Drinking age on islands?

Michaline

I'll be going to San Juan, St. Thomas & St. Maarten for the 12/17 Triumph cruise and I'll be 20 at that time. I researched that the drinking age on those islands is 18, although I read a few times that in San Juan, some bars won't let you drink unless you're 21. Just seeing if anyone knew anything about this.

Also, the drinking age on our ship is 21, which sucks for me. Just wondering if there are some sort of wristbands everyone wears for certain age groups (21 and over having a certain color), and if they always ID. Maybe I'll be able to have our adult travelers buy me a few drinks, but don't want to get busted :)

Michaline

under 21 on Carnival-- your card will have a punch on it to let a server know you are under 21. ( since you are traveling with adult members.. May I suggest buying drink coupons to be delivered to your adult family member at dinner--who turns them over to you. Using these coupons you wont be questoned on your age as you wont be using the sign and sail card. These coupons sell on carnivals web page for 4 for 20 bucks and are worth the money if you buy the frozen foo-foo drinks or the bigger drinks of the day.

Maybe I'll be able to have our adult travelers buy me a few drinks, but don't want to get busted :)

Michaline

Not only would you get "busted", but the adult may as well. It is illegal for an adult to purchase drinks for minors and I would think the cruise line would not think highly of it, even when using "drink coupons".

While drinking alcohol is done by many adults (including me:D ) it's not all that it's cracked up to be. If you insist, have a drink where you can legally, stick with non-alcoholic drinks when you can't, and enjoy your cruise:)

I have purchased my kids drinks onboard cruises many times. Also gave them the drink coupons so they can be used at the shows when I am not around. I was never arrested or "busted"- Please also let me add that my boys are very responsible or I would not have done that.

Bartenders on the Carnival ships do frequently ask for your sign and sail cards when using drink coupons. You only have another year to go. Why mess up your life by doing something illegal. Don't know what the penalties would be on the ship if you're caught. It wouldn't surprise me if it could cost you the rest of the cruise with having to find your own way home........Karen

is it an option to bring a bottle of something in your checked luggage? that way you could at least "spice-up" whatever non-alcoholic mixers you buy from the ship.

eh, just all-the-more reason to book yourself another cruise right after your 21st birthday! :D

I am amazed by the number of, otherwise, mature adults who want to help someone under 21 sneak booze even tho it is illegal. There are ways to change laws, breaking them is not one of them.

There is no under-age drinking "law" at sea, they could set the age to anything they want to and since the US has a 21 age, the cruise lines put it at that as well.

Much to the consternation of citizens of other countries who allow drinking at an earlier age.

It is the same "law" as tuxes on formal nights and bringing on your own booze, i.e a rule that the ships do or do not enforce at their pleasure.

Cheers,

Peter

There is no under-age drinking "law" at sea, they could set the age to anything they want to and since the US has a 21 age, the cruise lines put it at that as well.

Peter

That's why Carnival and RCI have different "laws". It's a cruise ship ruling.

Anyone have any idea of the drinking age in St Lucia and Barbados? The OP stated that San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten is 18, is this correct? For the OP, where did you find the information? I've searched, but come up blank.

Thanks for the links, that was really helpful.

The reason I'm interested is that we have a cruise on Adventure out of San Juan and it is for our grandsons graduation. We timed it so that he could have a drink on RCI, but we were unsure o the laws on the islands. Thanks for the information.

NCL also allows drinking between 18 and 21 with parental permission.

In response to the original question, I first cruised when I was 19, and my experience was that enforcement of the "drinking age" was dependent on who it was. I would definitely either bring a bottle (or bring one on from one of the ports) and spike up your drinks. We also made friends with a few bartenders and they would serve us and charge us for smoothies on our bill (because they can't charge an alcoholic drink to your account) Or if the older people you're with are cool and buy you drinks, no one should ever give you a problem.

And I think Peter was right and it is not really "illegal," just easier for the cruise lines.

Archived