Holland America Rocks - Just back from the Rotterdam

adventuregrrl

We've been on two Olivia cruises on Holland America and, of course, within that context the crew was great to this lesbian couple.

We just returned from a "regular" 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Rotterdam with my better half's parents. The crew was truly outstanding and friendly with us, from the room steward, to our morning room service breakfast, all the way through our concierge.

HAL gave us a huge surpise too -- When we checked in for our cruise, they called over the port manager who said he would help us to our room. He took our room cards, so we didn't see until we got to our room that our room number had changed. When the concierge opened our door, we found out that we'd been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite!

I have no idea how or why this happened, but we were so excited that the upgrade fairy smiled upon us.

Great photos and happy you had a GREAT time. We sailed the Neiuw Amsterdam on an RSVP trip to Caribbean. Good ships and good crew.

It looks like you visited a zoo along the way. (I think that was a gibbon but could be wrong.) What zoo? Worth it??

It looks like you visited a zoo along the way. (I think that was a gibbon but could be wrong.) What zoo? Worth it??

Yes - in Kristiansand we visited the big zoo/nature park in Norway - Dyrepark. It's a large zoo with really nice enclosures for the animals. The park has lots of trails through the forest, so we ended up walking about 3 miles (which is a good thing after lots of good food on the Rotterdam).

We especially enjoyed the animals of Norway exhibit and the traditional buildings like this one.

7155861897_fd8fa50220_n.jpg

Dyrepark is about 10 km outside of Kristiansand, so we took public transit and got to see some of the countryside. It was a great way to spend the day topped off with fish and chips and a beer at a waterfront cafe.

More Kristiansand, Norway pics are at:

• 2 months later...

Wow, fantastic photos! I leave on Aug 25 for a 2 week cruise of Norway and now I'm really excited! And if I had your luck of upgrade, I think I'd pass out! Of course, the likelihood of getting a suite from an inside cabin is prolly zero %! Thanx for sharing!

Archived