Using an iPad/tablet on PG and on ATN

markser

I recently bought a tablet which I plan to take on the cruise to go online occasionally. So far, I have never "bought" access, so I don't really know how that works.

If I understand correctly, I have to either pre-buy packages of minutes or pay by the minute, which is more expensive. How does PG monitor the usage?

I assume I can use the tablet in our cabin but is the signal strong enough to use on our balcony? Can I use it on deck anywhere or in any of the indoor public areas?

Is free WiFi available on ATN in Cattle Car? Oops. I mean Coach.

Also, is there a way to recharge a tablet on the ATN plane in Coach. We are on the late afternoon flight, and I could watch a lot of movies and play a lot of Angry Birds and Drop Words in seven hours -- if my battery holds out.

I recently bought a tablet which I plan to take on the cruise to go online occasionally. So far, I have never "bought" access, so I don't really know how that works.

If I understand correctly, I have to either pre-buy packages of minutes or pay by the minute, which is more expensive. How does PG monitor the usage?

I assume I can use the tablet in our cabin but is the signal strong enough to use on our balcony? Can I use it on deck anywhere or in any of the indoor public areas?

Is free WiFi available on ATN in Cattle Car? Oops. I mean Coach.

Also, is there a way to recharge a tablet on the ATN plane in Coach. We are on the late afternoon flight, and I could watch a lot of movies and play a lot of Angry Birds and Drop Words in seven hours -- if my battery holds out.

Hi Markser,

Regarding your questions for the m/s Paul Gauguin:

The ship is equipped with a state-of-the-art communication system. An Internet Center is centrally located with seven computers. In addition, guests can take advantage of WiFi Hot Spots in all public areas and in all suites/staterooms on Deck 7 from 701 to 726 and Deck 8.

Internet access is available for a nominal fee. After a one-time account activation fee of $3.95, applicable to all users at first login, guests may choose from the following three plans:

• Time Plan #1: $62.50 for 250 minutes ($0.25 per minute)
  • Time Plan #2: $35.00 for 100 minutes ($0.35 per minute)
  • Pay As You Go: $0.55 per minute

Please note that plan upgrades are not available, and no credit is given for unused minutes. The Internet Café is open 24 hours. Pay-as-you-go is available until 10:00 p.m. the last night of the cruise. Time Plan minutes can be used until 10:00 a.m. the following day.

We look forward to seeing you on board!

There are many places in the world including airports, hotels the PG, etc. that ask you to pay for internet usage. Usually the process is that when you turn on your computer/tablet and try to open the internet you get to a screen welcoming you to the airport, hotel, PG, etc. and you then need to identify yourself in some way (usually name and room/stateroom number) and choose which plan you want to purchase. Once you make the purchase with your credit card you have purchased "x" number of minutes of internet usage. As long as you are logged in the minutes tick away.

If you are sending emails you can save some of the internet time by writing your outgoing message in word or some other program and then opening the internet and your email program. Once logged in you can cut and paste your message in and if you do get any messages you can copy and paste them into a word program and then close the internet. In this manner you are minimizing the time that you are connected to the internet. If you don't do this and you get an email that takes you 5 minutes to read you have just used up 5 minutes of your time.

I will be in a cabin with WiFi. I assume I can use the minutes with both my tablet, which has WiFi, AND on one of the ship's computers.

The latter would be preferable at times because of the bigger screen. My tablet is only a 7-incher.

Is there any reason the ship's computers would be faster or slower than my tablet?

Do we get a notice each time we sign off of how many minutes are left?

I just got my tablet in April, so I'm still learning.

Archived