Warnemunde--Deutsche Bahn question

I had a nice relaxing day in Rostock all planned...and then my husband said, "You know, we really should go back to Berlin." :rolleyes: Right after Anni (Rostocker), our helpful CC expert, said farewell! So here's our situation...

We are a party of 6: two adults, four children ages 16, 14, 12, and 4. It is my understanding that the 4-year-old does not need to pay and does not need a ticket. (Correct?) So that leaves us with five needing tickets. We will be travelling on Tuesday, June 19. We would like to use the Quer-Durchs-Land ticket for a departure after 9:00. The DB website says that, for this special ticket, "children under 15 travel for free if they are accompanied by their parents or grandparents (max. 2 adults in this case)". Since we have three "adults", including the 16-year-old, the DB website will not let me add the 14- and 12-year-olds to the ticket.

The question: can I just buy the five-adult ticket for 66 Euros, to cover the five of us (and the 4-year-old who is free and doesn't need a ticket), even though two aren't adults?

Thanks! I'm thinking I should just wait to buy it when we get there, so I can be sure in person, but I'd rather have a plan ahead of time.

Hi!

I'm not to sure if it's worth doing the trip to Berlin in one day on the type of ticket you mention. As you are only able to use regional trains then, you'll have a three-hour ride from Warnemuende to Berlin and three hours back. The first train you'd be able to use is the 10.17 a.m. train. If you don't have an overnight stop so that you can travel back at a late hour, it's simply not worth it.

You should be able to book the ticket for 5 persons if you are willing to pay 42 Euros for the first person and 6 Euros each for the next 4. I'm not sure about the family price.

If I were you, I'd stay with the Rostock plan ( it's a beautiful city in the summer) or just have a relaxing day at the beach.

Thanks for your input. I agree that it would be a very short visit to Berlin. We have been there before, but the kids haven't. My husband just wants to show them a few things...Brandenburg Gate, wall remnants, museum at Checkpoint Charlie...and I think we'd have time for those. We certainly wouldn't be trying to "see it all".

Regarding the timetable...I'm coming up with a 9:07 RE train from Rostock, with one change, arriving in Berlin at 12:32. I figure we can purchase regular tickets from Warnemunde to Rostock, and then start the Quer-Durchs-Land (after 9am) at Rostock. Am I mistaken? If 10:17 is the earliest we can go, that certainly shortens our already-short time in Berlin. I appreciate your thoughts.

I get the same schedule - depart Rostock Hbf at 9:07 and arrive Berlin Hbf at 12:32, with a change in Schwerin. I'm no expert, but Anni told me that taking a taxi to Rostock Hbf from the ship would save time, so you might want to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking...I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it! :)

We're scheduled to dock at 7:30, so I think we'll have plenty of time to take the train from Warnemunde to Rostock to catch the 9:07 from Rostock.

Anyone else know about the Quer-Durchs-Land ticket for 3 "adults" and 2 kids?

There is also a ticket called "Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket"/"Länder-ticket" which cost 33 Euro for 5 persons. It's also only valid after 9 AM on weekdays and from 0 AM on weekends. Children under 5 are free.

Archived