Sailing on RC Monarch of the Seas 6/4- 6/8 2012 Gay friendly? :)

Sailing on RC Monarch of the Seas out of Port Canaveral FL on June 4 2012. This will be my first cruise and first time to the Bahamas. If anyone has a tip they would like to share... that would be great! Also i've been hearing about the Friends Of Dorothy (FOD) meet and greets on some cruise ships. How do you know where these meet and greets are? If I were to ask a cruise staff about FOD meet and greets will they know what I'm talking about? Are the staff gay friendly on the cruise ships? I know not all of the Bahamas are excepting of gay people but I'm not worried about it at all.

Thanks

Sailing on RC Monarch of the Seas out of Port Canaveral FL on June 4 2012. This will be my first cruise and first time to the Bahamas. If anyone has a tip they would like to share... that would be great! Also i've been hearing about the Friends Of Dorothy (FOD) meet and greets on some cruise ships. How do you know where these meet and greets are? If I were to ask a cruise staff about FOD meet and greets will they know what I'm talking about? Are the staff gay friendly on the cruise ships? I know not all of the Bahamas are excepting of gay people but I'm not worried about it at all.

Thanks

We have met several gay couples thru our years in cruising with RCL. They were all wonderful and had a great time. You can post a note on a bulletin board for FOD. I see them there nearly every cruise. See you on board!!!

My wife and I have also met a number of gay couples on board, several of which cruise with RC a lot. We made friends with one couple from Dallas and we spoke with them frequently about the cruise. They have never said anything to us about being treated any differently than anyone else. As far as FOD, there is normally a community bulletin board near the guest services area which lists all the meetings for various groups.

Enjoy!

Pete

Thanks

Welcome to CruiseCritic. :) Monarch to the Bahamas sounds like a great first cruise. There are several great sources of information on this forum. You might want to go to the Ports of Call Board to check out tours/excursions in the Bahamas. Also, you can join your roll-call, and get to know some of the folks you'll be cruising with (go to the Roll-Call Board, click on RC, then Monarch -- scroll down and look for the date of your cruise). For some of your more specific questions, I included a link to CC's LGBT board. Someone over there should have answers for you. Have a great first cruise -- Monarch is an older ship, but she's beautiful! :cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

I watched the ROSIE All Aboard film about gays and les and their children and families on a cruise ship. When they arrived in the Bahamas they were met with hostility and folk telling them they were an abomination. VERY disturbing!!!!However, I have never seen such on my trips to the Bahamas.

I think the world view is changing in regard to gay people....It's sheik now to have gay friends......They'll entertain you and cook a great meal with the appropriate wine paring! We absolutely love our gay friends!

You'll have a fantastic time.

We cruise the Monarch often with some gay friends. They have never had a single negative word or look from any of the crew.....(wish I could say the same from some of the passengers).

The gay couples we know are like any other hetero-sexual couple....that there is a time and place for everything. It's your vacation...if other people have a problem with your being gay, (IMHO) that's their problem not yours.

FYI - Just to further indicate how open RCCL is to everyone....in September, the RCCL Freedom of the Seas is having a "Disco Queens on the High Seas" and a drag queen "Miss High Seas" pageant (evening gown/swim suit/talent). See:

http://www.*****.com/2012/04/23/royal-caribbeans-freedom-seas-will-host-drag-queen-theme-cruise

Thanks

Hey hey - we didn't have an issue on monarch at all... There was a brief second of "oh... Did you want the beds separate?" "no." ::: pause from stateroom attendant. ::: "oh. Ohhhhhh!" Haha and then that was it. No big deal at all. Have fun!

As someone said, just check the community bulletin board (located near the Guest Services Desk) for info about a possible FOD meeting. If there is no notice up there, add one yourself. I check the boards regularly because of being a Friend of Bill W. Sometimes, I see FOD meetings - sometimes I don't. Just suggest a time and a place for your get-together. Maybe at Happy Hour Time at one of the bars.

The staff is people friendly. They are there to make sure you have a great cruise.

By the way, one time when I was traveling with a girl friend, the room steward asked if we wanted our beds together or apart. I didn't hear any sort of "judgment" in his voice when he asked. He was just trying to make sure things were right for our cruise.

My partner of 28 years and I have sailed Monarch countless times and have never had any issues. The crew is the absolute best, IMHO.

Just relax and enjoy your first cruise :):):):). I'm sooooo jealous.

Archived