Questions About Carnival Liberty in Europe

While we've been to England, Ireland, and Scotland, we have never cruised in Europe and, I have several questions and maybe some of you out there have the answers.

1) We would like to bring our own liquor but, we have no idea how stiff or relaxed Italian customs and/or Carnival will be about us bringing our own wine aboard. Will it be allowed? Should we attempt to sneak it in?

2) We booked cruise only but, are taking transfers from the ship to the airport on our return. I am attempting to fill out our Fun Pass but, they don't have Rome (FCO) listed anywhere. Do I just put down our home airport (San Francisco) twice??

3) We're staying in Rome for several days prior to the cruise. Anybody know what time they are going to start boarding? Our hotel check out time is 11AM and, I'm told it takes about an hour to get from the city center of Rome to the cruise port.

4) We've never sailed on a Carnival ship that had an alternative restaurant. At the advice of the folks on the board we want to book as soon as we board. Do we go right to the restaurant or will there be a sign up area in the main lobby?

5) I keep reading that John Heald is going to be our cruise director. I'm looking forward to having him as CD but, what makes him "outstanding". I've only sailed Carnival twice - once with Greg Kneale as CD and the other time Corey ??? (can't remember his last name but he had trained parrots).

6) Does anyone know if the ship will be able to exchange US dollars for Euros or Euro's for US dollars?

Any information you can provide on any of these quesitons will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

The Liberty is Carnival's first foray into the Med, so most of your ?? are not answerable at this time. Liberty's maiden voyage will be 20 July, check back after that (unless you are on that sailing and you get let us all know the answers).

• 4 weeks later...

Reading this thread brings back fond memories of our cruise on the Imagination back in October of '96. It was our first time on Carnival and John Heald was the CD. He was so funny!!! I still laugh when I recall some of his jokes and interactions with passengers. My son was six years old at the time and thought that John was the best. I wish him well and hope that he continues to sail many more years. He has the gift of making people laugh.

I am also going into Rome early and will be sailing July 15. We are also flying out of California to FCO.

What price did you find on airfare?

What cruise sailing did you book?

2) We also booked cruise only and I am arranging transportation from the cruise dock to FCO. Anybody find good transportation other than Carnivals transfers? They are asking $65 per person for there transfers. My hotel said they can arrange transfers for 50 EURO for up to 4 people.

4) The alternative restaurant is GREAT. I have eaten there on two different cruises and enjoyed them both. Yes, do book as soon as yoou board and go directly to the restaurant. However on the last cuise I sailed the restaurnt had a table set up in the main lobby to take reservation.

Cruise 356 - we booked Alitalia back in February - we're flying business class so don't gag at the price $2070 per person (non-stop from JFK to Rome - we'll be in NYC visiting my family before we leave) and we're on the July 20th sailing. We have friends joining us but, they decided to fly KLM and have 1 stop/change of planes and their cost for coach was $974.88 per peson from JFK to Rome. As for transfers, we're staying in Rome for 3 nights prior to the cruise so our transfers have been arranged with a private limousine company- don't have it with me at the moment but it's a bit pricey for what it is...however we have a total of 7 people being transfered, so, I'm sure that is factored into our cost. Thanks for the alternative restauarant info!

GSB - didn't realize they were doing a couple of cruises to no-where, we probably would have booked one or both of them! Oh well, our loss!

You shouldn't have to rush to reserve the restaurant. We try to look at the dinner menus and pick the night that has none of our favorites. I notice the price has recently gone from $25 to $30. Still worth it.

Booze,wine shouldn't be a problem--wrap it and stick it in your packed luggage. Never had a problem.

The Liberty will be our 15th CCL cruise, and somehow we've never had John Heald as the CD--Looking forward to him. I think we'll see a lot of the "best" CCL has to offer on the Liberty.

We sailed on the Carnival Liberty in 2002 on the Transatlantic cruise. John Heald was the CD and he is by far the best we have had (we have cruised 6 times). He made the cruise special by organising bands to play at every port; for example in Scotland (Greenock) he organised Scottish pipers. The entertainment was fantastic all the way and John is indeed VERY funny. You are in for the most amazing cruise.

As for the alternative restaurant you can book on board. Go as soon as you have embarked (we book at the restaurant). Definitely book for a sea day so that you are nice and relaxed and not tired after a busy days touring.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We sailed on the Carnival Liberty in 2002 on the Transatlantic cruise. John Heald was the CD and he is by far the best we have had (we have cruised 6 times). He made the cruise special by organising bands to play at every port; for example in Scotland (Greenock) he organised Scottish pipers. The entertainment was fantastic all the way and John is indeed VERY funny. You are in for the most amazing cruise.

As for the alternative restaurant you can book on board. Go as soon as you have embarked (we book at the restaurant). Definitely book for a sea day so that you are nice and relaxed and not tired after a busy days touring.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hey Mercury, it is Monday morning so I will give you a do over - You did not sail on the Carnival Liberty in 2002 (they haven't finished building it) :D

you out there have the answers.

1) We would like to bring our own liquor but, we have no idea how stiff or relaxed Italian customs and/or Carnival will be about us bringing our own wine aboard. Will it be allowed? Should we attempt to sneak it in?

You can probably take with you 1 bottle each that does not have to be hidden. We've brought champagne b4 and had no problem. They just don't want a liquor store aboard from you. As long as it is not in xcess, you should be ok.

2) We booked cruise only but, are taking transfers from the ship to the airport on our return. I am attempting to fill out our Fun Pass but, they don't have Rome (FCO) listed anywhere. Do I just put down our home airport (San Francisco) twice??

3) We're staying in Rome for several days prior to the cruise. Anybody know what time they are going to start boarding? Our hotel check out time is 11AM and, I'm told it takes about an hour to get from the city center of Rome to the cruise port.

They probably will board about 1:00pm..Maybe earlier. I wouldn't wait to board as there are lots of people who will be boarding later on.

4) We've never sailed on a Carnival ship that had an alternative restaurant. At the advice of the folks on the board we want to book as soon as we board. Do we go right to the restaurant or will there be a sign up area in the main lobby?

They have been in the main lobby with a display. You can also book upstairs, but upon boarding, I don't think anyone will be upstairs as yet.

5) I keep reading that John Heald is going to be our cruise director. I'm looking forward to having him as CD but, what makes him "outstanding". I've only sailed Carnival twice - once with Greg Kneale as CD and the other time Corey ??? (can't remember his last name but he had trained parrots).

6) Does anyone know if the ship will be able to exchange US dollars for Euros or Euro's for US dollars?

I would venture a good guess and say that you would be able to exchange. We were on other ships and had no problem--the rate is not as good. Have a great time--we're on the inaugural -July 20 and expect "glitches"--just roll with it.....

Any information you can provide on any of these quesitons will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

big duck / dayton - thanks! It is the Carnival LEGEND we sailed on TA in 2002! I am wanting to do the Carnival Liberty TA in April 2006. (Thanks for blaming it on Monday morning - rough weekend for sure)!

big duck / dayton - thanks! It is the Carnival LEGEND we sailed on TA in 2002! I am wanting to do the Carnival Liberty TA in April 2006. (Thanks for blaming it on Monday morning - rough weekend for sure)!

Mercury

You should book it!! :)

Archived