Best fins

HelliCap

Does anyone have a perfered style of fin? We are snorkle only. DW has a foot thing she will have to have a strap rather than a shoe style. Also, it woul be nice if she could get two different sizes; can stores mix and match sizes?

no replies . . .

I'm not really surprised

what is a 'good' fin is VERY subjective. For one thing they need to fit like GOOD shoes. Some want small ones for traveling (easy to pack) some want LONG ones because they potentially provide the most power....

With confidence I'll say this: look in your local yellow pages and find a dive shop ... a GOOD dive shop will discuss your wants and needs and may even have a pool for test drives.

My fins are 40 years old tho (US Divers Rockets) so maybe you should not trust me . . .

(today most 'strap' fins are intended to be used with dive boots . . . they are VERY VERY uncomfortable in the water w/out the boots...)

no replies . . .

I'm not really surprised

what is a 'good' fin is VERY subjective. For one thing they need to fit like GOOD shoes. Some want small ones for traveling (easy to pack) some want LONG ones because they potentially provide the most power....

With confidence I'll say this: look in your local yellow pages and find a dive shop ... a GOOD dive shop will discuss your wants and needs and may even have a pool for test drives.

My fins are 40 years old tho (US Divers Rockets) so maybe you should not trust me . . .

(today most 'strap' fins are intended to be used with dive boots . . . they are VERY VERY uncomfortable in the water w/out the boots...)

We plan on getting the water socks at the evry least. DW's left foot is a completly different size than her right, which is why the straps seemed to be the best option. so what is the deal with fins with a split up the middle?

have a friend with a similar issue, not a diver tho - I recall her saying Nordstrom would sell shoes in different size for the pair making her a customer for life! IDEA - if you look around long enough you migt find a shop replacing rental gear that would be willing to sell an unmatched pair . . .

What's the deal with the split? IMO the current design dujour to try and sep' you from more of your money.

A long, wide, stiff fin is very difficult to move thru the water and is only really usable by a strong swimmer. If one still wants a long fin (looks?) then they can go to a very 'soft' or flexable fin ... splitting the surface would appear to be a way of achieving this too.

You can check out a ton of fins here http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_954/Fins/956.html

FWIIW ScupaPro has been selling their JetFin virtually unchanged since 1965 - I bought what is now my wife's set in the mid 70's. Some folks think they are a very good fin..

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SCPFJ.html?&&

Try going to http://scubadiving.com

Click on "GEAR" for reviews.

Also try going to http://scubaboard.com

Click on "Forums" and lurk the appropriate sections.

Split fin versus paddle fins is a personal choice with some holding that the split fins give better propulsion with less effort and paddle fins give better manueverability. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Generally speaking pocket fins (with the strap) are more expensive and dive boots are recommended to use with them.

Do your research to familiarize yourself with the basics and find a dive shop that will let you test them in an in-house pool before you buy.

has a foot thing she will have to have a strap rather than a shoe style

I won't wear shoe fins. We do a lot of snorkeling on our own and often the entry can be very rocky where you would want some kind of foot protection. So easy to just wear dive booties to the water and then slip on a fin, instead of going barefoot with the footed style. Just something to think about. :)

http://www.leisurepro.com/Content/ScubaFins.html

Let's Get Started

While the idea of fins is simple, the fin designs and options available to water-lovers are quite vast. When evaluating which fins will best meet your needs, keep the following questions in mind:

◦What sport do I plan on participating in-swimming/snorkeling, scuba diving, or free diving?

◦What temperature of water will I be exposed to?

◦Is propulsion important to me?

I wear split fins wen I am diving. They are more comfortable to me. I found that I had less leg fatigue as you use a different leg kick compared to solid fins. They are a bit harder to hold position if you are a photographer.

I have both solid and split fins. If I am going snorkeling, I use solid fins. All are straps.

I wear split fins wen I am diving. They are more comfortable to me. I found that I had less leg fatigue as you use a different leg kick compared to solid fins. They are a bit harder to hold position if you are a photographer.

I have both solid and split fins. If I am going snorkeling, I use solid fins. All are straps.

not intended as confrontation but doesn't all this translate to the split making the fin softer and providing less thrust?

not intended as confrontation but doesn't all this translate to the split making the fin softer and providing less thrust?

You would think so, but according to a majority of reviews and talking to people I know personally who use split fins, the spit fins appear to give more thrust. I can't tell any real difference other than the split fins do seem to require less effort. Not as easy to to maneuver though.

Thanks for the replys. We will almost exclusivly be snorkling, mostly in caribbean waters. We might go in one of the rivers here in TX just for kicks but not often. I will be dragging her to a dive shop to check out styles and get reccomendations based on their observations.

• 2 weeks later...

Capt BJ:

I thought the same when the dive shop was trying to sell me on the split fins. I went and did a lot of reading and waited until the price fell to a close out of $79.00 for my Oceanic V12's. I love them. I do get more thrust from them than my Blades. THe V12's are bulky and a bit on the heavy side, but I drag them with me on all of my trips. They do have a "floppy feel" out of the water, but they work well.

I love to SCUBA and snorkel and I use both types of fins depending on what I am doing. The split fins are easier on my leg muscles and they seem to be nicer for turning in the water. I feel like I can corner easier with them. For snorkeling I wear smaller blade fins one, because they are easier to pack and two, because they provide a bit more propulsion for getting through the water faster. I'm never in a hurry when I dive but when I snorkel I like to be able to go fast if I need to.

I agree with the OP about going to a good dive shop. They will help outfit you with the best gear for your needs. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For snorkeling I'd get solid fins. Scuba...depends.

Split fins are typically more efficient. You'll use less air swimming the same distance underwater. Solid fins tend to be easier to maneuver. General diving I'd go split, but when I'm doing underwater photography solid are nice since its easier to adjust my position with small movements.

Open back fins are more flexible and easier to get in and out of, but need boots.

Any diving fin is way more fin than you normally need snorkeling and air efficiency is a non-issue unless you're thinking of skin-diving.

Archived