I don't understand the square footage difference.

lola4795

We're currently booked in an inside cabin on the Pearl. The NCL website says that the square footage of an inside is 143sq. It says the square footage of an ocean view is 161. The floor plans look identical between these 2 types of rooms. The only difference that I can tell from the NCL pictures is that one room has a window and another room has a mirror where the window would be.

What am I not seeing? Where do they take away the square footage on the inside cabins?

NCL really does a poor job on their website showing the room layouts. They use the same drawing for almost every cabin category. If you go to their website and look at the cabins on the Sun for example all the floor plans for the balconies are the same.

198-221 sq feet

sun_modal_fp_balcony.jpg

Ocean view: 145-170 sq. ft.

sun_modal_fp_oceanview_port.jpg

Mini-suite (322 sq. ft.) and aft facing mini-suite (352 sq. ft.)

sun_modal_fp_minisuite.jpg

To make it even more confusing... NCL has 3 or 4 different Balcony categories but they all show the same 205sq ft on the Pearl yet they label them differently and charge different amount. We happen to have a non-family balcony and a 4-person FAMILY balcony with connecting interior doors. NCL "appears" to show the FAMILY room as taking more space on the deck plans but (of course) they show no difference on the descriptions

Like in real estate - it is all about location. The cabins that are in more desireable locations will bring a higher price.

As for the "floorplans" they really can not devote a lot of bandwidth to making scale drawings of each and every cabin type on each and every ship. If you have ever seen the shows where they go behind the scenes in the shipyard you would know that the cabins all are basic cookie cutter designs and are assembled in large sections and inserted in the hull.

Yes the balcony cabins include the balcony in the sq footage - in fact on the SE and SF catagory suites, the sq ft variance is all in the balcony- the room size is the same (there could be a slight difference in the SE's on deck 10 where the bridge juts out).

We're currently booked in an inside cabin on the Pearl. The NCL website says that the square footage of an inside is 143sq. It says the square footage of an ocean view is 161. The floor plans look identical between these 2 types of rooms. The only difference that I can tell from the NCL pictures is that one room has a window and another room has a mirror where the window would be.

What am I not seeing? Where do they take away the square footage on the inside cabins?

in general the bathrooms on the insides are smaller by a few sq feet

Like in real estate - it is all about location. The cabins that are in more desireable locations will bring a higher price.

As for the "floorplans" they really can not devote a lot of bandwidth to making scale drawings of each and every cabin type on each and every ship. If you have ever seen the shows where they go behind the scenes in the shipyard you would know that the cabins all are basic cookie cutter designs and are assembled in large sections and inserted in the hull.

Yes the balcony cabins include the balcony in the sq footage - in fact on the SE and SF catagory suites, the sq ft variance is all in the balcony- the room size is the same (there could be a slight difference in the SE's on deck 10 where the bridge juts out).

It would neat if they had a floor-plan of a sideways cabin.

I wish they would just say how many feet wide and long it is. Some people (me) are bad at math and cant figure it out. :p

Im going on the Jewel in a few days and Im taking a tape measure!

I stayed in an ov on the Jade and an inside on the Star. The difference I noted was in the length of the room. The inside it is VERY tight between the table at the end of the bed and the bed itself. I ended up crawling up from the base of the bed to get in and out. The other difference was I actually got a chair in the ov, and only a stool in the inside. I decided I don't like the insides on NCL. I might book one if it was inside or don't go, but not my favorite choice!

Archived