A few observations re: our SPlendor cruise 5/20-27

Unknotted

First of all, this isn't a review. Secondly, I'm going to try not to rave or complain, either way. This is just a few things I noticed that were different from most of our previous Carnival cruises. Some of these things have been posted here before (therefore they aren't "news") but I'm mentioning them anyway, just for confirmation.

This was the Carnival Splendor cruise out of Long Beach - May 20-27

1.) We got the call saying to be at the port at 12:30. Lines were still long until around 2PM but there were no boarding numbers being give out by then.

2.)No ice bucket in the room. Room Steward made a point of telling us "PLEASE ask for anything you want. If you don't see it, ASK and I can probably get it for you." We asked for ice every day and got it...but only after we asked.

2.) No ammenities basket in bathroom. I asked our steward about it and he said, "We don't put them in all the cabins now, but if I can find some I will bring you what I find." The next day we had a paper bag in the bathroom with 3 packs of Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner, 3 packs of snore strips and 5 small single use packs of toothpaste.

3.) My favorite chocolate cake (found in the buffet on embarktion day) has had a change in recipe, making the texture and taste both different. They did serve it on other days too (used to only be embarkation day) so I am assuming the new recipe is probably cheaper to make.

4.) Almost no chair hogging. There was a continuous marquis scrolling at the bottom of the big screen outside warning that your stuff would be confiscated if you saved chairs. There were also signs all over the place warning the same...40 minute limit on saving chairs.

5.) I didn't see any kids in adult only areas, but often saw ship staff policing those areas.

6.) For the first time ever we could feel the junction of where our beds were pushed together.

7.) No Drink of the Day...now it's Daily Drink Special, which was a regular foo-foo drink reduced in price, served in regular glasses. They still had the unique glasses (funnel, blow fish, coconut) and those came with any drink you wanted, for $14 and change.

8.) Bacon police were also policing ham.

9.) Only half grapefruits now...no precut sections in a big bowl.

OK, that's all that really stood out for me in the way of differences, although I am sure other people may have noticed more.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Excitedly waiting for our turn in July.

Have a great cruise, she is a nice ship.

Hint: If you can't find a place to sit in the Lido buffet, try the upstairs part, where the rotisserie is. If you've been on a Freedom class CCL ship it's where the fish and chips are on them, and usually seating is available up there.

Thanks for the info as we'll be going out on the Splendor for the 1st time in 4 weeks.

I know this is not a review... but did you book any good excursions?

Thanks again,

Sorry LAdad, we didn't do any ship sponsered excursions. We've been to both ports before, so we just rented a car in cabo and drove up the coastal highway, then in puerto Vallarta we took a taxi to the malecon (boardwalk) for a few hours. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for the info as we'll be going out on the Splendor for the 1st time in 4 weeks.

I know this is not a review... but did you book any good excursions?

Thanks again,

I'll toss a couple in here:

1) Las Caletas in PV

2) Behind the Fun tour on the ship (if you are interested in that sort of thing)

Loved both!

Archived