Would it be worth it?

We will have Ocho Rios, Jamaica as one of our cruise ports while on freedom.

We found an all inclusive resort you can do for a day as part of jamaica for a day.

We are in port from 7:30 - 2:30 but I don't think you get picked up until 9:30. I believe it is something like 12 minutes away from port by cab.

It is completely all inclusive for drinks and food, beach and some sports.

For $79 with transportation included do you think it is worth it?

Opinions please??

Thanks,

honestly if you're beach people, just walk to the beach you can see from the ship. Its like $2 USD to get on the beach and you can come and go as you please. Directly across from the entrance (across the car park) is a grocery store where you can buy drinks and snacks. or you can pay more and have one of the people working on the beach run and get it for you.

if its $79 pp, I'd question it, since $!60 seems like a lot to me, but we like to do the beaches on our own. one of the all inclusive you can see from the ship as well, same beach as the public beach, just more amenities.

Was wondering if by going there I would miss much in Ocho Rios?

My other option was a Beach excursion with finger food.

??

I was there years ago. Hope it's better now. My wonderful memories include the drunks sleeping on the sidewalk. And the one legged man on crutches, dirty, old dreadlocks to the waist, singing the same song over and over off key, waiting for tips. We were at his mercy because we were a small group waiting for our ride back to the ship.

honestly if you're beach people, just walk to the beach you can see from the ship. Its like $2 USD to get on the beach and you can come and go as you please. Directly across from the entrance (across the car park) is a grocery store where you can buy drinks and snacks. or you can pay more and have one of the people working on the beach run and get it for you.

if its $79 pp, I'd question it, since $!60 seems like a lot to me, but we like to do the beaches on our own. one of the all inclusive you can see from the ship as well, same beach as the public beach, just more amenities.

I agree with that...thats why i asked if it was the price for 2 people.

160 bucks for 4 hours is kinda pricey.

From my personal experience, I would definitely book something through a reputable tour company. I think Jamaica is the only port I would really recommend booking something ahead of time. Usually we just find someone at the port and book through them on the spot, but that didn't work out well in Ocho Rios for us. We didn't in Ocho Rios and long, bitter story short, it didn't go well. Although I feel like $80 per person for a few hours is a lot of money, it's up to you.

I think if you like the water sports it maybe would be worth it. We've been to Sandals in Ocho Rios and when we were on a cruise we stopped there too. We went on a "beach excursion", that was pretty close to the ship. I wouldn't do that again! I'm not a fan of paying for food when your meals are paid for on the ship. JMO. I'd do a tour like Dunn's River Falls.

If its Jewel Dunns River Falls, we did this early last month. It is the only All-inclusive we would think about going to for a week. The pool is really cool several swim-up bars and the beach is beautiful. Food was very good. Picked up at 8:30 ship time which is 9:30 local time. We would do it again.

Keith

Jamacia is NOT our favorite port. I would not walk anywhere outside the port area in Ocho Rios. There is a Margaritaville just outside the port that has really gone down hill over the last several years. Going on an ship sponsored excursion or a reputable excursion booked prior to arriving in Jamacia is the way to go.

Keith

If I'm going to do an excursion, I'm going to do something that I can't do in the U.S. (like go to a beach).

In Ocho Rios, I would recommend doing a tour such as the one we did with Peat Taylor to Dunn River Falls and tubing on the White River. It's was 3 or so hours of fun water activity for around $50.

If you read the Ports of Call forum for Jamaica, you will get lots of info about good tour guides in Ocho Rios. (Peat Taylor is just one who is recommended.)

We went to Jewel Dunns Resort in January. Having been to Jamaica before, I knew it wasn't a place where one can just walk around without being harassed big time! We loved the resort, but we like a nice beach! We had pizza for lunch, it was fine and the drinks were delicious :)

If we ever go back there, we will go there again.

I think the "resort" you are speaking of is Sunset ? the big yellow building right by the port?? I have read really mixed reviews of that place...it is not real great I don't think, might be worth it if you had a long day in port and liked to drink a lot

the "finger foods' I would guess is the Bamboo Beach right?? that also gets kind poor reviews....

these are pricey for your short time in port

You could >>> use the beach for a few bucks that is right by Margaritaville..

hang out at Margaritaville and the Island shops ...use Marg pool etc..

you could also do an excursion...I didn't like Dunn River Falls but some do

They have a tram up to a bobsled with a pool and restaurant that has gotten some decent reviews

You could do a dolphin encounter or swim thru the ship

I have hired a van right at the port for about 15 bucks each and was driven all around,fern gully, lookouts..."flea markets", some garden place...then a little village....we had parrots and free rum punches...a little bar with a dirt floor...a "rasta" guy we were dancing and singing with...we went somewhere and had jerk and then back to more shop and back to port

It was fine

I would also think about your port time....you have to board 1/2 hour before the ship sails so remember that

Have fun...be careful in Jamaica but it is a fun place. Check the port boards for recent reviews and ideas.

Archived