RCCL - What is the norm and/or acceptable for casual & smart-casual evenings on RCI?

I have trouble distinguuishing the two simply by reading the guidelines on the RCI website. From what I can gather from that, on casual evenings, sundresses or skirts and tops and dress pants (say, something worn to the office or something) would be ok and for men, a collarded shirt with slacks. For smart casual, a cocktail dress (short) or fancier sundress??? and for men - a shirt a tie, no jacket??? Then on formal nights, women should wear fancier cocktail dresses or evening gowns and men, the full suit??? It's just not clear to me.

Can you tell me what is acceptable and what is actually worn by most who adhere to the guidelines properly on the ship?

Thanks!

I have trouble distinguuishing the two simply by reading the guidelines on the RCI website. From what I can gather from that, on casual evenings, sundresses or skirts and tops and dress pants (say, something worn to the office or something) would be ok and for men, a collarded shirt with slacks. For smart casual, a cocktail dress (short) or fancier sundress??? and for men - a shirt a tie, no jacket??? Then on formal nights, women should wear fancier cocktail dresses or evening gowns and men, the full suit??? It's just not clear to me.

Can you tell me what is acceptable and what is actually worn by most who adhere to the guidelines properly on the ship?

Thanks!

I think you have it about right. I thought it was clear in the other thread about jeans too. What is actually worn by other passengers should not help you make the decision. Follow the suggested attire. Not all do this, and it's your choice if you don't, but I think you are trying to ask the question, until you get the answer YOU want. (about jeans)

:) Well thanks for the response. Actually, the reason I asked here is because I thought the other thread got way off track (or my question got answered and I moved on to wondering the difference between casual and smart casual but everyone got so stuck in the debate about jeans). I still wanted some clarity about what the difference is between casual and smart casual.

I asked about jeans and got an answer that I am fine with. Whatever the answer was I would have been fine with it. The reason I asked was so that I would know what was ok and be able to follow the guidelines without offending anyone or sticking out like a sore thumb because I wasn't clear. Once it was answered, I was happy and moved on (although the actual debate got interesting about whether jeans are jeans and are never dressy and whether designer jeans are any different than the non-designer ones).

Anyway, if I have it about right then great, but it still seems that casual and smart casual is pretty close to the same. Why even have a casual night if it's almost the same clothing as smart casual that is allowed (not complaining - just wondering)? It might be better if they asked for smart casual in the evenings (and specify whether that applies to everywhere on the ship after a certain hour or just in the dining room) as a rule and then have a few formal nights.

Another thing I wonder about is if the pools are open 24/7, but you are supposed to stay dressy all night, is it ok to go swimming and put on shorts and a t-shirt to go up to the pool deck??

Honestly, I am not trying to be snarky or asking the same question 'til I get the answer I want (which is something I might do in an argument with my fiance - ha ha ha - but am not doing now). I just want to know what the difference is and what is really acceptable.

And when you say that what is worn by other passengers should not help me decide on what to wear, that is true, to an extent. And I am not one to be very influencable. But what I mean when asking what is done and not done is that I want to find out so that I can be respectful to the cruiseline's guidelines, the same way most others do.

Actually on RCCL there is not any difference with casual and smart casual. i wear basically the same things i would wear to work (business casual), except for formal. Formal definately wear a gown. you can basically wear anything but jeans, even though some do. you dont have to stay dressed up all night. lots of people change as soon as dinner is over. its not uncommon to wear jeans to the shows on formal night. the pools ar open 24/7 (Mariner last October was).

It may depend on exactly which ship you are on. The last two cruises I took on the Rhapsody had no smart-casual night. This was a 7 night cruise and according to RCI's website should have been a smart-casual night, two formal nights with the rest casual. However, in reality there were two formal nights and the rest were casual based upon the daily compass.

The first cruise I was on was a 10 night cruise on the Splendor and it did have two smart casual nights. Most women wore cocktail dresses, fancy pantsuits etc.

I can't really recall what people were wearing for the most part. I was way too busy enjoying myself and having fun. I know other than when you walk into the dining room you really only see people from the waist up so I don't have a clue what most people had on as far as bottoms go.

I am on AOS in August!!! Thanks so much for the clear answers! Now I am good and have a good idea of what is acceptable and what the real guidelines are (in my head smart casual and casual are one and the same and I will dress accordingly).

Thanks again!!!

The main thing is to wear the tighter clothes at the beginning. Some cruises I have gained and some I haven't and some I have a sunburn and some I haven't but I am always happy to have my second formal not fit quite as tightly.

Ahhhh! Gaining weight is one thing that I am afraid of on the cruise. I love good food so much but I do have to wear my bikini for another week after the cruise while we stay in San Juan!!

On Serenade in Feb., there were 2 smart casual nights. And every night in the alternative restaurants were smart casual (and enforced).

I wore nice dresses and silky wrap skirts with pretty tops. For casual night, I wore dressy black slacks and pretty tops.

I like to dress up and look feminine so I always dress for dinner. I live in FL and dress the same here and, unfortunately, I am in the minority.

Archived