off the beaten track places to go

herbanrenewal

Hi, all!

I'm back from my Transatlantic on the Mariner and thought I'd share an atypical review.

Rather than talk about the ports excursions that most people opt for, I thought I'd mention how our trip differed from most at three of the ports that we've visited several times before.

We were on the DYI plan for most of the trip. Highlights included our side trip to Girona Flower Festival from Barcelona. Girona is a marvelous walled town 1 1/2 hour train ride from Barcelona. If you've been to Barcelona several times, and have this popular port on an upcoming cruise, it was simple to metro to Sants, get the train tickets (7,80 euro each way per person), 5 euro cab to the old town (we each paid one way)...and the opportunity for a beautiful and unique event!

From Livorno we rented a car and drove to San Gimignano, one of the famed Tuscan Hill Towns. This was the most expensive of our excursions since the rental was 100 euro. there is only one rental that meets you at the peer (and saves about an hour picking up and dropping off car...look for sifracar affilliate of Hertz) All together we spent about 75 euro each, but it gave us complete freedom to go where we wanted and spend as much time as we liked. I can not tell you how memorable the Tuscan hills are when all in bloom with bright red poppies and yellow broom - like driving through an impressionist painting. Only problem was the roads are so narrow and curving that i couldn't pull over to get shots of the most breathe-taking of the fields of flowers (but not so narrow I felt unsafe).

My other off-the-beaten track trip was from Civitavecchia to Milan. Since Rome is another frequent port, I thought I'd mention what a fantastic destination this was - due to a CC member's mention of Trenitalia sale, I got reserved seat for just 19 euro - unbelieavable deal. The train trip was scenic, along the coast to Genoa then inland with the Alps in the background. A 5+hour trip but lovely. Then I got to spend a terrific 1 1/2 days in Milan - wish it was longer, and wish I could have extended the trip to Lake Como...maybe next time!

I LOVED this cruise. It was a pleasure meeting the CC roll call members, either online or in person!

My photobook is here -

http://kathcoll.shutterfly.com/2670

easiest to view in full page view.

PCs load fastest if you have a newer version of the free Adobe flash player

I can't get it to work on my Ipad, so if any of you Apple folks know how to get shutterfly to load on Mac prudcts please let me know!

Archived