Gem - OS v. AE - worth the cost ?

marc b

Looking at Gem this summer. Have sailed on NCL in penthouses befroe and have been very happy. Never been higher than SE category. OS is $ 1800 more than AE (for both of us), but with cabin credit, narrows to $ 1400. That $ 200 per night. Thinking about doing this for once in a lifetime kind of deal. Thoughts ? Thanks....

That's an awful lot of money.

I don't see a category AE, or a category OS, on that ship. I would imagine that you mean Owner's Suite (category S2 or S3), but what is the AE?

Part of me wants to tell you not to do it......because you will be forever spoiled and it will be very hard to go back. :D

The OS on the Jewel class is amazing! We just spent 17 days in 10004 on the Jewel and it is amazing. There is so much space, large living room, large bedroom, large bathroom and a dressing room, front and side balconies and a guest half bath. You also get a three bottle bar set up and reserved seats in the theater. Also, you will have priviledges to go up to the Haven. If you feel comfortable with spending the money, I would tell you to go for it.

PS I recommend the deck 10 OS over the deck 9 OS; deck 10 has a slightly larger cabin with a bump out for the dining table.

I have been mostly in the SE suite and loved it. Twice I received the "call" for an upsell to an OS and took them both times but do not that think that I paid over $800 for 2 of us which I felt was worth it. But I am happy with the SE but would never go back to the balcony and my traveling companion would not let me

It is really a personal thing as to whether it is worth the money to go to OS. For a once in a lifetime I say go for it. You only live once. I will also add be careful doing this. It is very hard to go back. You will be totally spoiled. There is a huge difference from the SF - S3. Granted you still get all the perks. It is just the space in the room. You will get access to the haven, unlimited soda & water plus you do get 3 bottles of alcohol. Oh yes and what I found to be important. You can show up at the show last minute and still have a seat..What ever you decide you will have a grat time. Enjoy

Think we will go for it. Have been trying to negotiate for a larger cabin credit with TA, but think it is about as low as they can go. Can't rely on the upsell - but definitely is a rationalization process: (1) Difference in price is $ 1800, but cabin credit is $ 400 more, so down to $ 1400. (2) On Princess, we always try to get into the Sanctuary (pay-per Haven), so that would be included - so there's another $ 300.....(3) Can't drink $ 1100 worth of soda/ and 3 liquor bottles, but that helps as well.

I fear the "can't go back" factor. Thought it would stop at the SEs.

Archived