Would you go back to your previous holidaying?

BigKeith

Hi everyone,

Been away from the boards for a while and I've just got back from Benidorm. I've always loved Beni but I don't go for as long as I used to. I remember many years ago when I went on packages to the Costas and had a really great time. I know with the Euro things aren't what they were but after strongly catching the cruising bug I don't think I'd enjoy that type of holiday as much now that I've experience a great alternative. I have friends who love to cruise but will also make time for skiing in the year.

Curious, what did you do for holidays before and would/do you still doit after catching that highly contageous 'cruise bug'?

Big Keith

I would go back and do the last cruise I did, why, becuase I went to see where my Grandad died in WW1 after a 5 year search to find him, for me it was the icing on the cake and I was the first one EVER to go and see him, so he was there for 95 years and no visitors and as a bonus I found some of my "lost" family as well :D:D. So thinking I came from a very small family I now discover that I come from a huge family.

If I had to do a "resort" holiday I would go back to North Cyprus, absolutely loved it out there and very nearly bought a flat we liked it so much, but now I don't think I would. I think you see more of the World on a cruise.

We always make time to go to North Wales, with the dogs, normally try and get there twice a year, but this year because of the Olympics and Hubby works on the tube, we will only managed 1 visit this year.

Land holidays don't interest me anymore since catching the cruise bug 9 years ago.

Before catching the cruise bug my son and I loved taking short trips to Europe and Scandanavia etc by plane or using DFDS or Colorline as a mode of transport rather than as the actual holiday.

At least with cruising we know what our accomodation,food & entertainment will be like.:D

Since our first cruise in 2003 we have taken a cruise as our "main" holiday every year. But we still enjoy having a week in the sun on land somewhere, to really explore a place, and city breaks because a few days is much more relaxing than a few hours, and hotel breaks in a nice part of the uk for walking etc. Could just do with a little lottery win to help pay for them all!

kate

Sometimes visiting a port is enough to make you wish for a longer holiday there- cruising was how we discovered Santorini, and we booked a week there almost as soon as we arrived home. I think we'll be doing the same with Croatia, after a couple of ports and villages....we're checking a hotel which our tour guide said was good.

We usually visited somewhere on the Spanish Costa, or Mallorca etc, before cruising; now I've visited Northern Spain 3 or 4 times as a cruiser, I'm keen to sail on the ferry across, and have a few days in that area.

Jo.

In our younger days we did beach type holidays with the kids in Europe and the UK but always did a lot of sightseeing and hardly ever went back to the same resort.

As the kids grew up we did more in the way of twin centre breaks and touring holidays but then we discovered cruising in 1992 and never looked back. We love to cruise (33 done and 5 more planned) but, as I have an unquenchable desire to see the sights of the world, we still do coach tours in places that are inaccessible by cruise ship. The downside to that is the constant change of hotels and the living out of a suitcase but it is all worth it to see what a fabulous world we live in.

I’ve had some health problems recently and just hope I can still travel. I have learnt not to put things off because we never know what is round the corner!

I have only been on two cruises (with a third later this year) and although i will always look out for them to see if any our out there in my price range and to the places i won't to go i would still do other types of holidays if im attracted to them.

As good as a cruise is for a break and getting an overview of a place i don't always think you get long enough somewhere. Also i don't think you can snowboard just yet on a cruise ship.

Love cruising, but love land vacations more. There is so much to see in that big wide world, and you only get to glimpse it on a cruise, with just a few hours in port. Yes, people do say they will go back but, in reality, how many people do?

Committing to one form of travel narrows your options so much, and although I know that, for some people, it is a convenient way to holiday (especially if you have mobility problems like me - dodgy knees) I can't understand why anyone would not want to go out and explore.

If I'd stuck to cruising, I never would have touched Ayers Rock and watched Aboriginal painters at work, or flown over the Grand Canyon and toured Monument Valley; driven from Chicago to the Field of Dreams in Iowa and back (400-mile round trip :)) just to stand on the famous baseball diamond and walk into the corn.

I suppose an ideal way around it would be to combine the two, land holiday and cruise, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Our main holiday this year will actually be a cruise, but if funds and knees allowed it, I would lways opt for a land-based trip. In Europe especially, you need to devote enough time to fully appreciate the many wonderful and diverse cities on the continent.

Archived