Rental Car Locations

kpotts

We will be in GC in early June on the Conquest. Thinking about renting a car and driving to the turtle farm. Most rental agencies seem to be at the airport, are there any closer to the cruise terminal? On a map the airport looks close so is that okay ? Where do you get the shuttle to take you to the airport ? Should we book using orbitz? Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

We booked our jeep through Avis. All of the car rental agencies are at the airport, but Avis picks you up in a courtesy van at the Blue Iguana gift shop which is about a 5 min walk from the pier you tender into. Once we reached the Blue Iguana, they called Avis and the van was there in 5 mins to pick us up. It was no more than a 5-10 min drive to the Avis office. Avis had all the paperwork all set to go and we were out of there in less than 15 mins.

We booked the Avis car through grandcaymanexcursions.com, but you can also go to their website directly.

We paid $79 for a jeep which included the gas, insurance and temporary driving permit. You can also rent a car for less than that. The steering wheel was on the left side of the car, just as we are used to in the US, however you do drive on the left side of the road. It was not difficult to get used to.

If you are renting a car, you may want to consider exploring a little more of the island. Please read my thread about Rum Point, it is absolutely beautiful there!

kpotts.....We will be in Cayman early June also. We've rented a jeep through Cayman Auto Rentals which is about 3 blocks East of the Cruise Ship Terminal. About the same price, yet no shuttling to the airport. You must read Boatbunny's thread...sounds like this could be our best day! By the way, which ship will you be on??

Michelle....You've already sent me the pictures and they're beautiful!!! Thank you again! Bill

Kpotts...You'll be there the week before us. Have a great time! Save me a Red Stripe! :D

Boatbunny,

Thanks for the photos--looking forward to July 20th in GC.

I'll have to go with your firsthand experience with AVIS and the free shuttle to the airport. I sent AVIS an e-mail asking if they had a shuttle from the pier area and the representative, (who probably is in an underground bunker in the midwest) said they have no shuttle service. Again, I'll go with somebody that actually has had some experience doing this on the island.

I hope to be "on the road" and enroute to Rum Point by no later than 8:30 as this place looks fabulous.

Boatbunny,

Thanks for the photos--looking forward to July 20th in GC.

I'll have to go with your firsthand experience with AVIS and the free shuttle to the airport. I sent AVIS an e-mail asking if they had a shuttle from the pier area and the representative, (who probably is in an underground bunker in the midwest) said they have no shuttle service. Again, I'll go with somebody that actually has had some experience doing this on the island.

I hope to be "on the road" and enroute to Rum Point by no later than 8:30 as this place looks fabulous.

Hi Gerry,

I also sent you an email to your personal address, but just for the benefit of everyone on this site, you want to email Cico Avis directly on GC. Here is the webpage for them:

http://aviscayman.com/cruise.htm

This is an "official" AVIS rental agency, but I get the feeling that they operate independently than the US national AVIS we are used to. You will see it is the same AVIS logo that we are used to, and I assure you that the office is a regular rental agency. The vehicles were new, in great shape, low mileage, etc. They do offer transportation from the Blue Iguana gift shop which is about 3 blocks (less than a 5 min walk) from the pier you tender into. The Blue Iguana will call AVIS, a van was there to get us in less than 10 mins, and it is only a 10 min drive to the airport. With an advance reservation, we had the paperwork done and were on our way in a less than 10 mins as well.

I felt more comfortable going with a recognized rental company. I will forewarn people though, they do have a "no problem, mon" attitude. After my original reservation, I received a very short email indicating the date, car, etc. Not the usual web confirmation you would receive if you were booking a car here in the US. I did send an email a week before we were due to arrive to reconfirm, and I received a quick "you are all set" email back. Don't worry, everything is fine. This is not a shack in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of used cars!

I am sooo envious of you going!

Michelle

Archived