Review: Lost World Canopy Tour

Indiana627

Frenchie123....the heights did not bother you? Did you zip through the trees or over large cavernous spaces? (My group really wants to go but I don't like heights! I know it would be a once in a lifetime experience but I also know there is no turning back once you start! I don't want to be a party pooper!)

I just got back today from my cruise on the Miracle. I tried to canopy tour and absolutely loved it. It was the highlight of the trip. I am a chicken and do not like heights or roller coaster, but I loved it. You don't see the bottom because of all the trees. I felt absolutely safe, they were very safety oriented. The tour was 104 pp. No lunch, just punch or water.

I just got back today from my cruise on the Miracle. I tried to canopy tour and absolutely loved it. It was the highlight of the trip. I am a chicken and do not like heights or roller coaster, but I loved it. You don't see the bottom because of all the trees. I felt absolutely safe, they were very safety oriented. The tour was 104 pp. No lunch, just punch or water.

Thank you so much! My four boys and their dad so want for all of us to do this and I keep looking at pictures to see if I can handle the heights. I thought I could, but I feel much better now!!! :)

To those who did the Canopy Tour, I have found one at a place called Jaguar Paw, is this where you went? I e-mailed them and they said it is a one-hour drive. The Carnival description says it is 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive..... I am thinking there must be two different places that offer it. Anyone know? By the way, their price is $75.00 pp, includes lunch.

7/10/05 Elation

Shelly

Price sounds good, Shelly, esp. if lunch is included. However, you'll have to fight the crowd to get a tender off the boat. Before we went (June 19 cruise, Elation), I found no one on these boards who had used Jaguar Paw, so I just "sucked up" the additional money and went with Carnival ($98, no lunch). Their estimation of one hour doesn't include the tender time, I am guessing - even so, I can't imagine Belize has two canopy tours. Also, will Jaguar Paw meet you at the pier, or will you have to take a taxi? If so, you're adding money to the $75 now. My suggestion is to ask a few more questions and continue to inquire on these boards if anyone has used Jaguar Paw. Good luck,

Debbie

To those who did the Canopy Tour, I have found one at a place called Jaguar Paw, is this where you went? I e-mailed them and they said it is a one-hour drive. The Carnival description says it is 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive..... I am thinking there must be two different places that offer it. Anyone know? By the way, their price is $75.00 pp, includes lunch.

7/10/05 Elation

Shelly

The lost world canopy tour in Belize is described at http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/belize/canopy.html

we took it in April and had a great time

I just returned from this tour and it was great! Indiana627 was correct in the description of this adventure. I too always felt safe on these zip lines and the staff was real good! Was that the "Icon" in the secound photo? That guy was great. I wish I could have gone for another round of zipping but we had to get back to the ship. The last 8-9 miles is real rough!!!

I will be heading out to this adventure next Thursday from Carnival Miracle. Thanks for all the wonderful posts I can’t wait to get up there. I do have a question that I am hoping someone can answer (well actually 2). First, it seems as though most people are wearing jeans or long pants - is this advisable over shorts? Second, how difficult is it to bring a camera? I was thinking of bringing a disposable to this trip versus my digital.....any recommendations?

My teens wore shorts on this excursion and had no problems. Just be sure NOT to wear sandals. You can take a camera easily enough; you just can't use it while YOU are zipping, so be sure to secure your camera at those times. Also be sure to go FIRST so you can stand on the platform and photo or video (if your camera can do that) your party as they come in for a landing. I have some great pics and short videos. ENJOY!

Debbie

I'm looking forward to this excursion - its just sounds more adventurous than most! We're a family of four, all scouts, and wanting something beyond shopping (well, we still have to buy some rum cakes..) I've tandem sky-dived, so no fear there! Glad to hear they take safety seriously. Thanks for posting this information!!

We just returned from the Carnival Elation and visited Belize on 7/14/05. Four of us scheduled a Canopy Tour (Arial Trek Tour) through NCQ Tours with Nacho & Cynthia. They were great! There are 2 places to do this zip line excursion. As I understand it, the ships tours go to Big Hill Station, our tour was at Jaguar Paw resort. We met Nacho & Cynthia just outside the doors of the pier, they took us through town in a 15 passenger van with a/c, gave us some history, and pointed out some interesting points before we headed out of town. It began to rain some, and we passed all of the tour vans and buses going back to town because the Cave tubing tours got cancelled due to the river rising too much. We carried on and Nacho called Jaguar Paw to be sure we could continue and we did. We slathered on the bug spray and followed a guide along nice trails to a place where they suited us up with our gear, then 2 zip line guides took us up more trails and steps to the landings. He explained what we were to do, but as I was nervous about my 8 year old son understanding what he was saying, I missed some of it myself. Not to worry, one guide goes first, then the 2nd guide hooks up each person and reminds you what to do. It could not have been easier. It began to rain in the middle of the whole thing, but it was still really neat zip lining in the rain. It lasted for about 10 minutes (the rain) then the mosquitos came back out, time for more bug spray! After the last zip line, you rappel back to the ground. Then we walked back to the lobby of Jaguar Paw where we started and they have a little restaurant inside. We ate a lunch of their Chicken, Rice & Beans, and Cole Slaw, and a cold bottled soda. The cole slaw was excellent, as well as the rest. Then Nacho & Cynthia took us to see some of the other parts of the resort. The villas are all hidden throughout the trees, as is the swimming pool. After that, we headed back to town. Other posts have mentioned the very bumpy road, and we did have to travel that road to get there. The fee for then entire tour was $90.00 pp cash. We had a great day, great lunch and my son enjoyed the company of their 9 yr old grandson who went along for the ride that day.

If you are considering going on this, I highly recommend it. We would do it all over again.

Shelly

One more thing..... Jaguar Paw will let you book this directly through them, the $75 did include lunch and the ride to the resort, but they said they will pick you up at the Radisson Hotel, which is a few blocks from the pier. I did not want to walk to the Radisson, so we kept searching.

Tendering was no problem, you just have to ask (demand) at the Pursers desk for an early tender, or just get in line for a tender ticket early and wait your turn.

Shelly

• 2 weeks later...

My family and i are planning on doing this! I am very excited for it, except I am kinda disappointed that we won't see much wildlife. I thought for sure we would see some. But i guess the exhilirating ride will be cool too! Does anyone think that it's not work the money?

• 2 weeks later...

I did this tour and it was incredible. I can not emphasize enough how incredible the tour guides were. I was a little nervous, but the professionalism of the guides took that all away. Did they do the little dance at the end for you?

I was going to book this for my upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, but I have 2 little ones, so my family would have to separate and do different tours. I figure that my older ones and I could do it another time.

Archived