St. John with an 8 year old.

I would recommend the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square which is a couple minutes walk from the ship but very close. Lots of things for the little one to do. You may want to take the 8 year old to the city market as well. The Reversing Falls Jet Boats offers a sightseeing tour which is one hour in total which may also be of interest.

We took our 3 1/2 year old on a New England cruise a few years ago. We had a motorcoach tour that saw the following:

Carleton Martello Tower was a neat stop. It was built to lookout for a land attack from the USA (so we were told). I'm not sure if that is correct or not. We climbed a few stairs and entered. It was set up with bunks, a dining area, etc. In the lower level, it had an area with windows for firing from, plus a storage area possibly for powder.

We stopped at Reversing Falls. Basically it's a river and when the tide comes in, then the water stops flowing and is calm for about 20 minutes and then the tide pushes the water back upstream. However, we were not there long enough to see this. We took some photos. It was still a nice stop, but we did not see the water change directions.

The final stop was at a food market. It was a neat building. Lots of fresh fruit & such there. Also a few hand made items. We did not buy anything here.

We are going again in October and our son is now 7. We signed up for the St Andrews by the Sea tour. I can't really speak to that tour yet since we haven't been yet.

The thing we loved about New England/Canada is all the seafood. We got fish and chips at every stop. Loved the historical places in Boston. Enjoyed the maritime museum in Halifax. Looking forward to doing a lot of different tours this go around.

Our kiddo loves cruising. We've only done RCCL. He likes the evening activities in Adventure Ocean. He picked a cruise this fall over a choice to go to Disneyworld.

Have fun on your trip!!

Thinking of taking a cruise to Canada in July on the Glory with my 8 year old nephew to introduce him to cruising. What is there to do in Saint John? I've honestly never thought of sailing to Canada. Thanks for any help!

Hi there,

Check this out while you are here!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1651423

Enjoy your stay!

Theadore tugboat http://www.mtcw.ca/theodoretugboat/

Or Citadel Hill

I took our youngest son - then right around 8 - on Theodore. He loved it. They give you a sheet with Theodore and all of his friends to spot in the Big Harbour, and when we went the captain let all the kids take turns sitting in the captain's chair on the bridge. Son is 12 now, but he still talks about that trip.:cool:

Archived