Galapagos Islands

eyes

Does anyone have any information on Celebrity's new Expeditions program to the Galapagos islnads? We are starting to plan a trip for our family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids ages 16 and 11. Any information would be appreciated. thanks Carol

Brief History of the Galapagos Islands

1485 It's believed that a northern culture from Peru ruled by the Incas, the Chimu, were the first visitors.

1535 The Bishop of Panama, Fray Tomas de Berlanga, was in route to Peru. His ship drifted off course by the ocean currents and "discovered" the Galapagos Islands.

1593 - 1710 The Galapagos Islands were pirates favorite hideout and supply base for water and meat (particularly the giant tortoises).

1793 - 1870 Industrial revolution had changed and rather than Spanish gold, seafarers searched oil which came from whale's blubber. This exploitation on the Galapagos, brought the tortoise, fur seals and sperm whales, near extinction.

1835 The Beagle visited the Galapagos Islands. Charles Darwin studied and noted the similarities and differences of the flora and fauna. He concluded that the species, to survive, would gradually alter based on environmental conditions.

1859 After 20 years of his life gathering supporting evidence, Darwin published "The Origin of the Species by Natural Selection".

1892 Galapagos is officially names "Archipélago de Colón" in honor of Christopher Columbus's discovery of American 400 years earlier.

1959 100th Anniversary of the publication of Darwin's Origin of Species, the Galapagos Islands became Ecuador's first National Park and the non-profit Charles Darwin Foundation was established to assist the in preservation of the islands.

1978 The Islands are declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO underlining its universal value for mankind.

2004 Celebrity buys a ship, decides to send passengers to pollute the island, they make lots of money.

2010 Condo's replace animals.

2015 God is PO'd, island sinks!

This ship 10/91
That ship 11/95
Whatever ship 12/98
here a ship 13/99
there a ship 14/00
everywhere
a
ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

I can't believe someone has not helped this poor soul!

This ship 10/91
That ship 11/95
Whatever ship 12/98
here a ship 13/99
there a ship 14/00
everywhere
a
ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Carol, the Galapagos Xpedition is a very unique cruise product. It is not a traditional cruise offering, with large ships, lots of entertainment, etc. It is on a yacht-like ship (84 passengers as I recall offhand), is all-inclusive including alcohol onboard, except for spa treatments, had excursions included, etc. This is a soft adventure experience, rather than a more recreational leisurely cruise.

That said, if you have real interest in a nature-sensitive trip to the Galapagos with your family, this is an excellent way to do it with the Celebrity touch. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more information.

<font face="Imprint MT Shadow" size="5" color="#FFCC00">[i]Amber[/i]</font>
<font size="4" face="Berlin Sans FB">Cruise Resource
BiddingFun and BiddingHELP</font>

Archived