Cannes Hotel Near Pier

cavkc

We are taking a Crystal cruise which starts in Cannes .. not a normal embarkation port but they have spilt the cruise into different segments.

Considering staying the night before close to the Port .. any hotel suggestions? Dont want anything too expensive, preferably under the 100 Euro mark

There are quite a few inexpensive small hotels in Cannes, but most of them are several blocks inland not close to the port. The Hotel Splendid is probably a good solution since it is near the tender pier and a decent free sandy beach (Plage du Midi)...but I suspect you will not find a room there for much less then 100 Euros. This hotel is actually a pretty decent bargain given its superior location within walking distance of all the best parts of Cannes. It is also not far from a street called the Rue Sainte Antoine..which has quite a few reasonably priced good restaurants. At night this narrow street becomes somewhat magical as many of the neighborhood restaurants set-up tables outside (with clothes drying on clotheslines above) and various musicians stroll among the diners (always looking for a tip). When we stay in Cannes we will stroll this street checking out all the daily specials and prices before we finally decide where to spend our evening.

Hank

Thanks

I havent had the info from Crystal as yet but do you think it will be a tender rather than docked?

Well. if they dock they will certainly run aground and not get "undocked." There is no docking facility in Cannes for large ships.

Hank

Now that wouldnt be good lol

We cant actually board until 2pm so any recommendations for a hotel with a swimming pool would be good (cant stand a beach .. sand .. yuke)

We are currently at the "shore" and are always amused by all the folks who come to beach resorts and spend all their time at the pool (they hate the sand). But to answer your question we really have no clue about pools and its a great question since plenty of European hotels do not have pools. You might want to do some research and a good place to start is Venere.com since you can view hotels by location on that excellent booking site (they are big in Europe).

Hank

Many thanks Hank

If I find somewhere and it ends up being decent, I'll certainly post the info on here.

Re. the sand, apparently even as a toddler I would scream as soon as the sand touched my feet and it hasnt got any better! I tolerated it when the boys were young but not anymore! The daft thing is, I love swimming in the sea .. go figure!

Many thanks Hank

If I find somewhere and it ends up being decent, I'll certainly post the info on here.

Re. the sand, apparently even as a toddler I would scream as soon as the sand touched my feet and it hasnt got any better! I tolerated it when the boys were young but not anymore! The daft thing is, I love swimming in the sea .. go figure!

DW just suggested you should go to Nice where the beach is full of pebbles and rocks. She figures you could walk across the beach without ever touching any sand :) One of the weird things about the French Riviera is that most folks would expect that places like Nice and Antibes have fabulous beaches...but the reality is that most of the beaches east of Cannes have pebbles (and some rocks) and would not even be considered a real beach on the east coast of the US where we expect all beaches to be nice and sandy.

Hank

Archived