'Favorite Book' recommendations while lounging around the pool...

It seems like I only get the time to read a book on planes or on vacation, and the last book I read (in Hawaii!) ;) was "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Phillippa Gregory. Absolutely ENGAGING from page one, I could not put it down! Everyone I know who has read that book has said the same thing. Historical fiction is not usually a genre I read, but this book was SO interesting and well-written. :)

I see my all time favorite page turner has already been named so I will second it....The Charm School by Nelson DeMille. All of his other books are good but I would say Spencerville is second to The Charm School.

I just found a new author I had never read that is comparable to DeMille. Vince Flynn. Just be sure to read his books in order. I leave for a 16 day "land" vacation soon and I will pack at least 10-15 books so I had to check out this thread for new ideas.

Happy Reading!!!!!!!

For absolutely mindless and light fun, read the "Shopaholic" books by Sophie Kinsella. Very funny...especially if you're a shopper! Try to read them in order if possible..."Confessions of a Shopaholic", "Shopaholic takes Manhattan", "Shopaholic ties the knot", and "Shopaholic & Sister." Very much in the "Bridgett Jones" type genre. I thought they were perfect for cruising. Enjoy!

Just came back from Explorer and I read her newest one "Can you keep a secret?" in like 2 days! I totally love her! And, I met a new friend on the ship and we totally laughed when we saw each other reading the same book, needless to say, we found out we had a lot in common!

I haven't read Shopaholic & Sister yet, so I'll have to pick that one up for some summer beach reading!

I love books by John Irving. (fiction)

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" "World According to Garp" and "A Widow for One Year" are my favorites.

John Irving writes a persons life story. His books are quirky and humorous. If you read one, I hope you enjoy it.

I love John Irving too. Also Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove, a pulitzer prize winner, was perhaps the best novel I've ever read. And ladies, don't let the "western" feel of the book scare you away....it's a remarkable book.

Was on VOS 2 weeks ago and literally read these 2 books poolside (both were very good):

The Time Traveller's Wife

The Kite Runner

And a suggestion: How about: Into Thin Air, an amazing and suspenseful account of a group climb up Mt. Everest. It was a fascinating, can't put it down read. And to read about 40 below zero temps from a cruise ship in the Caribbean......go for it!

BTW, great thread!

Just came back from Explorer and I read her newest one "Can you keep a secret?" in like 2 days! I totally love her! And, I met a new friend on the ship and we totally laughed when we saw each other reading the same book, needless to say, we found out we had a lot in common!

I haven't read Shopaholic & Sister yet, so I'll have to pick that one up for some summer beach reading!

I totally agree about those books. Haven't read Shopaholic & Sister yet or Can You Keep a Secret yet either but I loved the other Shopaholic books.

But for a mystery, one of my all-time favorites was Retribution by Jiliane P. Hoffman. It's a a serial killer mystery with a twist! Sooooooooo good!

I also like Mary Higgins Clark ones. Anything by her is always good.

Anything by Carol Goodman is well worth it if you want mystery that's good; James Rollins has a great new book out called Map of Bones, which is a Da Vinci Code-type knockoff. I can also recommend Brimstone, by Preston and Child.

Nancy

Speaking of Preston/Child (love them), Douglas Preston has a new paperback out of The Codex. He wrote it without Child, but I'm sure it will be good (hope so, I just scored it at the local used book store). I like Philip Margolin, Richard North Patterson, Carol O'Connell, and Stephen White, as well as Ridley Pearson and several others.

Now, if you want a fun cruise related book, try JA Jance's Birds of Prey. It takes place on an Alaskan cruise! It's a stitch trying to figure out what ship they are on--I think it's a Princess. Jance's books are murder/crime mystery/drama with a healthy dose of humor. She does do a series and this one is about 12 or 14 books in, but you'll still get it. She gives just enough background to "catch up" new readers. Her writing style is quite fun and the main characters in her 2 series are terrific. She's also written a few unrelated darker novels. The only one I remember off-hand is Kiss of the Bees. Anyway, try Birds of Prey for the cruise factor alone.

Happy reading!

beachchick

Archived