La Seyne Sur Mer vs. Toulon

Cruise Leprechaun

I tried seraching to get an answer to this but still get confused about this port so excuse me if the information is already been on these boards and Im just missing it. So apparently we will be docking in La Seyne Sur Mer in a couple weeks vs. Toulon. Its the French Riviera - thats all I know about these cities. For this day we had planned just the leisurely stroll off the boat to experience a french port city, Toulon, no specific excursions planned. I was reading a recent posting that said to get to Toulon you have to take a bus or cab and its maybe a half hour with traffic? Maybe Im not informed enough, but I am not hung up on seeing Toulon per se, is La Seyne Sur Mer a nice city to walk around in and maybe grab lunch somewhere or is it just a rough industrial port town - or no town at all? If we really didnt have anything specific we wanted to see is it worth it no tto ventur out to Toulon and just stay in La Seyne? Is there a town of La Seyne sur mer jsut in walking distance of the boat? Anyting natural to do there as well (ie beach, hiking trails etc.)? THanks.

We visited La S-s-M last October, intending to take the ferry over to Toulon however it was a Sunday and the ferries were infrequent and it was too long a wait till the next one so..............

we went a walk into La S-s-M, you can see it, follow the water's edge and it's quite a pleasant walk through a park (~20-30 min). There's not much there to be honest but there's a few bars for a drink and there was a flea market and a normal general market on when we were there so wandering round them and a drink in a bar took about an hour and a half and then we just wandered back to the ship.

There are ferries (8M) over to Toulon both from near the ship (look for a structure like a bus shelter) and from La S-s-M centre.

There are beaches to the south of La S-s-M, Les Sablettes, and to the south east of Toulon served by local buses and the petit train in Toulon. Neither were practical on a Sunday in October but may be depending on when you are there.

Bus route map: http://www.reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_plan/PlanReseau.pdf

Bus timetables: http://www.reseaumistral.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5&thm_id=1150&gpl_id=39

Bus 83 will take you to Les Sablettes beaches south of La S-s-M.

Bus/ferry home page: http://www.reseaumistral.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5

Hope this helps.

I tried seraching to get an answer to this but still get confused about this port so excuse me if the information is already been on these boards and Im just missing it. So apparently we will be docking in La Seyne Sur Mer in a couple weeks vs. Toulon. Its the French Riviera - thats all I know about these cities. For this day we had planned just the leisurely stroll off the boat to experience a french port city, Toulon, no specific excursions planned. I was reading a recent posting that said to get to Toulon you have to take a bus or cab and its maybe a half hour with traffic? Maybe Im not informed enough, but I am not hung up on seeing Toulon per se, is La Seyne Sur Mer a nice city to walk around in and maybe grab lunch somewhere or is it just a rough industrial port town - or no town at all? If we really didnt have anything specific we wanted to see is it worth it no tto ventur out to Toulon and just stay in La Seyne? Is there a town of La Seyne sur mer jsut in walking distance of the boat? Anyting natural to do there as well (ie beach, hiking trails etc.)? THanks.

LSSM is just a small town, but I thought it was quaint and enjoyed the open air market on the Sunday morning we were there. We went through a few churches -- bakeries were open. Toulon is bigger, but it wasn't so nice that you would regret not seeing it. This was my least fav port on our med cruise last year.

There are some great towns in the area to explore....Sanary-rur-Mer, Bandol, and Cassis (all on the water, Sanary is our favourite), or Le Castellet, a great hill town, maybe 10 Kms or so. But you'd need to rent a car (you could reach Sanary by bus...nice town, harbour, shops, beach right there).

Enjoy your day!

Archived