PH3 or PH2

muddsmom

This will be our third cruise ever and we are in our mid 60's. Our last cruise was in 1998 on the Grand Princess and was not a good experience. We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary in 2014 and are in the planning stages for the May Aegean Gems cruise on the Riviera.

Since we have so much time to plan, I would like your advice regarding the differences for a PH3, Deck 10 vs PH2, Deck 11. We are leaning towards the PH2 aft, towards the bow, but wonder if it is worth the difference in price? We are well traveled, but not to cruising, so hoping to learn as much as we can from this experienced board, which I love.

From now on, I'll be reading everything written here.

Sharon

We did the November TA from Rome to Miami is a PH3, 10022. It was great. We were on deck 10, not too far from the laundry, and the forward elevator bank.

muddsmum,

Yes I guess the overhang does give shade for those who want it. The big thing for me and my wife was the restriction to views on a poet intensive cruise. At at least three of the ports the overhang restricted views for photos, both entering the port and leaving and while in port. On a TA with few ports this would have been less of a concern. We are now taking PH 3's for our next two cruises including a TA.

Barry

The overhang was particularly irksome when we were passing through the entrance to Kotor, Montenegro, through what is called Europe's southernmost "fjord".

001754.jpg

It would have been nice to see the top of the mountains...

Depends on how tall you are, this is what they mean:

061836.jpg

What a far cry from the Arcadia of the fifties. I once did an Auckland Honolulu of Oronsay (sp) in '57 and the cabins had no a/c.

The overhang was particularly irksome when we were passing through the entrance to Kotor, Montenegro, through what is called Europe's southernmost "fjord".

001754.jpg

It would have been nice to see the top of the mountains...

Point well taken after seeing this photo. I will not be taking a cabin on Deck 11. Thanks for the photo.

Sharon

What a far cry from the Arcadia of the fifties. I once did an Auckland Honolulu of Oronsay (sp) in '57 and the cabins had no a/c.

Spelling correct. The liner was completed in 1951 at Vickers Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness, England. Oh! the memories. My Barrow high school class was invited to the launch of Oronsay which was built for the Orient Line, later taken over by P&O.

JimandStan, thanks for posting the picture of Marina with the 4 chairs on the deck 7 PH3 aft staterooms. I thought Riviera was going to have the same furniture for those two aft cabins. Did they change their minds?

A friend sent me that photograph when Oceania purchased additional furniture for many outdoor areas throughout the ship (only the Marina was in service at that time).

Riviera was supposed to have been equipped in a similar fashion from day one.

In practice, however, the passengers who stay in those cabins have been requesting so many alternate variations of furniture, that each cruise is now "starting out" with the same basic Penthouse furnishings (two of the reclining wicker chairs and a small occasional table).

141102.jpg

Spelling correct. The liner was completed in 1951 at Vickers Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness, England. Oh! the memories. My Barrow high school class was invited to the launch of Oronsay which was built for the Orient Line, later taken over by P&O.

Lots of history with P&O. The term POSH was derived when P&O was plying between UK and India and A/C stood for 'another coke'. The desirable cabins were port outbound and starboard homebound thus escaping the afternoon sun.

I take it you are English.:)

Archived