Questions on Tortola and Roseau, Dominica

SF

My parents and their friends will be visiting Roadtown, Tortola and Roseau, Dominica and they aren't into beaches so we're wondering what other sightseeing trips or tours they could check out. They like walking around the shops in town if they have any or hiring a taxi to take them on an island tour. Is that possible, is there anything special to see or are the beaches the main attraction? Any info on these two ports would be greatly helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I just read that Dominica has a malaria alert, is that for Roseau also or only certain parts of Dominica? Is anyone who's traveling there taking any precautions and if so what?

We were rerouted to Roseau last November from Grenada. I was disappointed until I learned my parents went to Dominica and it was their favorite island.

We booked the Rainforest Tram through Celebrity's shore excursions. It was absolutely amazing - even the ride up to the rainforest was stunning. Our guide was Channel (but pronounced like Chanel as in No. 5). On the way back they took us by some of the devastation from a hurricane several years ago - a school bus was completely crushed by an uprooted tree! Fortunately, no one was hurt...anyway, the rainforest was amazing and not too strenous (we're 45 & 50, so it wasn't an issue for us).

I don't know how old your parents are, but several people said they should have been warned about how slippery the trail was to Trafalgar Falls.

We never did go into town, just the vendors by the dock and out to the rainforest.

Julie

Archived