Are there ever children on Oceania?

Our family is looking for a Med. cruise in 2006. Right now Oceania has free air and 2 for 1 fares on certain sailings which is making it very attractive. However, we are taking our three children ages 17, 14, & 12. Are there many or any children on these cruises? Would we feel out of place and be treated with disdain? Comments from anyone who has been on Oceania?? Thank you.

What are your kids expecting from the cruise? There are no organized activites for kids on Oceania. They may be the only kids their age on the ship, even during summer months. Your family will be on your own to entertain yourself with activities like sunning on the deck, reading, sitting in the pool or jacuzzi, or walking around the jogging track (just like all the other passengers do). If your kids have been on RCL or HAL where there are teen rooms and structured activities they will not find that on Oceania. Do strangers comment to you on how well behaved your kids are? Would they enjoy an evening at the symphony or opera, or would that be boring to them? Do they want a vacation with the family, or do they want to go their separate ways once on the ship? If you have any doubts whatsoever, I would go with a different cruise line. If you do go, take plenty of activities with you (playstations, games, movies, whatever) because you will be on your own for entertainment. If the kids are left to their own devices and their entertainment bugs the other passengers, you will be met with disdain on any luxury cruise line.

Hi Learning the Ropes,

I have taken over 20 cruises -- some with children and grandchildren and, after cruising on the Regatta in 2003, I would NOT take my teenage grandchildren on the Oceania line. The kids who were on our ship going to the Baltic spent lots of time going up and down the elevator (since it was not warm enough to use the pool). Take them on RCI or Princess which has activities and wonderful entertainment for them.

Sheila

As Stebul says, it all depends on your kids. I took my 12 year old daughter on silversea and on windstar (kind of similar to oceania), and she had a great time, but, as an only child of older parents, she is used to being around adults, and has no problem keeping herself entertained. On NCL she found the kids club boring. Do your kids enjoy long dinners at fancy restaurants? If so they will be welcomed and have a good trip. On the other hand, kids who run around the decks and do cannonballs in the pool would probably not be welcome by most Oceania cruisers.

Thanks for the input folks.

We are taking a Med. cruise for the history, to experience the culture, to explore the sites, museums etc. It is something that interests us all and was planning it for early May to beat the heat and the crowds.

From what I imagine we wouldn't really be on the ship during the day (with the exception of one day at sea) and with such intensive ports of call would likely "crash" pretty early after dinner anyways. That being said, my two girls would be perfectly acceptable...however, in my heart of hearts my son might be a different story...(nature/nuture?!)

My TA hasn't got back to me with a final $ figure yet - am really going to have to think this over carefully. :cool:

What does your son think? As you say, there is so much to do on shore that we were pretty tired at night, and there is always pizza available. The suites have a huge selection of dvd's, I don't know if this is available for all rooms though.

Guest Jancruz

I agree..Oceania is not the cruise for teenagers..our grandchildren always like at least a couple of kis there age to "hang out with" at night and you will not find that on Oceania..

Jan:)

Last summer there was a family with three children [probably 10 thru 14 - I'm just guessing]. The parents were in a PH cabin next to ours and the children were in a PH cabin a bit more forward.

I found them absolutely charming, and I doubt that anyone looked at them with anything but enjoyment, HOWEVER, I doubt that the kids had the best time they could have had for those 2 weeks.

I's sure you will figure it out.

Archived