's all FREE for the imagination ... particularly when Club HAL kids are acting up (roaming the ship like a pack of wild savages, nocking on doors at 4 am). ;)

[QUOTE]You are a somewhat twisted soul.[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as a compliment! Though ... what I actually have is a twisted sense of humor. :)

[QUOTE]I take it you don't like kids?[/QUOTE]

;) <---- it's called a "wink" ... meaning "don't take this with any real seriousness." Note ... my posts on these topics are filled with them.

I LOVE kids -- quiet, obedient, well-behaved, seen-but-not-heard ... and preferably not seen -- kids. ;)

[QUOTE]Aren't ministers supposed to like everybody?[/QUOTE]

We're supposed to like everybody? I must have missed that in Pastoral Care 101. ;) <---- (Note ... wink)

As an aside, and not directed at, or concerning, any one person SPECIFICALLY -- It never ceases to amaze me that some people have trouble understanding that I'm not serious when I talk about trolling for sharks with the Club HAL kids, or that boys are best raised in a box, being fed through a tiny little hole. I've actually had some people on this board take offense at such remarks. Frankly, in my opinion some people take themselves, and others, far too seriously. Heaven help these people if they ever read the Blender Thread. :D

You are about the funniest person on the boards. Too bad we can't steal you for our church, our pastor is retiring after too many years of selfless service. Ever considered joining the "dark side" and going Presbyterian;)?

It's so nice to find people who can laugh at life and themselves. So many folks seem so serious. There is almost always something to giggle about. Hey, since you were offering to buy a round on another thread, and I can't go on your cruise, would you cosider buying me a double whiskey sour and mailing it?

If you send it express mail, it won't have evaporated completely and I can suck on the envelope.:D

mrsraggy

[quote name='revneal'] or that boys are best raised in a box, being fed through a tiny little hole. I've actually had some people on this board take offense at such remarks. Frankly, in my opinion some people take themselves, and others, far too seriously. Heaven help these people if they ever read the Blender Thread. :D[/QUOTE]

Revneal, Don't change. In the short time I've been on this board you've changed my opinion of 'men of the cloth'.. you are truely a good example for all. I do like the Heinlien reference "The young man's name was Roderick Lyman Culverson III; he did not manage to catch my name. I have long suspected that the male of our species, in most cases, should be raised in a barrel and fed through the bunghole. Then, at age eighteen, a solemn decision can be made: whether to take him out of the barrel, or to drive in the bung."

[QUOTE]Rev Neal, it would have been soooo helpful if I had known your tip about "raising boys in a box" thirty years ago! [/QUOTE]

LOL ... I think my mother would ditto you on that! I was a very precocious little boy. I was always getting into trouble. :) <--- no wink ... truth.

[QUOTE]You are about the funniest person on the boards. Too bad we can't steal you for our church, our pastor is retiring after too many years of selfless service. Ever considered joining the "dark side" and going Presbyterian?[/QUOTE]

:) You know the old southern joke about the substantive differences between Protestant Denominations?

Methodists are Baptists who can read
Presbyterians are Baptists who can read and have air conditioning
Episcopalians are Baptists who can read, have air conditioning, and gin.

[QUOTE]It's so nice to find people who can laugh at life and themselves. So many folks seem so serious. There is almost always something to giggle about. Hey, since you were offering to buy a round on another thread, and I can't go on your cruise, would you cosider buying me a double whiskey sour and mailing it?[/QUOTE]

HEHEHE ... once I ordered someone on this board a bottle of wine from ships services and had it delivered to their table in the Dining Room.

[QUOTE]If you send it express mail, it won't have evaporated completely and I can suck on the envelope.[/QUOTE]

The lemon juice in a double whisky sour would have ruined long before it could make it to you. Just wait until we're aboard the same Dam ship and I'll be happy to buy you one. :D

[QUOTE]In the short time I've been on this board you've changed my opinion of 'men of the cloth'.. you are truely a good example for all.[/QUOTE]

I am deeply honored. Sadly, so many clergy need personality transplants.

[QUOTE]I do like the Heinlien reference "The young man's name was Roderick Lyman Culverson III; he did not manage to catch my name. I have long suspected that the male of our species, in most cases, should be raised in a barrel and fed through the bunghole. Then, at age eighteen, a solemn decision can be made: whether to take him out of the barrel, or to drive in the bung."[/QUOTE]

Ah, the version of the quip as found in Heinlein's [U]JOB A Comedy of Justice[/U]. Truly an excellent book -- and a book with a Cruise Ship in it ... a Cruise ship that, somehow, hits an iceberg while cruising in the tropical zone of the Pacific ocean!!!!!!

Actually, Heinlein used the quip in 4 different novels, including [U]Time Enough for Love[/U], where it was placed on the lips of Lazarus Long, [U]The Cat Who Walks Through Walls[/U], where it is attributed to Colonel Colin Campbell, and [U]The Rolling Stone[/U], where the narrator mentions that Roger Stone had threatened to bring out the barrel and use it on Castor and Pollux.

Heinlein is my favorite Science Fiction author. :)

Revneal,

Please allow me to chime in and say even though I am a relative newcomer here, I also enjoy your posts and your sense of humor. Of course I have a "twisted" sense of humor too, so I guess us "twisters" have to stick together *LOL* :)

I also have 3 teenagers that on some days would make a great addition to your tackle box when you go trolling *LOL*

Thank you for all the wisdom, info, kind words, and laughs :)

Archived