Yet another insurance question

Hoping someone can help me. Have been checking insuremytrip.com, just booked our cruise yesterday. We are planning on the 4 nght. DCL cruise and 3 nights in the disney parks. When pricing out total cost of vacation, should I also include the airfare, park tickets, and room deposit? Would these things then be covered if I do include them?

TIA

I suggest any questions as to what is or is not covered by an insurance policy be done via e-mail or fax. That way you have written confirmation of what the agent said just in case you need to file a claim.

The times I have asked questions, I've asked the agent where in the policy it confirms the answers. That way I really knew I was covered. A couple times it was not in the policy so even though the agent told me something, I didn't count on it being right. But at least I could make decisions on that basis.

Unfortunately it's too easy for the agent to misunderstand a question or me to misunderstand a verbal answer. Having to put my question in writing makes me really think about what I want to know. And if the written answer doesn't fit the question, then I know I need to try again.

Bottom line is that an insurance policy is a legal document. It's highly unlikely the agency will pay for something not covered in their written policy. An e-mail should give me a better chance of payment although even that probably would not be honored if the policy doesn't cover the situation or states otherwise. Saying an agent told me so on the telephone would get me nothing!

Since the premium is based on your trip cost, I try to avoid including things that I can cancel without penalty. Most hotel rooms allow you to cancel up to the day of arrival without penalty. Normally, the only thing I include is my cruise fare and airfare. If you are prepaying park tickets and they are non-refundable and cannot be used at a future date, then I would certainly include them. Sometimes I don't even include the air if it's going to put us into the next higher priced premium category, because most airlines allow you to cancel and for a fee, use the tickets within a year.

Since the premium is based on your trip cost, I try to avoid including things that I can cancel without penalty. Most hotel rooms allow you to cancel up to the day of arrival without penalty. Normally, the only thing I include is my cruise fare and airfare. If you are prepaying park tickets and they are non-refundable and cannot be used at a future date, then I would certainly include them. Sometimes I don't even include the air if it's going to put us into the next higher priced premium category, because most airlines allow you to cancel and for a fee, use the tickets within a year.

I am going to take the contrarian view on this answer. Most hotel rooms booked under any discount now have a cancellation penalty. Definitely include any hotel rooms booked through Priceline (or buy the Priceline insurance, but it is hard to collect on). Also, most of the booking agencies (Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) require payment in advance.

Air cancellation fees are about $100.00 per ticket. These fees are covered by most trip insurance. As most domestic tickets can be purchased for less than $300.00, where are you going to use that $200.00 credit, without digging into your own pocket for the difference? Make sure your air tickets are included.

Frequent Flyer (award miles) tickets WILL NOT be covered, under any circumstances. The insurance companies value them at $00.00. Almost lost 350,000 miles on first class tickets to Asia, due to Princess cruise cancellation in 2003. Insurance didn't pay, but Princess stepped up to the plate and got my miles reinstated.

I include EVERYTHING that is nonrefundable in the insurance. Thank goodness I included my bear viewing trip 4 years ago. The policy from the bear viewing company was "no refunds, but if weather causes cancellation of your flight (to the Katmai), you can rebook within one year at no fee". If I had not had the insurance and had NOT been able to make it back to Alaska within 1 year (and who knows what a year brings), I would have been out $2000.00. The increase in insurance premium is a small price to pay for what could have been very expensive non-vacation.

Archived