Hilton Garden Inn LAX pre-cruise suggestion

jaynak

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Lax (as opposed to the Hilton Inn Lax) last week pre-cruise. Although it is NOT in San Pedro or Long Beach - IF you are just interested in a great place to stay, I would highly recommend it. We called them from the airport (free phone lines on the wall near luggage carosels at LAX) - they were there to get us within 10 min. Offered to take us to Manhatten Beach for the evening which was about a 15 min drive away (no charge - just a tip for the driver)- then picked us up again a couple hours later (again no charge!). They recommended the Rock N Fish in Manhatten Beach for supper and it was amazing! In the evening we used their outdoor pool and hot tub - very clean and in a lovely setting. The room was beautiful as was the whole hotel.

Our room came with b'fast for ($89 night) which was actually their Sunday Brunch. We really couldn't believe the great deal it is. Sunday after brunch they offered to call a SUV taxi for us (they saw all our luggage!) and the tab for the drive to San Pedro was about $45.00 and took less than 1/2 hour in Sunday traffic.

There are other reviews and photos on Tripadvisor.com

I wasn't the least bit sorry that we didn't stay in San Pedro after seeing what a commercial area it is. Long Beach may be nicer but our evening at Manhatten Beach couldn't be beat anyway! Just thought someone might be interested... :)

thanks for the great and helpful review.

we are sailing on the Monarch May 23 and are flying out ahead of time on May 21 with intentions of staying and sightseeing in the LAX area rather than San Pedro or Long Beach.

I haven't seen many posts about other hotels in the LAX area.

Thanks for the tip about Manhatten Beach and where to eat.

any other pointers?

Can't wait!

you're most welcome - I learned so much on these boards before we left. I can't think of anything else to tell you - you'd think I work for the Hilton with the glowing review I've given them - but really the hotel and staff were both amazing! :)

There is no sightseeing around LAX. It's a bad neighborhood, not one to walk around.....Manhattan Beach is very nice, upscale beach community, about 20 minute ride. Hire a taxi or driver and spend your time there. Lots of great restaurants with ocean views. Happy Sailing!

If you want a much nicer area to stay, and more interesting, try Santa Monica. It's north of LAX about 10-15 minutes. There are great shops and restaurants, nice hotels, and areas you can walk along and look at the sun setting into the Pacific. Third Street Promenade is a pedestrian shopping area with lots of good stores. You can then take either a Super Shuttle or Prime Time van to San Pedro the day of your departure.

We're staying in El Segundo. Will be renting a van to hopefully get to see Malibu and Venice Beach, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, UCLA, and also ride through Manhatten Beach and Redondo beach during our precruise stay.

have never been there.

If we stayed in Venice/Santa Monica for our pre cruise what would the cost of a SUV or larger taxi be for a party of 8? We would book hotel through Priceline or hotwire. Would it be better to just stay around LAX and take pubic transportation to Venice Beach then taxi from LAX to San Pedro?

Portsider - you mentioned staying in El Segundo. The Hilton Garden Inn LAX - (which is what the original post was about) is in El Segundo. There are undoubtedly much nicer areas in greater LA to stay, as has been brought up, however if you want to go somewhere fast, have one night to be there, want to stay in a very nice hotel and only have time for one or two specific events ie. supper and a walk on the beach - and want to be somewhat economical - it is a great place! :)

Archived