Disney Magic in New York

alaska_planner

Heard her before we saw her. You can't mistake "When you wish upon a star" played on a ship's horn. Got up from my desk and went to the window. She sailed past lower Manhattan and up the Hudson River.

IMG_20120525_104012.jpg

IMG_20120525_103952.jpg

wonderful pictures!!!!! thanks for sharing!!!!!

No one can ever accuse Disney of not knowing how to promote. This weekend in NYC is Fleet Week and the 25th annual OpSail. So what is docked in the middle of all the warships and other naval vessels surrounded by all the tourists? The Disney Magic!

On Friday, May 25, I had the pleasure of visiting the USS Wasp and several tall ships docked at Manhattan's Upper West Side piers for Fleet Week and Op Sail. The Disney Magic was berthed at Pier 88, and I was able to get good views of her from several perspectives, including from the deck of the Wasp and from Pier 90 as well as from the cruise terminal complex walkway directly in front of her bow.

Later that afternoon, I took a New York Waterway ferry from the 39th Street ferry terminal to Port Imperial, Weehawken. En route, I shot some video. As seen in this clip, we passed fairly close to the stern of the Magic:

When I got to Weehawken, I found a good vantage spot on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway from where I had a clear view of the Magic. Knowing that her departure was imminent, I waited there and was able to take these videos just after she pulled away from the pier and as she was making her way down the Hudson:

IMHO, she's one of the most attractive, elegant-looking passenger vessels sailing today, with her distinctive raked yacht bow and cruiser stern. Indeed, her design and livery is reminiscent of the liners of yore, such as the France, the United States, and even the original Queen Elizabeth. It was wonderful to see her cruising down the Hudson set against the New York City skyline.

Enjoy!

On Friday, May 25, I had the pleasure of visiting the USS Wasp and several tall ships docked at Manhattan's Upper West Side piers for Fleet Week and Op Sail. The Disney Magic was berthed at Pier 88, and I was able to get good views of her from several perspectives, including from the deck of the Wasp and from Pier 90 as well as from the cruise terminal complex walkway directly in front of her bow.

Later that afternoon, I took a New York Waterway ferry from the 39th Street ferry terminal to Port Imperial, Weehawken. En route, I shot some video. As seen in this clip, we passed fairly close to the stern of the Magic:

When I got to Weehawken, I found a good vantage spot on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway from where I had a clear view of the Magic. Knowing that her departure was imminent, I waited there and was able to take these videos just after she pulled away from the pier and as she was making her way down the Hudson:

IMHO, she's one of the most attractive, elegant-looking passenger vessels sailing today, with her distinctive raked yacht bow and cruiser stern. Indeed, her design and livery is reminiscent of the liners of yore, such as the France, the United States, and even the original Queen Elizabeth. It was wonderful to see her cruising down the Hudson set against the New York City skyline.

Enjoy!

i sailed on the original Queen Mary and on the United States and i agree, the Magic and the Wonder definitely have the classic lines of liners of yore :)

My wife and I just got off the Disney Magic this morning from her first cruise out of New York City. We had a wonderful time on the Magic. Disney knows how to put on a production even on a ship.

Terrence

Please tell us all about it! What did you do on your Port Canaveral day? Glad you had a good time!

Archived