Can you see bears without flying?

sbt518

I was in Hyder last year. It is a great little place and we went there simply because it was such a funky place to go to. Whenever people say that you can not drive to any coastal areas in southern AK, I remind them of Hyder. Their usual comment is "where???" as most people have never heard of Hyder.

Unfortunately, we got there a little before the salmon run peaked so we did not see too many bears. Fortunately, we had already visited Anan so we got out bears.

DON

I was really hoping to get down there from Juneau this summer. I was in contact with the local hotel and was planning on a late July or early August drive there, but life happened. Family needs me up in Alaska a little earlier this year, probably way to early for the salmon run.

I'm hoping to make it to Hyder next year! It does look like a cool little place!

I agree it will depend on what time of year you go. Right now the bears are eating grass and assorted vegetation near the roadway on the road from Skagway up to Emerald Lake.

We just got back on Friday and saw 4 black bears right along the road way on our trip. A local guy turned us on to a place to go see a grizzly also.

We also just returned, and we drove from Skagway to Emerald Lake. We had great wildlife sightings, not just bears. Our first bear was right after we crossed over the border station of Fraser. We saw Mountain Goats and Dall Sheep, and on the way out of Carcross heading back we saw a Grizzly. I knew that the chance of seeing bears would be good in May, and this why we chose to drive, as we can't stop on the train if we see something. The other reason is the same as yours...husband has a tough time flying, and is medicated when we fly commercial! :p

If you do drive, we got a great lunch from Lemon Rose Bakery, just down the street from the museum on Broadway.

Enjoy the beauty! We were in awe the entire time!

Archived